Shooting with your weak hand...

This is a discussion on Shooting with your weak hand... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious......How many of you,when you're at your favorite practice range, shoot with your weak hand and/or your non-dominamt eye?? I know in a perfect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with your weak hand...

Just curious......How many of you,when you're at your favorite practice range, shoot with your weak hand and/or your non-dominamt eye?? I know in a perfect world we will never sustain an injury to our strong hand or have something obscure our dominant eye but.....................

Most times I will shoot some, with weak hand using both eyes. Next time out I will try shooting weak hand and with "weak" eye only and see how it works.
    Weak hand is only good for 3 or 4 rounds and then acuracy goes away. This is with a 1911, .45acp. With a J-frame in .357 magnum, one shot is all it takes or all I can handle weak handed.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Sometimes I forget to practice with weak hand. I need to get in the habit again, as I'll be needing to re-qualify for my permit this upcoming year. When I do shoot weak handed, I still use my dominant eye. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sometimes I forget to practice with weak hand. I need to get in the habit again, as I'll be needing to re-qualify for my permit this upcoming year. When I do shoot weak handed, I still use my dominant eye. Nothing wrong with that is there?
    Nothing wrong with that unless your dominant eyes is injured. ie.blowback,dirt,etc. My point is that we should all practice what is unconfortable and difficult.....just in case.

Senior Moderator
    Every Range trip I shoot weak hand and from retention. I don't fire a lot of rounds this way but I do squeeze off a couple of mags
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I almost always shoot with my "weak" hand when I go to the range, but very rarely with my non-dominant eye. I'll have to start doing that though...thanks...

-Jeff-

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 820Larry View Post
    Just curious......How many of you,when you're at your favorite practice range, shoot with your weak hand and/or your non-dominamt eye??
    I do from time to time. I'm pretty horrible with it, though; probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a weakling. My left arm is not strong enough to hold the gun out and pull the trigger while keeping it on target. In a SD situation if my right arm were disabled I would try to lean up against something to steady my shots if possible.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Some practice with my weak hand, but not regular training...

Note to self: Train more with weak hand.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How about reloading with only one hand? I think that's good to practice.

This video helped me figure out how I would go about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcdDLGngnY

Quote Originally Posted by 820Larry View Post
    How many of you,when you're at your favorite practice range, shoot with your weak hand and/or your non-dominamt eye??
    I don't have a weak hand. I shoot with both eyes open and practice every time with my support hand.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I shoot one-handed with each hand during almost every range session. There is no shooting with one eye or the other; I use both eyes for virtually all shooting. FWIW, it can be difficult for me to define my weak hand. In my younger years, my right side was stronger, but I performed delicate and skilled tasks as a lefty. Because my right arm was stronger, I tended to hold handguns more steadily in right-hand mode, and being left-eye-dominant, would tilt my head a bit to get my left eye behind the sights.

I still tend to shoot 1911 pistols and DA revolvers better a bit better with the right hand, and shoot Glocks and most non-1911 single-action handguns better as a lefty. So, I am not truly ambidextrous. Must be dain bramage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

My opinion is you should use your dominant eye ALL the time no matter what hand you are shooting with. With weak hand, I cant the gun in just a little bit which seems to help this. Of course that is just my opinion.

I try to shoot both weak hand and strong hand during practice. I also shoot with both eyes open at close range (15yds or less). I also practice once per week or more.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I always use range time to practice weak-hand shooting. Both of my eyes stay open when I shoot, so that is a given. You never know - during an incident, your strong hand might become incapacitated...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

About 10% of the time I shoot weak hand and always use both eyes. I doubt that during a shooting you will have time to think about which eye to use since you both of your eyes will be open like pie plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links