Serious advice needed mainly from the 870 crowd

This is a discussion on Serious advice needed mainly from the 870 crowd within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, here's the deal. I've seen quite a lot of new 870 shotguns coming into the hands of some forum members here lately, myself included. ...

View Poll Results: 870 fore end tool

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make all this information publicly available

6 17.65%
  • Post pics and instructions here on the forum

13 38.24%
  • Offer these to the members at basic cost and shipping

1 2.94%
  • Offer printed instructional materials for the DIYers

4 11.76%
  • Go with the get rich quick scheme and obtain a patent

10 29.41%

Thread: Serious advice needed mainly from the 870 crowd

Okay, here's the deal. I've seen quite a lot of new 870 shotguns coming into the hands of some forum members here lately, myself included. I got a bone stock 870 Express HD model 7-shot. Some have some other variations, but still the same basic shotgun. The fore end that comes on these stock is extra long in my opinion, and runs down over the underneath side of the receiver. Personally, I like to work on my own firearms, and keep tools for the purpose. I wanted to try some options out on my 870 for different fore ends for obvious reasons. I've seen a couple of 870 fore end tools available for sale on the internet, and they average about $20 for these tools. You can find some on EBay matter of fact. Thing is, being somewhat ingenious (in my own mind), I've made my own 870 fore end wrenches that work, and I can build these at home, in the work shop with some basic tools and materials. I've made three varieties.....wood, plastic, and metal. Now....here is where I'm seriously asking for forum input here.
    My outlook on things:
    A. With what I've done and created, I don't think anyone should be paying $20 for a tool like this when they could make one at home
    B. I could put together a DIY kit for anyone to assemble at home, or fully assembled and ship. I could do this in three different degrees. Just parts, ready to assemble, or complete.
    C. This is not a for sale thread, and it's by no means a get rich quick scheme for me. I just figure it's so simple, and I should share it with the forum and the 870 owners that would like to swap their fore end, or be able to fully break down their shotgun for cleaning or problems.
    D. Anyone who searches the internet with the right keywords could find products, prices, and images of tools for this purpose. They may also come up with ideas of their own. I've already made these DIY, and done five of these for myself and perfected them, and they are definitely basic and simple.
    Where I'm looking for suggestions and input:
    #1. Do I market these without a patent?
    #2. Do I post pictures of these tools to the world?
    #3. Do I make and post some basic diagrams or drawings with a list of materials and a how-to instruction manual so forum members can build their own?
    #4. How many would be interested in having such a tool?
    I appreciate your replies.

PLEASE DON'T FILL UP MY INBOX
    Anyone can e-mail me through the site link.

I have a 870 coming at Christmas from Santa. I'm probably going to go with the Hogue or Knoxx forend myself. Since most people may only change their forend once or twice in their lifetime owning the special tool doesn't make much sense. If you were a real pal, you'd allow us to borrow yours and then we could pass it around with maybe a user fee and postage.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

I think Remington's patent expired sometime ago(if they had one), which is why you see several products by several after-market makers. There's only so many ways to skin this cat.

I'm sure you'd have some buyers, for those who aren't "DIY"ers, and some would surely appreciate the plans...

Do I make and post some basic diagrams or drawings with a list of materials and a how-to instruction manual so forum members can build their own?
    That would be great.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks RamRod
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

A million bucks is over rated anyways
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

Well, I was going to make a materials list and a tools list, but it is pretty simple. The t handle might not be necessary. Left to right is 3/4 electrical pvc sch 80 (sch 40 should be the same O.D.), 3/4" EMT (thin wall) conduit, and a 1" wooden dowel that actually measures .970". The 3/16" roll pin is the only thing to make consistent in measurement......it needs to be about 1.125" with equal amounts on each side of the tube or as close as possible.
    Well, maybe, but if this stuff starts showing up on EBay, I'm getting a lawyer.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; November 26th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.

My SUREFIRE fore end came with a tool for removing and installing the fore end.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    My SUREFIRE fore end came with a tool for removing and installing the fore end.
    It probably should for the price you paid. I'd expect the same thing with any swap-out product actually. Unfortunately some of them don't.

Guys and gals who have 870's need to know that with regular shooting the fore arm will become loose, thus having one of these type tools is important. I am one of 4 department armourers and service about 40-50 shotguns every year. I find the fore arm works itself loose and needs to be check each time you clean your gun. If the fore arm becomes loose your gun will not chamber a round. Thanks for posting the picks of your home made tools, they look fairly easy to make and like I said are a very important tool every owner should have.

Get the patent. You can always give it away later.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links