Ammunition Accountability Act

This is a discussion on Ammunition Accountability Act within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody seen this? I got it in email today. Is this for real? http://www.usavsus.info/US-AmmoRegistr.htm It basically says that state by state they are trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Accountability Act

Anybody seen this? I got it in email today. Is this for real?

http://www.usavsus.info/US-AmmoRegistr.htm

It basically says that state by state they are trying to introduce legislation to force all ammunition manufacturers to encode every round they produce that links to a database that tells who bought the ammo, where, when, etc. This way they think they can link people to cimes where a gun was used.

What a crock of sh**!

how would they encode it? In some cases bullets get destroyed after being shot.

have seen a number of proposals like that. Sounds like a lot of paperwork. The main intend is likely to up the price of ammo for legal shooters. The BG will just go ahead and rob insufficiently secured gun stores as they do now.

There are a couple similar proposals as well:
    - add markers to fertilizers and other materials that can be used as explosives.
    - micro-engrave serial numbers in firing pins to have them "stamp" each casing as the bullet is fired.
    - track ammunition purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    how would they encode it? In some cases bullets get destroyed after being shot.
    a lot of this is about serial numbers on casings... just watch the movies... the bad guy never picks them up, and they always use a semiautomatic!

There are ways to mark bullets. Similar to marking bulk explosives, they could add chemical tracers / nano tracers. But this could not be done on a per-bullet basis without excessive costs. More something to do for each lot. And our backed up crime labs have to learn to interpret these tracers.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Washington State just voted down the bill.

jfl
    It has been around for a while; a pet project of our good friend Ted.
    I don't see it coming soon. The technology is not there yet.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

BAC
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Politics on this forum
    I don't see this as political in nature. It is directly related to guns and our ability to maintain our way of life.

The one thing with which I definitely agree is that we must be accountable for every round we fire. Can anyone dispute that?

Now, the legislation and current technology does allow for achieving that goal with any sort of consistency and justice. That does not mean it is not a good goal. The antis also want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Does anyone disagree with that goal?

Some think there should be no accountability. Let the bullets fly where they may. We are 'good' guys. No need to answer to any authority on any subject.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would think it will cost the ammunition companies a lot of money to obtain the equipment to microstamp their ammo. Forensic scientists are already able to match up fired bullets to the gun that was used.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I don't know if this is common knowledge, so I'll put it out anyway.

If you fire a Taser, along with the electrodes that come out of the unit are also bunches of micro-dots. Each micro-dot has the serial number of that particular cartridge embeded on it. The investigaters only have to pick ONE up and scan it and they know where the cartridge was purchase and who purchased it.

Don't think that they could do this for real ammo? Yeah, it would be tough given the heat and pressures that are being vented, but watch your back....somebody will figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I don't see this as political in nature. It is directly related to guns and our ability to maintain our way of life.

The one thing with which I definitely agree is that we must be accountable for every round we fire. Can anyone dispute that?

Now, the legislation and current technology does allow for achieving that goal with any sort of consistency and justice. That does not mean it is not a good goal. The antis also want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Does anyone disagree with that goal?

Some think there should be no accountability. Let the bullets fly where they may. We are 'good' guys. No need to answer to any authority on any subject.
    I agree that the antis want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals. I also think that they believe that all private firearms need to be banned. I guess it comes down to whether or not we can trust them.

Michael

Since when is talking about legislation to restrict ammo for your gun, Political ? It's talking laws and pending legislation directly related to our use of guns.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tes-yours.html

If you don't think they are trying to "ORGANIZE" nationally... then you need to read these :

Legislation
    www.ammunitionaccountability.com

They think they will be able to trace the bullet to a shooter in a crime..... I see black market and stolen ammo on the rise now. As well as the defense, "someone stole that box of ammo from my house". So, it's a useless effort, and more to control how much ammo you can buy, use, etc. because they want to limit you to buying only 1 box per month.

All "un-coded" ammo... their plan .... it would be a felony to own any by 2010.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Swing and miss, sir.

Second Amendment Discussion & News

Only pointing out the more appropriate place to post this is probably not the General Firearm Discussion area.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Buy your ammo now, and as much as possible!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 26th, 2008 at 02:19 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links