Thinking about trying to get an AR15 before the President Elect takes over. Help!!

Thinking about trying to get an AR15 before the President Elect takes over. Help!!

This is a discussion on Thinking about trying to get an AR15 before the President Elect takes over. Help!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I really want to get an AR before they get banned but I'm uneducated on the gun world especially in the tactical and defensive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well I really want to get an AR before they get banned but I'm uneducated on the gun world especially in the tactical and defensive area..........So I need some help.

I dont have alot of cash floating around but want something reliable, easy to find parts/accessories for and fairly light. I want 308 or 223 cal size, adjustable stock. But other than that I dont know what to really look for.

I have been looking at DPMS and found a few that I like. I wouldnt mind doing a kit but being that I dont know much I am kinda timid about that as I'm sure I dont have all the proper tools and what not. I'm not affraid to try and build a kit if I had the tools.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 27th, 2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: potentially offensive terminology in title

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a Bushmaster and it serves my purpose really well. I mostly use it for varmint hunting and long distance target fun. My Bushy has operated perfectly since broken in and is a joy to shoot.

AR15 is .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO
    AR10 is .308 caliber (typically)

I see you are from Tremonton, go to Impact guns in Ogden and take a look at the AR's they have in stock. You could probably find cheaper prices in SLC but Impact is close to you and you can shoot either gun at their range before you buy.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

BAC
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

If you like .308, get a PTR-91 or an FAL. No benefit to the "AR-style" with this caliber. Parts are cheaper as well (for the moment).

Edit to add: Don't panic buy. Stop. Think. Buy a rifle that suits your needs. ARs are cool, but having a rifle that you aren't familiar enough with to do your own repairs & maintenance is probably not the wisest choice. Both the G3 clone (PTR) and the FAL are easier to work/more neglect tolerant than most mid-entry level ARs.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If you are not already an AR guy, why go there? As mentioned above, there are better platforms out there. FWIW, I traded an AR for a customized Remington 870 shortly AFTER the election. The "war" rifles that I find interesting are things like Garands, M14s, FALs, and the G3 derivatives. I actually own a Mini-14, under-rated by many, but totally adequate for anything I want to do with .223, and an understudy rifle if I ever acquire another Garand or get an M1A or M14.

I got way from carbine-length ARs because the front sight was just too close to my aging eyes. The horrible ergonomics of the AR may keep me away, or I may find a lower onto which to mount my HBAR upper, because if I want to carry a rifle at work, on patrol, at least until sometime next fall, my only option is some type of iron-sighted AR15 with .223 55-grain softpoints. Period.

It is quite frustrating that right now, AR lowers are very much sold out, back-ordered, or, if available, priced quite high for stuff that has, in many cases, already been picked-over. This is not a good time to buy an AR. You are about a year too late.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    The horrible ergonomics of the AR may keep me away...
    I have never heard that description of an AR before.

-B

If this will be a firearm you plan to shoot alot you will want to take into account the costs involved. .308's are becoming very expensive to shoot in large amounts now days.

Michael

If you are going to look at building one from the ground up you will need a few tools that can be expensive. You might want to look at purchasing a complete lower and a complete upper, you can normally save a few bucks and all you have to do is pin it together.

I'm happy with the BushMaster AR in .223...it works for me.

Stay armed...but do so quickly...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I have never heard that description of an AR before.

-B
    (1) Sights mounted high above the bore. The AR shares this with quite a few other modern military designs, of course. At CQB/ECQ distances, the user had better remember the offset! Don't shoot your cover, and don't shoot the hostage! Also quite important, is that when using horizontally-oriented cover, the shooter must expose more of his head to opposing fire. Sometimes, it is not possible to shoot around the side of cover, and over the top is the only option.

(2) Non-intuitive safety lever. Obviously, this is an individual thing, as some may like it. Give me the safety lever of an FAL or M-14/M1A any day, and the G3 type is not too bad, either.

(3) Closely related to #2 above, an AR's ambidextrous safety is such that the lever opposite the firing-hand thumb digs into the palm near the base of the index finger. At least, it does this to my hands. Being a lefty, this IS a factor. I just learned that JP Enterprises sells a safety with one lever that can be positioned on either side, a truly positive step. The Garand-style safety is truly ambidextrous. An FAL standard safety is not difficult for a lefty to operate, and the G3 style is tolerable.

(4) Saw-handle rear grip. Again, a personal thing with me, but then, all ergonomic factors are quite personal.

(5) Front sight too close to the eye. As I get older, I want that front sight farther and farther from my face. Forbidden to use optics by my commanders, I first gave up carbine-length ARs, and I already see that rifle-length ARs are becoming a problem, unless I use the smaller aperture. I can still easily see the front sight of a Mini-14, Garand, etc.

If it was only the ergos, it would not be so bad. But, the AR spews carbon residue into its innards; an AR is an inherently dirty, filthy weapon, unless it is a piston-operated model. The new piston-type ARs do have my attention. I am not so sure my agency would let me qual with one; part of my annual rifle qual is the step-by-step stripping and reassembly, for one thing, and my agency will appoint committees and study things to death before allowing changes to occur.

I want to like the AR, really. It is difficult. Once I am free to use optics, either by a rule change, or my retirement, the AR will be better for me. Even on my own time, a defensive shooting is considered line-of-duty, and I had best use agency-spec weapons.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Horrible ergonomics, are yo kidding? Have you ever actually fired one? I have 7, used many in 24 years of the military.
    I use Colts for Tactical carry, but oone son loves his Rock River National Match A-2, and another loves his Bushmaster M-4gery. Both have the A-2 models and I got them both Aimpoing goosneck mounts and EOTech red dot sights.

Shop around, find something you like and are comfortable. It is possible that Pres. Elec. O will manage to ban them within his first 30 days, but it is a slim chance.

I wanted an AR 30 until the price went up $400 in two months (beginning of the year). Now I am back to a Dragunov replica in 7.62x54. Slightly cheaper than an AR, more than an AK or SKS, CHEAPER AMMO than both.

Academic proposition for me anyhow. $1k or $10k, I don't even have $300 in WAM (Walking Around Money). Darn lucky the wife approved the reloading setup.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Horrible ergonomics, are yo kidding? Have you ever actually fired one?
    Yes, I have fired them, and owned two. I am in the process of gathering the parts for another lower, to pair with my HBAR upper, now. Necessary evils, in that I am only certified to use the AR if I want to carry a patrol rifle, at least until late 2009, when I may have an opportunity to be certified with a different design. Even a gas-piston AR, if reliable, with the JP Enterprises reversible safety, or similar, would, in my opinion, be a vast improvement.

If I didn't know any better, I might think the AR wonderful. But, I was acquainted, to varying degrees, with other weapons first. FWIW, there was no AR15-flavored kool-aid in my formative years. I spoke to, and read the writing of, returning Vietnam vets who hated the M16. (One, in my hometown, acquired a shotgun, and used that during his tour. Being a radio operator, I guess he was acquainted enough with his LT to be allowed that freedom.) The M16A2 came along later and made things MUCH better, and things gradually improved more through the 1980s and 90s, into this century. The AR has become like a religion, almost. I remember when it was otherwise.

I said in my first post in this thread, I just don't see why the originator of this topic should feel he has to go with an AR, if nothing compels him to us the AR. There are other options, and I am not the only one to mention those options.

Edited to add: As I made clear in my earlier post, ergonomics are an individual thing. If an AR fits you, more power to you.

There are kits out there for converting an AR-15 to make them piston driven. I am seeing more of those being offered. I don't know how the quality/reliability on those conversion kits are. It's a possible option if you have an aversion to direct gas impingement system that AR-15 rifles use. Or consider a manufacturer who produces piston driven AR-15s. AK-47 rifles are another option. I don't mind mine as is.

BAC
    Rexster, out of curiosity, what rifles do you feel comfortable with, ergonomics wise? I can't relate to your feeling about the AR since it fits me fine, and I disagree with your statement that there are better platforms out there (since "for what" wasn't defined), but I'm very interested in what you feel fits you and what you do best with, if you've had the chance to compare results.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links