Pistol range ?

This is a discussion on Pistol range ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I've been shooting for quite a few years. With that being said I've never been to a real shooting range anywhere. I'm just wondering ...

Thread: Pistol range ?

Pistol range ?

Ok I've been shooting for quite a few years. With that being said I've never been to a real shooting range anywhere. I'm just wondering what the typical distance is for a pistol range. I have a great place to shoot on my property with a huge earth backstop. And I would like a setup as much like a real pistol range as possible.
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Distances could be anywhere from 0 to 25-35 yards.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, on a formal range (outdoor), the target stands are typically set at 25 yds from the firing line. Indoor ranges typically have targets that run out to any length you wish to stop them at. Personally, I like the outdoor range better than the indoor range. When I go, I usually have the place to myself, and I'll shoot from 7-10yds out in the open. I do live in the country, but my backstop consists of a self built metal stop which I mainly use for 22lr. 9mm SD loads leave some noticeable dents in the 1/8" metal, but I have done it a few times. Set up your range, and stand and fire from wherever you want. I figure your berm should be at least 5' higher than the ground you're shooting from depending on terrain. My local gun club range has berms twice this high, but you always end up shooting uphill as the firing line is lowest.

Thats great I've got the room for approx 50 yards. Thanks for the quick reply
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security."
    Thomas Jefferson

Ram Rod, my berm is man made and its over 8' in height and about 20' in diamter at the base sorta like a piramid only the top is kinda flat. I thought about building a metal catch can with a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate as a stop. But I picked up a couple of dump loads of dirt so much cheaper (free). I'm going to make a few plinkers & spinners out of some sheet metal drops I have just for kicks.
    Thomas Jefferson

On your own property? Lucky guy...

Shooting SD, I would set something up to cover 3-15 yards...the distances we use at our private range.
    The BG is beyond 15 yards? I'm running...

Stay armed...enjoy the backyard shooting, I jealous...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The pistol range that I use has backstop berms set up at distances of 3 meters, 7 meters, and 15 meters. Most of my practice is done at 7 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    On your own property? Lucky guy...

Shooting SD, I would set something up to cover 3-15 yards...the distances we use at our private range.
    The BG is beyond 15 yards? I'm running...

Stay armed...enjoy the backyard shooting, I jealous...stay safe!

It's nothing to be jealous over as its just a pile of dirt (very large pile) behind my garage. But I do feel blessed to have a place to pile some dirt. Most of the neighbors are family so when the caps start poping they know whats going on. I can see I need to mark off a lot of different spots and pop off as many as I can afford to from each spot. If the berm were bigger I would just set the targets at different distances but for safety reasons I'll move back and forth.
    Thomas Jefferson

The berms for our pistol ranges at the river range are actually 180 semi circles. They set up nicely for competition. Sounds like you've got a good place to practice close to home. I thought two miles to the range close for me. Just don't get no better! Be safe.

Lead Moderator
    When I was with an Army marksmanship unit we always fired the National Match Course, so I'd have to say 25 and 50 yards!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

+1 we shoot 25 to 50 yards at our range, our berms are wooden log ends set into dirt bank.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Links