Felon arrested at gunshow

This is a discussion on Felon arrested at gunshow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen | Felon Arrested at Gun Show The officer recognized Gregorio Martinez, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felon arrested at gunshow

Felon arrested at gunshow

KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen | Felon Arrested at Gun Show

The officer recognized Gregorio Martinez, a convicted felon, carrying a handgun around at the show and watched as Martinez tried to purchase the AK-47. When he failed the background checks necessary to buy a gun, he then tried to trade the handgun for the rifle. Again being denied by the vendor, the two men left.

He was arrested and transported to jail without incident.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What the "gun show loop hole" didn't let him buy a gun? What will the Brady Bunch say about that! [sarcasm off]

Good job on the off duty LEO spotting the BG's, and apparently calling in the calvary. Hope they throw away the key on the scumbag.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well, someone was on their toes weren't they? So....the system works? What a surprise! We don't need any more oppressive laws at gun shows? I'm flabbergasted.

They weren't trying to buy an AK to go hunting,I hope they get the max for felon in posession of a firearm and attempting to buy a firearm knowing it was illegal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

that makes me feel better... time to go to jail bum.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

He'll get at least the weekend in jail...forced to eat a lot of turkey, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

nice to see some one was on there toes to styop that buy, I hope he got put away for a while.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Isn't it reassuring to see criminals who are not very smart...

Of course it's a problem if you keep letting them out to refine their technique until they finally figure it out and manage to kill some innocent person, rather than just cutting the whole thing short after one or two times.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Definition of "gunshow loophole"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What the "gun show loop hole" didn't let him buy a gun?
    It sounded like the felon was trying to buy the AK47 from a licensed FFL dealer, who is required to run the background check before making a sale.

The "gunshow loophole" is actually something else - a direct sale of a used gun by the owner to another individual. There is no Federal law restricting this, as long as the individuals are both residents of the state where the sale is taking place. Some states have laws requiring dealer involvement, but many states do not. Hence the "gunshow loophole" name - but it could take place anywhere and doesn't have to be at a gunshow. So the name is misleading.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

+1. By NOT supporting closing the FTF loophole at gunshows I believe we are doing ourselves as gun owners a disservice. Makes us look idiotic to the Brady types, and both sides just get entrenched. The problem is to effective, FTF's would need to be banned everywhere unless an FFL was involved. Trying to regulate FTF's everywhere would be near impossible, esp in States that don't require registration (Florida for one).

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    +1. By NOT supporting closing the FTF loophole at gunshows I believe we are doing ourselves as gun owners a disservice.
    By giving up a liberty to achieve security, we will have niether. I'm paraphrasing of course, but if you don't catch my meaning we're already screwed.

By the way, what does Failure To Feed, have to do with gunshows?

I thought there is no back ground check on rifles????

Don't say that too loud rusty they may make us register our guns next.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    It sounded like the felon was trying to buy the AK47 from a licensed FFL dealer, who is required to run the background check before making a sale.

The "gunshow loophole" is actually something else - a direct sale of a used gun by the owner to another individual. There is no Federal law restricting this, as long as the individuals are both residents of the state where the sale is taking place. Some states have laws requiring dealer involvement, but many states do not. Hence the "gunshow loophole" name - but it could take place anywhere and doesn't have to be at a gunshow. So the name is misleading.
    I was being sarcastic. I am well aware that only FFL sales require it. There is no background check required on the sale of guns through private owners. . But the Brady Bunch could care less who sales the weapon. Their spin on gun shows is everyone is selling guns without checks being ran.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    +1. By NOT supporting closing the FTF loophole at gunshows I believe we are doing ourselves as gun owners a disservice. Makes us look idiotic to the Brady types, and both sides just get entrenched. The problem is to effective, FTF's would need to be banned everywhere unless an FFL was involved. Trying to regulate FTF's everywhere would be near impossible, esp in States that don't require registration (Florida for one).
    The problem is that if we allow the closure of the 'gun show loophole'.......The next thing to happen is registration of ALL sales.

The anti's would not be satisfied if we said 'Ok' to banning FTF sales at gunshows.....They would then want to ban FTF sales EVERYWHERE.... Remember the anti's goal is NO FIREARMS in private hands!

This would be adding a TAX to all gun sales. You would have to take your gun for sale to a FFL to record the transaction & get the Brady check done....(THE FFL ISN'T GOING TO DO THIS FOR FREE....)...In essence a TAX! Most FFLs charge $25-$50 for a transfer & in Virginia the 'Instant check' is $2 more.....So if the average firearm price is $500, you now have added another 10% 'tax' to the price!

Then you would have the government involved in EVERY FIREARMS TRANSACTION. Even if you wanted to give your guns to your children!

If we give in to this....Where does it end? No matter how much we give up....IT won't be enough for the emotional anti!

(...As a side note, the 'Instant check" for me ISN'T! I'm delayed EVERY time! With the FTF sales stopped, you have not only added a 'tax' but a further inconvenience of the delays caused by an inept bureaucracy.......keep in mind this is a government program.....& when has ANY government program worked as advertised?.....)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links