Guns are Bad

This is a discussion on Guns are Bad within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DaveInTexas There is also that associative thing which I have heard some say as such: if you are a one of those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guns are Bad

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    There is also that associative thing which I have heard some say as such: if you are a one of those 'gun nuts' you are probably a low IQ, knuckle dragging, conspiracy theorist, bambi-killing, rambo-wannabe. Honestly there are people out there who think that way.
    You forgot "beer guzzling, six-pack toting"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just think of it the same as a car. If a person goes out and gets drunk, then gets behind the wheel and injures or kills someone. Is it the car that is bad? Did the car break the law? Is the car responsible for what happened? The answer to all 3 questions is NO. The car is an inanimate object that did what it was created to do, no more, no less.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Guns are bad, really..........

For the wallet that is and peace, harmony with the wife when she see the credit card bill.

Don't show her the bill. (yeah, like that's gona work)

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    How could an inanimate object be bad? Is a rock bad? Guns are not bad, people are bad!
    I find the anti gun sentiment by the so called "liberal elite" to be incredibly stupid. Firearms have been banned in England for decades, yet gun voilence is at an all time high.

The anti gun crowd are just the same old serfs trying to increase their master's power for some imagined reward (security) that doesn't and has never existed.

DaveInTexas,
    You may find this web site helpful Gun Facts - Your guide for debunking gun control myth look for the pdf Gun Facts version 5.0. I haven't read all of it but what I have read was very informative.

TB

will do, TB

The Brady bunch will tell you that someone dies every 60 seconds by gun violence. What is conveniently left out is just how many are police shootings and self defense, they never mention that every 48 seconds in America a gun is used to stop a violent crime often without firing a single shot!

As for shooting someone in your family? Well just because your related don’t mean they don’t need killing. (Some may see the last statement a bit harsh but it is true)

I am reading stuff on Wiki....what is this agreement between Clinton and S&W in 2000? Seems like it had gun owners up in 'arms'.

Oh boy. I think this is an important discussion. This thread just shows a problem both "antis" and "pros" keep having: They just don't "get" each other. "Antis" are not all liberal, pot smoking, hybrid driving, long haired hippies.

Like with many conflicts, lot could be gained if both groups listen to each other. I used to be an "anti", and I am not anymore because I took the time to listen, and some "pros" took the time to talk to me.

One thing that concerns me about some of the "pro" arguments is that the need to carry concealed is frequently mentioned last. A lot of the arguments center around hunting and competition shooting. Personally, I am not a hunter. I don't mind hunters, but it is nothing that gets me excited on either site. My main concern is the ability to carry concealed. However, I do understand that this right comes with responsibilities. E.g. I have to guard my handgun from unauthorized access / theft. I have to try my best to become proficient in using it. In my opinion, issues like this makes a responsible gun owner an "anti" will be able to live with.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

This is very frustrating. For whatever reason, I decided to really seek out different viewpoints tonight. I have almost every day for a while now, but I really kicked it up a notch tonight. I'm the sort of person who, if you oppose my viewpoint, I really have trouble resting until I understand WHY you oppose me. I can't just sit here without understanding the other person... maybe it is a flaw on my part.

It's very disheartening, to say the least. It's just very disturbing to me that people are willing to accept thinking that isn't really logical. They just hide behind statistics and circular logic.

Basically, a pro-gun advocate would use logical arguments and common sense for say, something like concealed carry. The anti-gunner would turn around and try to state one tear jerking story (just one), then go on to say "that's insane! That's madness!" and basically make that the premise of their argument. "It's insane because its just... crazy! Come on!!"

That's not an argument, that's just mindless banter. And that seems to convince far too many people these days. I am just really concerned for the future of this country because it seems fewer and fewer people are thinking about basic issues and fail to see situations in other countries for what they really are.

I can't say I always super pro-2A, but the first time I decided to actually do a little bit of research, I realized that it was all much ado about nothing. In the past year or so I've really done a lot of reading an listening and feel I've really opened my mind. I just wish others were willing to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    There is also that associative thing which I have heard some say as such: if you are a one of those 'gun nuts' you are probably a low IQ, knuckle dragging, conspiracy theorist, bambi-killing, rambo-wannabe. Honestly there are people out there who think that way.
    That is their attempt at intellectual superiority. Of course what they fail to realize is that by steroetyping like that they are just broadcasting their own ignorance. What really brings a spotlight on it is how how they react when presented with facts that conflict with their world view.

Next time an anti tries to tell you gun owners are low IQ knuckle draggers, ask them if they are aware that American Mensa has a special interest group for guns. The Washington Metro area chapter actually has a monthly range night at NRA headquarters. Before I moved to Texas I can tell you range night was fairly well attended. Doctors, lawyers, politicians, engineers, physicists, college professors....... knuckle draggers!

See how they react. Are they rational and consider the implications of this conflicting information? Do they go into denial and pretend you never presented the information? You should be careful when dealing with them though. Too much reality too fast can be hard for some types to deal with. Sometimes you have treat them almost like a small child, or someone suffering from dementia. Others can be very volatile and almost psychotic. You have to tread lightly sometimes. Even though their belief is not based on reality as the rest of the world knows it, it is fact to them. If you totally decompensate them they could be facing years of therapy.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Since I'm into the YouTube thing this morning, how about this:

YouTube - Gun Myths

wow, coming from a source like that instead of a group with an interest in guns will be more believable to a lot of people. Thanks for the link, Carry.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    As for the notion that passing a law against the ownership of defensive weapons will be effective in controlling behavior, consider the lesson of the stop sign. Sit by one and watch for a few hours and see how many people voluntarily obey the law.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links