sighting problems; newbie idea

This is a discussion on sighting problems; newbie idea within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am blaming my sighting problems (not a real problem, just want to improve) on the Glock's sights. The front sight is a small rectangle/square ...

Thread: sighting problems; newbie idea

I am blaming my sighting problems (not a real problem, just want to improve) on the Glock's sights. The front sight is a small rectangle/square you line up in a slot on the front sight.
    This sight does is not completely compatible with my eye/brain. It is a struggle for me to have much accuracy trying to line up the front and rear sights...it is simply not intuitive.
    So what I am asking is, can you change out sights on a pistol and put in something either off the shelf or custom made?
    I have in mind a um what is the name - I have seen them on rifles... a 'dot' on a peg for one sight, a circle for the other one, maybe even a tiny crosshair?

Senior Moderator
    You are talking about a "peep" sight. They don't work well for pistols because the rear sight must be very close to the eye. The way the peep works is that you look though it and focus on the top of the front sight. The eye automatically centers both sights so you only have to focus on one. It works for rifles because of the way that you mount the rifle and put you cheek on the stock, your eye is very close to the rear sight.

Since handgun are generally held at arms length and sighted, a peep would be too far away for the eye to automatically center it up, and you are right back to sighting on 3 objects instead of one.

What you need is a red dot sight. Its a small scope that has little or no magnification put has a red dot centered in the field of view, you just put the dot on the target and shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns is suggesting something like this:

Burris FastFire™

It goes right on your slide where your rear sight is. I have used one on a friends G17 - it's awesome. I'd have one on order right now for my HD handgun but I'm throwing my money away on ammunition in case it gets scarce.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

A guy showed me his laser? sight, I need more time with it as I could not figure it out. I guess you just put the red dot on the target and don't worry about how the light is getting where it is! I think I saw them for 300$.

Lead Moderator
    Yes you can switch out sights on Glock pistols. however most sights line up 3 square blocks to form a sight picture. Check out XS sights , or Heinie straight 8's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    I am blaming my sighting problems (not a real problem, just want to improve) on the Glock's sights. The front sight is a small rectangle/square you line up in a slot on the front sight.
    This sight does is not completely compatible with my eye/brain. It is a struggle for me to have much accuracy trying to line up the front and rear sights...it is simply not intuitive.
    So what I am asking is, can you change out sights on a pistol and put in something either off the shelf or custom made?
    I have in mind a um what is the name - I have seen them on rifles... a 'dot' on a peg for one sight, a circle for the other one, maybe even a tiny crosshair?
    Personally, I think you need to go back to basics on the post front rear notch sighting system. Just my opinion, and what I'm making out of all that. Adjustable rear sights should be available for your pistol as well. Lasers and red dots on your pistol? Pth..f.....!

Just a good set of Trijicons will work just fine...day or night.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.htm

I have no experience with them and have not spoken to anybody who has used them, but they do look interesting.

I guess I would first have to ask, what your going to be doing with the pistol? Is this just going to be for target shootin? What is your past experience with guns, rifles or pistols?

If it is going to be carried daily and used for self defense then in my opinion you either need to work on your point shooting techniques or learn to use a common set of sights, and work on your trigger control.

My wife just got a Glock, and the first few magazines she wasn't hitting squat. I picked up the gun and hit dead center of what I was shooting at. After making her dry fire the gun I quickly realized that it was her trigger control. We worked on that a bit and she is shooting much better.

The way I look at it, if you have good shooting fundementals, it really shouldn't matter what type of sights the gun has whether it is a pistol or rifle. If you follow some good basic measures you should hit or come really close to what your aiming at.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lasers are fine and I believe they can be valuable in certain situations but you really need to learn how to use your sights.

If you don't like the standard "notch-and-post" sights, take a look at something like the XS Big Dots.

I would strongly encourage you to get to a class with a good instructor so you can get some professional instruction and instill good habits from the beginning.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    You may want to have someone check your grip. If you do not have your pistol gripped properly, it can throw off your sight picture. If you do not have the backstrap firmly in the web between your thumb and index finger, you will have the gun pointed off-center.

Are you a left or right-handed shooter? Are you left or right-eye dominate?

Do you shoot with both eyes open? or one eye closed (non-dominate eye)

A combination of these things will affect your ability to see your sights and have a proper sight picture.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links