What's up w/ this? - Page 2

What's up w/ this?

This is a discussion on What's up w/ this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you think about it, it couldn't possibly be a magazine problem. The slide is locking back while there are still rounds in the magazine. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you think about it, it couldn't possibly be a magazine problem.

The slide is locking back while there are still rounds in the magazine. In order for the slide to lock back the magazine follower has to be at the top of the magazine to push up against the slide stop - this isn't physically possible while there are rounds in the magazine.

Therefore - it has to be either the shooter pushing the slide stop, or an internal mechanical problem with the gun itself.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If you think about it, it couldn't possibly be a magazine problem.

The slide is locking back while there are still rounds in the magazine. In order for the slide to lock back the magazine follower has to be at the top of the magazine to push up against the slide stop - this isn't physically possible while there are rounds in the magazine.

Therefore - it has to be either the shooter pushing the slide stop, or an internal mechanical problem with the gun itself.

Austin

Duh... you're right. I wasn't thinking it through.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
    I had my Springfield XD 40 sc out to put a few rounds in a target. 3 or 4 times the slide would lock as if the mag was empty, but it wasn't.
    It wasn't a FTF as I could drop the mag and no rounds were left in the gun.
    Put the mag back in and press the slide release and she's close w/o any problems.

Reckon the mag is bad?
    this is an indacation of a weak wrist.
    I have had my XD40SC do the same.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links