Get MSNBC to release poll numbers

This is a discussion on Get MSNBC to release poll numbers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 87% of our State .... were for conceal carry. So, the Govenor decided the Poll must have been wrong. The Legislature.... over-rode her veto of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get MSNBC to release poll numbers

87% of our State .... were for conceal carry. So, the Govenor decided the Poll must have been wrong. The Legislature.... over-rode her veto of the bill, and let her know... the POLL was correct...

She was more for "her agenda" , than the "people's", but then she's one of those that think Govt needs to oversee us children.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    87% of our State .... were for conceal carry. So, the Govenor decided the Poll must have been wrong. The Legislature.... over-rode her veto of the bill, and let her know... the POLL was correct...

She was more for "her agenda" , than the "people's", but then she's one of those that think Govt needs to oversee us children.
    Providing peoples memory does not fade, that is generally an indicator of "Last Term".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The poll on college campus carry is unscientific because there were no controls placed on who could respond. In this case, we in the online gun community spread the word, probably over several forums, to go vote pro-campus carry. The resulting domination of the voting by pro-gun voters do not resemble a realistic cross section of the general public and is invalid as an indicator of true public opinion. Sure, we stuffed the ballot box, but isn't it fun to see such unbalanced results in our favor? Hooray for us!

One would think that the frothing at the mouth antis would also spread the word. Seems fair to me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I participated in a gun control poll once. All of the questions were flavored to get the answers wanted by the pollsters. For example: Do you favor criminals carrying guns in school? Duh!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    The poll on college campus carry is unscientific because there were no controls placed on who could respond. In this case, we in the online gun community spread the word, probably over several forums, to go vote pro-campus carry. The resulting domination of the voting by pro-gun voters do not resemble a realistic cross section of the general public and is invalid as an indicator of true public opinion.
    Of course, you are absolutely correct, which is why I am always amused by the threads that urge 'Hit this poll' or 'We are behind" with a link. Some even implore to use a different account or IP or something to hide the fact they are pro gun when responding with a pro gun response!. While it must be self satisfying to some to contribute their opinion, it has no statistical validity nor will it sway even one person. The polls are used to stir emotion and get hits on an advertiser supported web site.

Sure, we stuffed the ballot box, but isn't it fun to see such unbalanced results in our favor? Hooray for us!
    Nice satire. Hooray for us indeed.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Experts agree that allowing students to carry loaded guns in schools is a recipe for trouble, but a few extreme right-wing posters online disagree. Joe Smith of Citizens for Safe Schools says, "We don't want to turn our schools into a wild west saloon!" Scientific polls show that 99.999999% of Americans think guns in schools are a bad idea.

I'm just thinking how proud my mommy would be that I finally made it into the top .000001% of something
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    News story:
    Experts agree that allowing students to carry loaded guns in schools is a recipe for trouble, but a few extreme right-wing posters online disagree. Joe Smith of Citizens for Safe Schools says, "We don't want to turn our schools into a wild west saloon!" Scientific polls show that 99.999999% of Americans think guns in schools are a bad idea.
    I wish we were as bloodthirsty as the Wild West!!
    With rare exception, the "Wild West" was far more civil and safe than the average city or town today, NEVER MIND Washington D.C., or Chicago, or San Francisco, etc. I don't recall the author, but someone did an in-depth study of19th Century records (Yes, detailed and accurate crime records were kept back then - Great-Grandpa was literate!), and proved this to be true. Women could walk the town unmolested, muggings were almost unheard of, and Cowboys didn't constantly spew out profanities - especially in public. There was no minimum age for firearms, so it wouldn't be surprising for a schoolboy to prop a gun in the corner of the classroom, so he could hunt rabbits/squirrels on the way home for supper.
    Hollywood isn't just wrong; they unashamedly lie to make the world fit their perverted imaginations - then call it "Creative License (I'll use because I don't see one for Puke)."

FWIW: Aside from just reading this one report, I'm a history bum - not only have I studied from Bronze Age through Renaissance, I work at a 19th-century living-history museum as a guide, blacksmith, lecturer,... so I base my statements on more than just the one (accurate, BTW) study I mentioned.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

Besides, 87.33% of all statistics are made up "on the spot" for convenience!
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    With rare exception, the "Wild West" was far more civil and safe than the average city or town today, NEVER MIND Washington D.C., or Chicago, or San Francisco, etc. I don't recall the author, but someone did an in-depth study of19th Century records (Yes, detailed and accurate crime records were kept back then - Great-Grandpa was literate!), and proved this to be true. Women could walk the town unmolested, muggings were almost unheard of, and Cowboys didn't constantly spew out profanities - especially in public.
    Yep, there were no instances of cattle rustling, horse thieves, bank robberies, train robberies, rape and murder. There were no gangs that terrorized the people. Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Yep, there were no instances of cattle rustling, horse thieves, bank robberies, train robberies, rape and murder. There were no gangs that terrorized the people. Those were the good old days.
    Far less than Hollywierd and dime novels would indicate. The real history of America is dominated by honest, hard-working, Christian, boring people. Research real history. I have, and it bears almost no resemblance to what we "learned" from the entertainment industry.

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Far less than Hollywierd and dime novels would indicate. The real history of America is dominated by honest, hard-working, Christian, boring people. Research real history. I have, and it bears almost no resemblance to what we "learned" from the entertainment industry.
    I won't dispute that Hollywood and history highlights specific instances and, in some cases, glorifies them.

However, our time period is ALSO dominated by by honest, hardworking, Christian, boring people. We are inundated with a 24 hour news cycle that highlights the very worst and makes it seem commonplace. Worldwide.

It is disingenuous to believe our time is more dangerous than the wild west time based on the fact that Hollywood portrayals typically do not show the boring lives of most Americans.

As far as gun laws being the problem, many towns had gun laws in the wild west, as well. I am a firm believer that gun laws exacerbate the crime problem, but I have no problem with states experimenting to determine if that is the case if the people so choose. We are beginning to collect sufficient emperical data to decisively say that gun bans are ineffective at attaining their stated goals. But our entire nation is an experiment in government and the states even more so. I absolutely agree with the precept that if we keep guns out of the hands of criminals we will have less gun crimes.

If only we could do that effectively without affecting the good folks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links