Marlin 917, anybody have one?

This is a discussion on Marlin 917, anybody have one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Update; I floated the barrel last night, this took very little effort as Marlin did a pretty good job at the factory. I have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 917, anybody have one?

Administrator
    Update; I floated the barrel last night, this took very little effort as Marlin did a pretty good job at the factory. I have a cheap 3x9 scope I'm going to toss on it just to see how it shoots before I do a trigger job or bed the barrel if needed. I also hope that shooting it with a cheapo scope might help me decide how much scope I want to get for the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Hey SIXTO,
    I think you made a good choice going with the Marlin. A couple years ago I bought a 917 and a buddy of mine bought a Savage, even though I've shot mine more, he has a few issues with his. He has to push up on the bottom of the magazine to get a round to feed, if he don't hold upward pressure, the magazine drops down slightly and the round jams into the frame right below the feed ramp. It's pretty aggravating. His gun doesn't seem to group as well as mine, and the fit and finish in general is a little lower.
    The are comparably priced, and I'm sure there are some very good Savage's rim fire's out there, but the quality of the Marlin is a little better, IMO
    On a side note, I shot a Savage 7mm Remington Magnum another buddy of mine has a few weeks ago and it had an excellent trigger!!
    I don't know much about them, might have been an American Classic model?????

Here is a picture of my 917-
    Marlin 917 002.jpg

I'm a die-hard Nikon man when it comes to scopes, but like you I hated to invest that much money in this setup, so I went with a 6-24x50 BSA. It has done me well, after I zeroed it in the first time (125yds) a couple years ago, it has held its zero and made me a believer. Although, there is really no recoil from this rifle that might cause it to get knocked off.

Let me know how the trigger up grade turns out, I may just do that to mine too!

You could just go for some iron sights, like a peep sight for a target rifle or some such thing.

Let us know how it does with your cheap scope, assuming the maximum amount of operator error will be blamed on the scope.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    You could just go for some iron sights, like a peep sight for a target rifle or some such thing.

Let us know how it does with your cheap scope, assuming the maximum amount of operator error will be blamed on the scope.
    Well, duh, I need a scape goat!

Really though, I'm just mounting the Tasco for the time being, in order to see how it shoots before I really dig into a build and to get a better feel as to what type of scope would work really well on this rifle.

I've never even shot a 17 before let alone own or build one, so I'm taking things slow and learning as I go, instead of the usual "throw money at until it shoots well" route.

I tried the trigger out last night, and it isnt that bad. Its heavy, but it is crisp. I think I can work with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

LOL..once you start shooting it you will end up with 6x-24x 50mm AO. just so you can try to 1 hole them all at 100 yards! or in the case of the 917...150yds.

And I agree about the trigger. Give it a couple hundred rounds and then decide if you want to mess with it. Keep us updated!
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Administrator
    Devone, I've never been a huge fan of Savage for a few reasons, and the Marlin seemed like the most bang for my buck. I looked at the Rugers and oh boy did I look at the CZ, man they are nice. But, I knew that the Marlin was the ticket for what I wanted.

Scopes... I've pretty much decided on a Bushnell Banner, and I know Chuck is right... I might be happy with a 3x9 or 4x12 for now, but a 6x24 would be hard to resist once I start really playing with it. I'm afraid that a 6x24 would be way to much for hunting the tree rats of SW Ohio. Rarely will I get even a 100yd shot let alone anything longer than that. It might be over kill, but I hate to buy stuff twice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Scopes... I've pretty much decided on a Bushnell Banner, and I know Chuck is right... I might be happy with a 3x9 or 4x12 for now, but a 6x24 would be hard to resist once I start really playing with it. I'm afraid that a 6x24 would be way to much for hunting the tree rats of SW Ohio. Rarely will I get even a 100yd shot let alone anything longer than that. It might be over kill, but I hate to buy stuff twice.
    Well, you are bound to have that 800 yard squirrel shot every once in a while that will require the 24x, besides, those Ohio squirrels can be resilient. Don't forget your laser designator unit too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Well, you are bound to have that 800 yard squirrel shot every once in a while that will require the 24x, besides, those Ohio squirrels can be resilient. Don't forget your laser designator unit too.
    You have been hanging out with jarheads to much. You need to come home now, your mother is calling.

"Just blame Sixto"

She wishes i could be home, but I got my job to do and she understands that. Jarheads is all I got around here to talk to anyways.

When ya actually gonna try and shoot the SSSR (Super Squirrel Sniper Rifle)?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    She wishes i could be home, but I got my job to do and she understands that. Jarheads is all I got around here to talk to anyways.

When ya actually gonna try and shoot the SSSR (Super Squirrel Sniper Rifle)?
    Hey, I like that... SSSR. Yeah, I'm going to shoot it. I'm going to take it across from St. Rita's to sight it in next week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You ever wind up shooting the thing or what? OR did massive operator error make it so you didn't think you could blame it all on the scope and therefore not worth reporting?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    You ever wind up shooting the thing or what? OR did massive operator error make it so you didn't think you could blame it all on the scope and therefore not worth reporting?
    Nope, not yet. I've been busy with Christmas and fending off elves etc.

I did mount and bore sight the scope. I chose a Millet 4x12 side focus varminter. It a nice scope for the money, we shall see if it holds up well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    SIXTO what's the story with your 17 HMR rifle? Been waiting for a follow up on how it shoots but nothing yet. Let us know what is going on.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    SIXTO what's the story with your 17 HMR rifle? Been waiting for a follow up on how it shoots but nothing yet. Let us know what is going on.
    Mike
    I'm ashamed to admit the gun hasnt made it off my work bench yet. I've been busy, and the weather has been horrible here lately.

The gun is all ready to go. Scope is mounted. I dont remember if we already talked about that, but I went with a Millet 4x12 with the side focus feature.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Well when you get it out of cold storage let us know how it is working.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links