Marlin 917, anybody have one?

This is a discussion on Marlin 917, anybody have one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at picking up a cheap project rifle, I thought a 17 would be fun to have and I'm worn out on 10/22's. Anybody ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 917, anybody have one?

Administrator

Marlin 917, anybody have one?

I'm looking at picking up a cheap project rifle, I thought a 17 would be fun to have and I'm worn out on 10/22's.

Anybody have one? How about likes and dislikes?

I hear the mag well is a problem, and the T-900 trigger system isnt the best, but it is a sub $200 rifle, I can deal with that stuff. It a project after all.

I'm also considering a Savage 93R, but I have a general dislike for Savage rifles...but I could be talked into one.

Also, if anybody has any comments about the 17 HMR vs. the Mach 2, I'm all ears.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I've got a 917VS in .17HMR, regarding the HMR vs. the Mach 2, IIRC they are about the same price ammo wise...I just figured that the bigger of the two cartridges would be better.

The action on the 917 is a bit rough, the mag doesn't seat very well and it makes cycling the bolt a little herky-jerky. I don't know if that's all 917s or just mine, but I sure like the little rifle.

If does what I want it to do, it shoots really tight groups of teenie tiny holes at moderate distances and I can put 3 shots into a clay pigeon before it breaks.

I haven't got to shoot any ground hogs, but I'm sure if would do the trick short of 200ish yards.

If I had it to do over again, I'd compare it along side the Savage and see which has the smoothest feeding....

It really isn't an issue for me, but it might be to some.

Administrator
    From what I've read, the mag issues are very common, but also an easy fix. It also seems to be the most accurate of the bunch until you get into rifles costing 3x as much.
    I've already purchased the 917v, it should be here early this week. I've also have a harris Bipod and a Rifle Basix is on the way. I just need a decent base and scope, and I'm set.
    My goal is to have a long range squirrel killing machine for under $400.00.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My goal is to have a long range squirrel killing machine for under $400.00.
    That should do it.

Theres a ton of info on that rifle at rimfirecentral.com
    I have shot some of my friends and they have had some work done to them, trigger, bedding etc. They are one nice shooting rifle and 200 yds on small varmits is the norm for these guys.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member
    I have a HMR 17, I would have to go look in the gun room, but I think it is a Marlin. It came with a BSA sweet 17 scope, nothing fancy, but I can put out a doz. eggs at 100 yards, and break them all with 12 shots. It does not have the heavy barrel, just the standard one. It's fun to "puff" black birds with it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    I was looking at that Sweet 17 scope, and I know that BSA isnt exactly known for their quality, but it is tempting to give them a try.
    I've mounted one of their 'higher end" scopes on a modded 10/22 of mine, and its been fine...granted, I dont use it for long range work and I doubt my 17 will see much more than a handfull of 100+yard shots too.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 1st, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Well, my 917v is sitting on my bench right now. I'm not sure if there is enough interest on this forum, but I thought I'd do a full report on the Marlin, the take down and rebuild and range report.

Building rimfire rifles is a fun hobby for me, I used to do it for money a few years ago. Its a lot of fun for me, and people like little rifles that can shoot aspirins at 100 yds.
    I've never built a Marlin, or a 17HMR, so it will be interesting for me. As I said before, my goal is to make a tack driving squirrel killing machine for under $400., including optics. I've never been a fan of cheap glass, so I'm going to need to be creative.

So far, I've spent $180 for the rifle (NIB), I'm debating on installing the aftermarket trigger I've bought, (Rifle Basixs, $54.00) If I do, that brings me up to $234.00, not leaving me much for a base/rings and scope. I guess I need to decide whats more important, a good solid base and rings, a scope or my budget.

I suppose I can tinker with the trigger myself and get it down to a pound or two, but the creep is what worrys me. I also need to float the barrel, but that wont cost much of anything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm interested in seeing the progress of your build!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    Well, some brown boxes from should be waiting on my door step any day now. I hope Santa doesnt mind stoppping by Midway and Brownells. I havent made a concrete choice on a scope yet, but I'm thinking about the Bushnell Banner series at the moment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm really interested Sixto. I have had the 17hmr bug for several months now and actually had dreams about them the last 2 nights (yes I know, sad, sad indeed). I can buy a new cheap Savage for $169 otd. There is also a nice low mileage Ruger 77/17 with the synthetic stock and scope rings for $380 otd, which interests me because of the high capacity mags available only for Rugers. So I will be watching your progress with interest for sure and if anybody can enlighten me more on the rifles and/or the cartridge feel free.

Building rimfire rifles is a fun hobby for me, I used to do it for money a few years ago. Its a lot of fun for me, and people like little rifles that can shoot aspirins at 100 yds.

Its fun to tinker on the cheap, its a norinco jw15 (bruno clone) on a richards microfit stock, he had the stock as a second hand blemish and for 49 bucks I coulnt pass it up, the rifle was 50 bucks. It has since evolved some and this pic is horrible. Soon as it warms up..next march maybe.. I will get better pic of it.
    Attached Images

Seems like ya should have a pretty good squirrel zapper there, finding a decent scope within your range might be an issue. The bushnell I have seems decent to me, but I'm not a scope expert really.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I suppose I can tinker with the trigger myself and get it down to a pound or two, but the creep is what worrys me. I also need to float the barrel, but that wont cost much of anything.

With the marlin T-900 trigger there are 4 things you can do to drop the weight of the trigger, 3 don't require any permanent modifications.

1. Find a lighter trigger spring. This spring only needs to reset the trigger and can be pretty darn light. Pentex pen spring is what I used on my marlin 980s, cut a couple coils and stretched it fit.

2. Make the sear spring heavier. I've used a shim under the spring. A bit touchy to get right, but will really help to drop the pull weight. I cut down a bit of brass screw, about 1/10" thick. 2.5mm or so.

3. Reduce the total sear engagement between the trigger and sear. Easiest way is a small shim that you can super glue to the side of the trigger, but there are other methods. Too much shim and the sear cannot catch and hold the striker when you close the bolt but if you use brass or aluminum for the shim, not to difficult to trim with a file untill you've got a reliable catch of the striker. There are other ways to reduce the engagement, but this is the easiet I've found.

4. You can gently stone the top of the trigger and it's mactching surfact on the sear. Be VERY gentle, and be real carefull not to remove too much metal, or change the angles or the trigger will unsafe in a hurry. All you really want to do is remove any roughness left over from the original machining process, not to remove any real amount of metal on the the mating surfaces.

All that shouldnt cost but a couple bucks assuming you have the different stones to polish the machine marks out. I never measured it but the trigger pull on my marlin is around 2-3 lbs. Im betting I could get it less too if I worked on it. Also dont forget to bump test it when done.

Administrator
    Chuck, its sounds like you know what you are talking about. I might tap your brain once I start digging into the trigger mech., I've never messed with a Marlin before. Rugers I know inside and out.
    I do have stones and all the other junk needed to ruin a good rifle , and I think I'll try your way first and keep the Rifle Basix trigger in case I end up ruining the stock one.
    Thanks for the tips, that should get me started. I've been lurking over at rimfirecentral gather info.

Buckeye; yeah, I'm not much of a scope expert as well, thats my weakest area of knowledge in firearms for sure. I know how they work and how to use 'em, but I'm no good at picking them out. I've always relied on others trusted opinions.

Firestar; I did a lot of looking and research before buying the Marlin. It seems as if the Marlin was the most out of the box accurate budget 17. It even out shot the higher priced Rugers and gave the CZ's a run for their money. The Ruger and CZ are nicer rifles in the fit and finish dept., but my goal was a budget shooter, and that is just what the Marlin is. I think with a few bucks and hours invested, it will be a wicked little pest control system.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links