I'm not sure how to read this one. Pro or Anti

This is a discussion on I'm not sure how to read this one. Pro or Anti within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; cbs4denver.com - Colorado Bakery Sells Handgun-Shaped Cookies Colorado Bakery Sells Handgun-Shaped Cookies By Paul Shockley, Grand Junction Free Press PALISADE, Colo. (AP) ― Mary Lincoln ...

Thread: I'm not sure how to read this one. Pro or Anti

I'm not sure how to read this one. Pro or Anti

cbs4denver.com - Colorado Bakery Sells Handgun-Shaped Cookies

Colorado Bakery Sells Handgun-Shaped Cookies
    By Paul Shockley, Grand Junction Free Press

PALISADE, Colo. (AP) ― Mary Lincoln thinks there's a killing to be made.

Which is why Palisade's Slice O' Life Bakery is turning out new cookies -- handgun-shaped.

"We're just trying to stay in touch with the trends," Lincoln said with a smile on a recent Thursday, tongue firmly planted in her cheek.

You'll find them on the bottom rack at the front counter at the Lincoln family's West Third Street bakery: $2 sugar-cookie goodness shaped roughly in the form of a 9 millimeter.

"Join the Crowd," a sign reads.

"All sales final."

"No background checks."

"No waiting period."

"Circumvent those pesky taxes."

Don't expect new firearm models for hunting season, though.

"We don't have any assault rifles, but I don't know what one looks like either," Lincoln said during a break from the afternoon's baking.

Nobody's completely off their rocker here -- just having fun. Lincoln said she was "inspired" by national and local media reports earlier this month explaining a surge of firearm purchases following President-elect Barack Obama's Nov. 4 victory.

"Just trying to stay on top of the retail game," she said.

When asked if she was concerned how the faux gun sale might be received given her son Sam's infamous meth-fueled crime spree of 2005, she doesn't hesitate.

"We sell to felons, too," Lincoln said smiling. "No ID checks either.

"It's been very positively received."

Nearly three years after Mary Lincoln stood before cameras pleading for her son Samuel Kingman Lincoln to surrender in the midst of a high-profile 18-day manhunt by Mesa County law enforcement, there's laughter again at Slice O' Life Bakery.

"Bad things that happen to you can end up for the good," she said. "It's all what you make of it."

Twice named Peach King for Palisade's Peach Festival, 27-year-old Sam Lincoln is now housed in the state's Sterling Correctional Facility -- convicted on five counts of attempted murder between two counties and sentenced to 332 years in prison.

Right around the time Sam's brother Curt got married in June, the family made its first trek to Sterling to visit Lincoln. They'll head back before the holidays.

"Sam writes beautiful letters," Mary Lincoln said, adding her son has made particular efforts to reach out to old "friends" in an effort to drive home a message: "Meth's a really bad idea."

"He's matured a great deal."

"I'm eternally grateful to Mesa County law enforcement," she says of her son's capture -- alive. "That wasn't a given."

"Ed, you've got to check out our guns," Mary Lincoln yelled to a customer pondering the selection.

"Pretty intimidating," he replied.

Slice O' Life's gun specials will be offered "while they last," Lincoln said.

Lincoln said they used a waxed, shaped piece of cardboard to slice out cookie dough.

"I couldn't find a gun cookie-cutter," she said.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Not a bad article, I dont think its taken from an anti- point of view.

Just kind of matter of fact.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    That is kind of strange, but I agree with the OP, who can tell what the commentary is.

Both the article and the bakery. Just odd.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    How is the death sentence any less humane? And more power to whatever makes money and is legal.

VIP Member
    Maybe we are looking too far into it. It seems like it was written rather generically, with a report of the facts. Don't see that too often.

If anyone is in her area, point her to the JPFO website, they sell gun shaped cookie cutters.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not a bad article, I dont think its taken from an anti- point of view.

Just kind of matter of fact.
    That's how I see it. I've bought a few items at that bakery. Good, fresh baked products. Knowing the area I doubt an anti point was being made.

Seems to me she is indifferent to the pro's or anti's, just poking fun and selling cookies. She doesn't seem to be trying to defend her son who screwed up big time either.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I think she's pointing out that a drug addiction can turn decent people into psychotic criminals,I realise this is a gun board but there is a very good chance if you are ever robbed/burglarised the perpetrators are more likely addicts just trying to get money for their drug addiction,and I believe that drugs are tearing our country apart
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I don't see a pro or anti slant to the article. Really kind of a cute idea on the owners part. Win/win situation for everyone involved.

The pro gun crowd can hoard them before they are gone. Saving the for the day TSHTF.

The anti crowd can rush to buy them and destroy, the "evil black guns".

The owner gets to laugh all the way to the bank.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds pretty neutral to me, just a money maker.

A mom without that, "He's really a great boy excuse."

Long sentence for the son...he'll be 359 years old when he gets out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm offended, feeling mocked, where's my gun? Oh yea I just ate it and it was nasty!! Libs can't bake ether.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

..."We're just trying to stay in touch with the trends," Lincoln said with a smile on a recent Thursday, tongue firmly planted in her cheek...

"Join the Crowd," a sign reads.

"All sales final."

"No background checks."

"No waiting period."

"Circumvent those pesky taxes."

Don't expect new firearm models for hunting season, though.

"We don't have any assault rifles, but I don't know what one looks like either," Lincoln said during a break from the afternoon's baking.

Nobody's completely off their rocker here -- just having fun. Lincoln said she was "inspired" by national and local media reports earlier this month explaining a surge of firearm purchases following President-elect Barack Obama's Nov. 4 victory.

"Just trying to stay on top of the retail game," she said.

When asked if she was concerned how the faux gun sale might be received given her son Sam's infamous meth-fueled crime spree of 2005, she doesn't hesitate.

"We sell to felons, too," Lincoln said smiling. "No ID checks either.

"It's been very positively received."...
    I see it as a very ignorant person making money. The making money part is not bad, the ignorance is. No ID checks, selling to felons, et c. are all parts of the erroneous arguments of the antis for eliminating gun shows and gun control in general.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Links