Does anyone know anything about this pistol?

This is a discussion on Does anyone know anything about this pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad recently gave me an old revolver that his dad gave him long ago. It is made by H & R Arms Company and ...

Thread: Does anyone know anything about this pistol?

Does anyone know anything about this pistol?

My dad recently gave me an old revolver that his dad gave him long ago. It is made by H & R Arms Company and says Young America Double Action. I believe it is a .32 caliber? Not in the best of shape...lot of pitting and finish lost. Does anyone know anything about these guns? Seems to function properly, would it be safe to shoot with modern high velocity ammo?

2. Remove Ads

my inlaws showed me "daddys ol pistol" , like i'm some gun authority lol ,the forward end of the backstrap was seperated from the rest of the frame .

i think it was a 38 though , i dont know how it became broke ,but they still hold on to it as the dad is past .

h&r is a generally a cheaper version of any firearm but i think they are well enough made . mostly only being familliar with their single shot shotguns .

any doubts you have keep it in the safe .

good luck stay safe
    elance

just be watchful when firing it for the first few times , have a gunsmith check the timing to be sure of the condition .

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    My dad recently gave me an old revolver that his dad gave him long ago. It is made by H & R Arms Company and says Young America Double Action. I believe it is a .32 caliber? Not in the best of shape...lot of pitting and finish lost. Does anyone know anything about these guns? Seems to function properly, would it be safe to shoot with modern high velocity ammo?
    H&R is now owned by Marlin. If you're looking to assess value, probably not a lot. I came across a guy in a gun store trying to sell a shopping bag full of them. He wasn't getting more than $100 for the bag. Family Heirloom value might be something different. The Young American Double Action you describe was made from 1905-1941 in .22 rimfire and .32. Wikipedia will tell you more: H & R Firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And H&R still has a website here: H&R 1871 - About Us

This should be it:

Last edited by BlackPR; November 29th, 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added pic
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Thanks for the info.
    Why would someone have a shopping bag full of this particular pistol???

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Why would someone have a shopping bag full of this particular pistol???
    It was a bunch of .32's, including several H&R's.. The guy was legit, he did estate liquidations. I caught him by stupid chance in the parking lot before going in and asked if he had any old 1911's... he just laughed at me.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Be careful with some of those old revolvers, especially the .32s and .38s.

The "32" could come in many different chamberings and with huge pressure differences. Off the top of my head, .32 H&R Mag, .32-20, 32-40, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32RF, .32 WinSpc, .32 Rem. and .327 Fed, and those are just the rimmed cartridges.

Hey BlackPR, can you tell me anything about this H and R top break revolver, marked 38 S&W Ctg?

It belonged to my wife's grandfather, making it at least 61 years old.
    Attached Images
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Hey BlackPR, can you tell me anything about this H and R top break revolver, marked 38 S&W Ctg?

It belonged to my wife's grandfather, making it at least 61 years old.
    Unfortunately, I'm no expert on these... Here's what I can tell you. Yours is the hammerless breaktop. They were just known as "H&R Hammerless".

Are you sure it says 38 S&W? And not 32 S&W? There's probably more markings under the grip, specifically a serial number or part of a serial number. Other than that, it was made AFTER 1905 and before 1941... They stopped making them in 1941 and didn't put caliber on the barrel until 1905.

They aren't worth much. My guess is that a price on one in 95% condition would get you less than $200.

If it's .38 and not .32, it should be safe for modern .38 ammo (but check with a gunsmith, don't take my word for it -- I'm speaking only in general without knowing the condition of the gun!). If it's .32 it may not be safe for modern ammo, as early version were made for much lighter loads than they make today (black powder cartridges).

If you want details, check out the H&R link up above... send them an email with the serial number and the pic and maybe they can tell you more about it. The serial number isn't especially helpful as there's no reference to check for H&R serial numbers that I know of.

.38 S&W is a shorter and fatter cartridge than a .38spl. Again, off the top of my head, the 38S&W is a .365 bullet while 38spl is a .357-.358 bullet. You are also going to be looking at a .38LC as well.

My bet is that the .38S&W is it, it a is an old cartridge, used to be very common. Its also known as a 38/200.

Linky linky: .38 S&W - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got a GREAT deal at a pawn shop when I picked up revolver chambered in .38 Long Colt. The .38spl didn't fit in the chamber, so the pawn guy told me it was "modified" and "wildcat-ed." I knew better and took it off his hands for $50. Starline makes great brass for just about any pistol caliber imaginable. It was a PITA getting dies though, had to special order them from RCBS.

Good luck with it. Looks like a nice piece. If you are planning on shooting it, make some nice, easy light loads for it. If you don't reload, look to buy "Cowboy Action" ammo.

38S&W ammo is still available and it can be had in lighter loads. I recently picked up a Meriden top break in the S&W pattern. Collector value on these top breaks is not very high, unless it's an original Smith and Wesson.
    Attached Images
    Slaves are taken care of. Free men take care of themselves.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/

Links