P22 slide cracked (another one)

This is a discussion on P22 slide cracked (another one) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some background: I work at a an indoor range with a large and sometimes tempramental collection of rental guns. Some were new guns bought specifically ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P22 slide cracked (another one)

P22 slide cracked (another one)

Some background:
    I work at a an indoor range with a large and sometimes tempramental collection of rental guns. Some were new guns bought specifically for rentals, others are lost pawns, interesting or common used guns, or other misfits. Several months, almost a year ago one of our Walther P22s blew up with a catastrophic slide failure. While we were waiting on walther to repair or replace it we put another new P22 out as a rental. Yesterday a customer shooting it experienced some malfunctions and the gun stopped cycling. When I looked at it today, I found a crack almost all the way around the front of the slide. You can see where it started in the front where the rails begin, a sharp corner, and go up both sides to the hole where the front sight attaches. It was only a few shots away from breaking in two, lucky it quit working. The failure was in a different place and with a different pattern than the last kaboom. The first one looked a lot like a fire-out-of-battery, BTW. For the record, I'm a P22 owner, but based on my experience, I'm going to say that I don't recommend the P22 for any serious long term use. Yes it's a rental with high mileage and a huge round count, but I expected more from it than this.

And before you chew me out, I didn't have my camera. Give me a couple days, OK?

2. Remove Ads

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up.

Why doesn't your range rent Ruger Mark IIIs instead? Do they already?
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Some background:
    I work at a an indoor range with a large and sometimes tempramental collection of rental guns. Some were new guns bought specifically for rentals, others are lost pawns, interesting or common used guns, or other misfits. Several months, almost a year ago one of our Walther P22s blew up with a catastrophic slide failure. While we were waiting on walther to repair or replace it we put another new P22 out as a rental. Yesterday a customer shooting it experienced some malfunctions and the gun stopped cycling. When I looked at it today, I found a crack almost all the way around the front of the slide.
    When you folks report this one ask if they have plans for a recall, and let us know....... Then all will be forgiven for the late pictures.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Rentals

We have a Ruger MK I and II, but no III. I'm personally not a fan of the III. We also have a 22A S&W and a Taurus 9 shot revolver in .22lr. The S&W .22lr revolver we had (can't remember the model #, but an airweight J frame) went out of time, took 2 trips back to S&W and now they want like $180 to fix it again. The Taurus keyholes when it gets dirty and the 22A breaks a firing pin once a year. Ireally like getting to see what happens to different firearms over the long term heavy-use of being a rental.

And its not all bad news, either. My Father's Day gift this year was a former rental Glock 17 and the serial # starts with my name. I had toyed around with buying it but my wife bought it for me as a surprise.

Hoping for pics monday or Wednesday. As for a recall, it seems that where it failed is the logical place for a crack to start, in a sharp edge, and it spread to the edge of a hole in an otherwise solid slide. I'm not an engineer, but I know a little. I think it would take a design change to "fix". Probably cheaper for S&W to replace the slides of the few people out there who will fire the P22 enough to crack it. I bet most will never get that many rounds through it. If you do plan on a lot of shooting with yours, I'd go for the Taurus revolver and a good cleaning kit.

Thats another reason Walther should have never stopped making the PP/PPK/PPK/s in .22lr, you don't hear of one of these going bad. I have been on the fence with the P22, and am happy not to have gotten one. I'll stick with my PP, and PPK/s in .22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    When you folks report this one ask if they have plans for a recall,
    There won't be. As I noted elsewhere, the P22s metal casting are made from a "non-uniform" alloy (aka, Corgi-car potmetal). They are disposable pieces. The P22 slide & trigger housing will warp and bubble at 325*; stress fracture at low poundage. An alloy 39/59 series Smith, or AR-15, obviously, will not.

To contrast. I have a P22 with over 3000 rounds through it since I bought it new in March. No problems what so ever. The slide is starting to show some wear, but nothing serious. I love the gun, as does my wife. Great for training too.

I have a MkIII and don't shoot it as heavily mainly because it is a PITA to take down, clean and reassemble. Its accuracy is amazing though...

"The P22 slide & trigger housing will warp and bubble at 325*; stress fracture at low poundage."

Yuck!

You've got other major problems if your .22lr ever gets that hot.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    You've got other major problems if your .22lr ever gets that hot.
    Only an attempt at coating or re-anodizing to prevent aluminum embrittlement (see above cracking) if the finish wears through. To contrast, an AR-15 upper can indeed reach 400* in FA, and every one with the mil-spec poly-over-park finish has been in the oven at 350*.

To each their own. I purchased one thinking it was a polymer alternative to the MkII. It isn't...

Not necessarily. I shoot my P22 suppressed almost all the time, and I am pretty sure that at least some of the heat from the suppressor transfers to the barrel and slide (dang those things get HOT after a few hundred rounds).

my p22 is around the 5000 round count, most of the time we shoot a 550 brick until its gone when we take it to the range, not one single jam/fail to feed ever

I've had some failures, but mostly ammo related. I have found that it is fairly picky.

A nice poly alternative to the MkIII s the 22/45. It's top end is the same as a mkIII and the bottom mimics a 1911. I believe its poly anyway.

I'm sad to hear of this, as I just bought one for my mother three weeks ago. The first day I had her put 200 rounds through it to get comfortable with it. Please let us all know what S&W intends on doing. I assume it is cheaper for them to replace the ones that do wear out than recall all of them though. It is a sweet little handgun, I really enjoyed firing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links