Defensive Carry banner

New safe mod

4K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  McPatrickClan 
#1 ·
I decided I was tired of my pistols clicking together and getting knocked against each other occasionally. I also wanted more room to store mags and gear.
Since I had the day off today, I decided to get busy. After a couple of hours helping my folks I got the the store and bought the materials.
2 -1X6 -8' pine boards and some felt and I was ready. I cut the boards to length , stapled the felt to the board and screwed it all together. A Spray of rem oil on the felt for added corrosion resistance and I was done.
My .44 Ruger Vaquero was too large to fit the safe and allow the door to close so I made a separate holder.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I like it! :hand10:

#6 ·
Looks pretty good. Now you have room for one more pistol based on the pictures. :hand10:

I did a similar thing, but with foam in my quick access safe.

#8 ·
Great use of space.
I have wire pistol racks in both safes, but you have provided extra storage on top of the pistol rack...nicely done.:hand10:

#10 ·
I bought a cheap 14 gun Sentry safe , since a heavy duty safe would probably drop through my floor. :embarassed:

#16 ·
Thanks for sharing. I had been thinking about the wire pistol racks, but as RS mentioned, your design allows for storage on top.

Gives me a good excuse to get the shed cleaned out so I have room to work too! :rofl:

#21 ·
You might want to take a scrap of your felt and check to see if it will absorb water (like a paper towel.) If it does and the relative humidity in the area where your guns are stored is over 40% you could end up with a rust spot where a gun is touching the felt. Same effect as storing a gun in a pistol rug. A closed cell foam is a better choice as it will not absorb moisture from the surrounding air. Also make sure you have a thin coat of oil on all the guns.

#22 ·
I have desiccant packs in the safe as well, and did hose the felt down with Rem oil. I always oil my guns after handling as well. Thanks for the advice , I will keep an eye on em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.