I've been inspired!

I've been inspired!

This is a discussion on I've been inspired! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some recent threads have got me thinking. As DaveinTexas has pointed out we should try to do something about the number of ND's and our ...

Thread: I've been inspired!

I've been inspired!

Some recent threads have got me thinking. As DaveinTexas has pointed out we should try to do something about the number of ND's and our image with the general population. He propsed an idea of a modification to current designs that would incorporate a highly visible chamber loaded indicator, and for various reasons we shot that down. In some of our posts we may have been a bit harsh. But thinking about it more he inspired me!

Dave's idea could maybe work, but the problem is it does not address the hundreds of millions of weapons already in circulation or on the shelves in stores. For a real improvement in safety, I see only one cure.....

Education!!!

A lot of school systems around the country have some sort of citizenship in the community requirement for graduation. How about we start a push to include safe gun handling in that curriculum? School resource officers could provide non firing examples of say a Glock, a 1911, a Smith and Wesson model 10, and an 870 that the students must use to demonstrate their ability to render safe! This would also be a chance to disprove many of the myths put forward by the Brady bunch.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The Brady bunch particularly doesn't wish to dispel any myths.

There are those who are in high places in this nation and for whom an educated citizenry represents a "nuisance."

That would never work in the liberal cities and states. Think about the trouble people go through to teach their kids sexual education. I don't think safe gun handling would ever get past the idea phase.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Well I certainly commend your efforts to help educate the general public, but, I dont know if you can get this approved by the school system? Wouldnt this be a use of public tax dollars?

I know that 4H teaches a short introduction to firearms with parent approval and also have archery classes. I believe 4H also has insurance for this type of interaction. Most farm communities have access to 4H clubs around the country.

Now maybe the NRA would be able to get involved by providing certified instructors and then certifying the students who took the classes. However, making this a part of a curriculum and involving the school system may be a bit much.

I certainly agree with educating the public on the safe handing techniques of firearms, just not sure how you will get it into the school system without alot of opposition.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The other MAJOR problem is you can't teach common sense! Which if used would prevent these types of incidents.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

It definitely would be a fight in some places. But of course we could use some of the Brady's catch phrases...... "It's for the children! Who doesn't want to protect children?" "If it only saves one childs life isn't it worth the cost?"

They frequently trot out stories of tragic events involving kids and firearms. We could explain how each of them would have been prevented with this kind of training.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    The other MAJOR problem is you can't teach common sense! Which if used would prevent these types of incidents.
    Maybe you can't teach common sense, but you can sure un-teach it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

The saddest part of it all is that the Brady Bunch refuse to acknowledge that it is proper education and not propaganda that make firearms safe around people. Even as a younger member of this forum (24) from a rather metropolitan area (Tampa Bay), I can say that I was fortunate in that all of my life I was taught to recognize not only guns, but also edged implements as just what they are: tools to be appropriately used at the time needed. I agree that trying to get this to happen in schools is a long shot, but someone has to let young people know that if guns are responsible for killing, then forks are responsible for Rosie O'Donnell being obese...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Quote Originally Posted by PiperLambie View Post
    The saddest part of it all is that the Brady Bunch refuse to acknowledge that it is proper education and not propaganda that make firearms safe around people.
    I agree with what you are saying, but I would say it is not a matter of making firearms safe around people, but rather making people safe around firearms!

A side benefit I just thought of.....
    If we could make this a ballot initiative in enough local elections, we might end up bankrupting the Brady bunch if they spend enough on advertising to fight us!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I would like to add one more thing ...

If this "inspiration" doesnt pan out for you, do what I did ... I got certified as a firearms instructor and made my mark there. Atleast then you can still educate those who are in need and you will still find a certain satisfaction knowing you did the best you could to teach safe firearm handling.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    That would never work in the liberal cities and states. Think about the trouble people go through to teach their kids sexual education. I don't think safe gun handling would ever get past the idea phase.
    dieselnut is correct. I lived in Ann Arbor B4 moving to AZ. I let my kids play army/war around the neighborhood with their toy guns. Not only did we get flack from the neighborhood parents about letting our kids play with toy guns, but they accused us of promoting the school shootings that were occuring by letting our gids have toy guns.

Needles to say, the could not stop their kids since they were using their hands, fallen branches to be used as guns
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Sponsored Links