Gun Store Retard

This is a discussion on Gun Store Retard within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So... I went into my local gun shop today with a shopping list. I'm in the market for a full size frame semi-auto pistol- with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Store Retard

Gun Store Retard

So... I went into my local gun shop today with a shopping list. I'm in the market for a full size frame semi-auto pistol- with relatively small grips (I have small hands). I've done some research, and I have a list of things I want to look at, and a big criteria- I have to be able to hit all the controls- which means I need to put all the possibles in my hand.

A very nice gentleman helped me at the store, and I was able to confirm that a couple of things will work for me, and a few more that wont. He had some other suggestions, and I was happy to try them out as well.

Well... as I was trying out the CZ suggested, the retard kid behind the register pipes up with "You should get a Desert Eagle" as he snickers. To which I replied "oh really?" The nice employee I was dealing with quickly piped up with "He's just joking". I, on the other hand, found retard kid's comments to be more than a little insulting and condescending, a fact which I informed him of. Then I left.

It really, really ticks me off when some retard kid feels the need to act like "big man" when the little lady comes in to look at pistols.

Rant off/
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

2. Remove Ads

I hear you on that. Sarcastic comments have their time and place. A place of business, especially when dealing with a customer, is not one of those. The kid was pretty disrespectful and I think you did the right thing.

I am equally ticked off by people judging me based on my looks, and giving me what they consider appropriate service. Earlier this year I went to a Subaru dealership to check out the new WRX STI. I walked in and the only salesman on the floor was on the phone with his buddy, chatting about fishing, actually swearing (!!!), and basically ignoring me.

I spent about 5 minutes circling the $40K car, reading the details, checking it out. The whole time the salesman ignored me. Finally, I had enough. On my way out, I noticed a lady in a nearby office, looked pretty important. So, I told her that her "sales" guy just blew a $40K deal. She apologized and asked me to stay, but I told her that there are other Subaru dealers in the area who would love my business... and walked out.

Err.. sorry, I got a little sidetracked there. But it really ticks me off when people don't give you/me the respect we deserve. Money talks and this is a buyer's market. You'd think they would know that by now. Professional business tactics and behavior are very important to me. I'll gladly pay more and do business with a professional, than save some money and deal with someone like that.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The only rude gun store clerks I have encountered are people who seem to lack gun experience and tend to use rudeness and arrogance to cover their lack of knowledge. I hate it when people try to mask ignorance with arrogance.

I would contact the owner and see if they are tollerant of that kind of behavior or truly understand the value of customers. If the shop has good prices and that idiot was not truly representative of the place I might give them a second chance. Especially if you liked the guy that assisting you. If management has no problem with the kids behavior I would spend my money elsewhere.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Most gun stores I have been to, I have been treated like an idiot who needs to get on his knees and beg just to be worthy of being possibly sold a gun. Frankly the people at these places all seem to be young ex-military and since I do not look like the kind of person who has been in the military that is enough for them.

The one place I have been that wasn't populated with young ex-military types is run by an old guy. He was extremely friendly and chatted about all kinds of stuff and generally made me feel welcome. I just wish that store were closer to where I live

My point is, I don't think it would matter if you were male. You are still a 'lowly civilian' to many gun shop employees.

(I know many of the people on this board are military and LE, and don't think I'm knocking you...you folks here seem to have a very accepting attitude and I appreciate that a lot)
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

You can't control what others say or do, all you can do is control how one responds. It's the easiest thing in the world to let oneself be offended. You'll find immature, insensitive, rude, ignorant etc. people where ever you go, don't let them steal from your day. Life's too short.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Yea- this was a direct contrast to my experience on Thanksgiving afternoon. On the way home we stopped at a Bass Pro so I could look at a few things. Despite being harried due to the crowds, the guy I talked to there was extremely helpful, and commented on how nice it was to help someone who knew what they wanted/ needed. He was great! I went in fully expecting the "bubba effect" since it was a Bass Pro Shop- ya know? I was pleasantly surprised.

might catch some flack for this one....

...but anytime somone is seriously looking to buy a gun and somone even mentions "Desert Eagle", I get slightly miffed.

usually points out ignorance on their part.

there is a time and place for the .50 , but its usually in hollywood or a mall ninja's sock drawer.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Try taking your kids to the gun store and then getting someone to wait on you....takes the machisimo up a whole nother notch...if they'll even wait on you.

I send in the husband, let him ask the questions while I stand beside him and actually look at the gun. This seems to make the salesman feel safe (talking to a woman is apparently emasculating to a gun salesman).

On the other hand, I have seen some really uninformed women shop for guns, and I do feel sorry for the salesman in those situations. When the customer has to ask which end the bullet comes out of, I shudder--is she really that uneducated or is she trying to pickup the salesman? Either way, it's distasteful to watch.

The best gun salesmen I've met are over 50 years old, overweight, and NOT LEO/ex-LEO. Those guys seem to be less arrogant and more able to listen to me. I've never met a female salesman though I hear they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I, on the other hand, found retard kid's comments to be more than a little insulting and condescending, a fact which I informed him of.
    I would like to inform you that using the word "retard" in your posting 4 times is quite inappropriate.

Kids will be kids, no need to be insulted, especially if the kid was mentally challenged.

As for pistols, check out the Kahr line, they are really thin and seem to have smaller grips.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

to call someone who is honestly mentally challenged is offensive, and uncalled for. i have a daughter with severe autism, so i take personal offense.

people who ask dumb questions, or work in sales and are rude, condescending, offensive, and socially inept are retarded, like the people who walk up to you while you're standing in the back of the line at the bank, and ask you: "is this the back of the line?"

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    to call someone who is honestly mentally challenged is offensive, and uncalled for. i have a daughter with severe autism, so i take personal offense.

people who ask dumb questions, or work in sales and are rude, condescending, offensive, and socially inept are retarded, like the people who walk up to you while you're standing in the back of the line at the bank, and ask you: "is this the back of the line?"
    I didn't mean to offend. I have a brother in law with CP, and I would never refer to anyone with a real disability in that way.

The counter guy, however, did meet the definition as set forth in your second paragraph ;).

I went to Cabelas twice last sunday. Both times I must have accidently activated my Cloaking Device. Employees at the gun counter would walk past me without so much as a glance my way. the first time there were probably 6 customers to the 8 employees. Second time One other than myself and 4 employees. After a couple of walk by's and my waving a hand in front of their face while hollering "EXCUSE ME!" someone finally did acknowledge me.

Lead Moderator
    Young guys especially like to "show off " for the ladies. I have met young and old salespeople who were good and those who knew very little. My ex GF was always pissed at how men treated her when she sold archery equipment too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

jfl
    Don't let stupid people get to you; it is not worth it. Really !!!
    As another poster said "Life is too short".
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links