Mounting a scope on a Marlin 336

This is a discussion on Mounting a scope on a Marlin 336 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As some of you guys may know from my previous post I just picked up a new Marlin 336 in 30-30 the other day and ...

Thread: Mounting a scope on a Marlin 336

As some of you guys may know from my previous post I just picked up a new Marlin 336 in 30-30 the other day and I'm looking to mount a scope on it. My question is, what height mounts do you guys who have 336's with scopes on them use? And do you take off the rear iron sight to get more clearance? I kinda set my cheapo 3 X 9 on it to get an idea of how high it needed to be and it seems like it will hit the rear iron sight sitting where I think it should be. Then again it's kind of hard to tell trying to hold the rifle and the scope and move things around.

I was looking at this scope base/rings:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=173325

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Going to keep an eye on this thread myself. Borrowed my dad's 336 for a while and want to surprise him by getting a scope for it.

What do you currently have to use on it?

As far as scopes go I was just going to put an old Tasco 3 X 9 that I had laying in the safe on it. Nothing special, but I don't have the cash to drop on a new scope so it's going to have to do for now. :)
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wht, what are you wanting to use the rifle for? Home defense? Deer hunting in wooded areas?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I am wanting to use this gun just to shoot at the range and to be able to take a deer with it. It is not going to be used at a home defense gun, which is why I was wanting to put a scope on it.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Wht, what are you wanting to use the rifle for? Home defense? Deer hunting in wooded areas?
    Important question...
    I have used my past 30-30's as brush guns...50 yard shots. I found scopes to be good for light-gathering, not necessarily needed for taking 100-200 yard shots...because I didn't use my 30-30 for real distance.

I simply added the fiber optic front site to my present 30-30...great light-gathering site for 'old eyes'. My 336SS is primarily for HD...the FO front site is all I need.

Stay armed...meet your needs...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Which FO front sight did you use retsupt?

I don't intend on taking shots farther than 100 yards with this gun and it's more of just something fun to shoot at the range than anything else. I'm not too thrilled with the factory sights on the 336. I would be open to after market sight suggestions as well. Any suggestions?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If your eyes are even half way decent, my vote is to leave the scope off the rifle.

If you don't like the sights that are on it, maybe change them, but for 100 yds, open sights are fine with the 336.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I do most of my hunting in east Tx, (piney woods) and I still like to have the open sights for close shots. For that reason I installed my scope with see thru mounts.
    Attached Images
    Slaves are taken care of. Free men take care of themselves.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Which FO front sight did you use retsupt?

I don't intend on taking shots farther than 100 yards with this gun and it's more of just something fun to shoot at the range than anything else. I'm not too thrilled with the factory sights on the 336. I would be open to after market sight suggestions as well. Any suggestions?
    I didn't not want to waste bucks on a scope for a brush gun.

I only replaced the 336 front sight with a TruGlo fiber optic...same rear sight.
    Works very well for my 6th decade eyes.

Stay armed...enjoy the 336...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 3rd, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I concur about leaving it wiith open sights, its a brush gun... but if you must mount a scope, use see thru mounts. Those will have no problem clearing everything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I only replaced the 336 front sight with a TruGlo fiber optic...same rear sight.
    Just convinced my sister to let her son(my nephew) have a pellet gun. It has a fiber-optic front sight, which is great. I'm thinking of having a fiber optic front sight put on both my SP-101 and P345. It just draws the eye in, IMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Links