Who cant buy a gun in NH? For some reason im pending...

This is a discussion on Who cant buy a gun in NH? For some reason im pending... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went in to buy a gun today and for some reason im pending. I have never been in any trouble though... never been arrested ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I went in to buy a gun today and for some reason im pending. I have never been in any trouble though... never been arrested or anything so are there any other weird things that might stop you from getting a gun besides the obvious like a felony, misdemeanor or mental illness?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    IIRC the national 'instant' criminal check has been known to cause delays for people with the same name as a criminal.

Kinda like the no-fly list
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Many things could cause a delay. Similar/common names, SSAN input incorrectly, even a simple hiccup in the computer system. As long as your record is clean it should be ironed out in a day or 2. If not, after 3 days the store can proceed with the sale if they choose to.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I use to have this problem and then the Gunshop owner put in a release form for me and now it takes no time at all.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I've purchased numerous guns, and I've only been delayed once....and that was at wal-mart....I've had at least 10 times when I've been instantly approved...it was only the one time I was delayed.

If you have nothing on your record, you have nothing to worry about. Like it has already been said....names and ss numbers have a part in being delayed....along with glitches in computer systems.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Did you put your SSN? (optional in NH). If not I have been told that on a first gun purchase that can delay an approval.

Yeah i declined to give my SSN because it was optional. I never give it unless its necessary

I never give my SSN.

They just changed the form about a month? ago, at least that the first time a filled out a new one. It might have been your error, the clerks error or a system problem.

Good luck

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    I never give my SSN.
    It's not like they couldn't easily figure it out anyway. I say bite the bullet and give it if it speeds things along. Wouldn't you feel silly if you went to the trouble of not putting your SSN and it turned out that they kept delaying you while they matched your name to your SSN from somewhere else
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I always put my SS# on the form and have only been delayed once and that was at Wal-Mart.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    If you did not give your SSAN that is probably where the delay is coming from.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    Yeah i declined to give my SSN because it was optional. I never give it unless its necessary
    That might be it. My penmanship is horrible and one buying a gun the clerk misread the SSN and he was told by the FDLE officer that I might be a dangerous wanted felon (same name, fake SSN.) He was given the physical description of the felon and thank God it did not match mine. He re checked with me the SSN and he had misread 2 numbers. Once the mistake was corrected, I was good to go.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In Tx if you have a CHL they don't need to run a background check,apparently you passed it when they issued you the CHL,just fillout the form 4473 pay for the gun and go shoot it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

well i got denied because of an unpaid out of state fine on something that happened when i was 16, im 23 now... thats pretty rediculous since i thought my parents had paid it and this is the first time ive had any problem because of it since then (trespassing on school property with my dirtbike)

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    well i got denied because of an unpaid out of state fine on something that happened when i was 16, im 23 now... thats pretty rediculous since i thought my parents had paid it and this is the first time ive had any problem because of it since then (trespassing on school property with my dirtbike)
    Maybe your parents don't love you as much as you think they do ,LOL, wow I didn't know that they denied for something like that.I wonder if they deny over back child support and stuff like that? I know I've seen guys with girls in gun stores looking and the guy is picking out the gun but the girl ends up buying it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links