Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML - Page 2

Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...and give it a more thorough exam. Plus I brought my glasses to make things a little clearer. Frame looked good inside and out, no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML

Went back Friday to look again at XD-.40SC...

...and give it a more thorough exam. Plus I brought my glasses to make things a little clearer. Frame looked good inside and out, no marks and no signs of wear. Slide had just a hint of wear on the nose (holster?) but no other scratches. Barrel was not clean, light residue inside. All in all, the gun still looked like a pretty good deal with the XML and 3 clips at 429.00 ( I was going to offer 400), but.....

The serial numbers on the barrel and the frame did not match. The salesman had no history on the gun except is was local. He could not explain the numbering difference. Is this a deal breaker in your opinion?

There were 5 XD's in the store Wednesday. There were only 2 left Friday afternoon. The salesman said there has been a huge upsurge in interest in the XD (phone calls/walk-in customer questions). Only 2 left were the used .40SC and a NIB .40 Service. Used XD.357 was walking out the door when I walked in.

Thanks for all the previous replies. Great forum.

Not to me its not it could have went back to springfield and had the barrel replaced or the frame ..

As long as it is a Factory barrel or bar sto i would worry about it .

if it looks like a cheep knock off barrel which with a serial# in it im sure its now but if it looks like cheep knockoff pass

The January issue of guns and ammo magasine has about 5 pages of XD ads throught the mag. It definitly caught my eye as you can see and I think im going to get one! I really like the look, caliber options, and tactical features it has!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I would step away from the XD and take a better look at the 1911, you will get more pistol for your money. That and everyone should own at least 2 1911's.

We have a XD40 compact (4 ich) in tu-tone finish for 435.00 with 3 mags.. like brand new.........http://ktpguns.com/index.html
    Take a look.........you may see something you'll want..........of just check out the prices for reference your region..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    I would step away from the XD and take a better look at the 1911, you will get more pistol for your money. That and everyone should own at least 2 1911's.
    How is that so Bruces? Don't take this the wrong way monkey man , but if the brother wants an apple, telling him an orange is better doesn't help!

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    We have a XD40 compact (4 ich) in tu-tone finish for 435.00 with 3 mags.. like brand new.........http://ktpguns.com/index.html
    Take a look.........you may see something you'll want..........of just check out the prices for reference your region..
    I are confus-ed... do you have a 4 inch service model that you're calling the compact because the 3 inch is called the subcompact, or do you have a subcompact and you listed the wrong barrel length by mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    How is that so Bruces? Don't take this the wrong way monkey man , but if the brother wants an apple, telling him an orange is better doesn't help!
    Its my world and your in it.

What is more pistol for your money?..

Being new at this (handguns) I guess I'm taking the logical approach; buy based on things such as reliability, manufacturer reputation, consumer acceptance, and the big one- affordability. I realize the XD line is not fashionable but it really fulfilled my criteria and it felt great in my hand. I priced 2 XD's Saturday, a bi-tone .40 SC and a bi-tone 9 Service. Both had 3 mags, NIB, and priced at 460. Every quality 1911 I looked at was 550 or higher. It also seems everything I read about a 1911 includes lots of customization to get them to "feel right". Beavertails and grip changes and trigger kits.

Like I said, the XD fits my hand nicely without any alterations. It shoots well and gives a nice satisfying bang when I pull the trigger. However, I'm open to suggestions about a 1911. Feel free to show me the error of my ways.

Gun show rolls by in about a month. Maybe I can wait till then. Thanks for the replies.

I would step away from the XD and take a better look at the 1911, you will get more pistol for your money.
    ive been a 1911 enthusiast for my entire life but i cant agree with this statement for several reasons. dollar for dollar (you did say "more pistol for your money") a 1911 is no value...not even for a base model.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfPack
    Every quality 1911 I looked at was 550 or higher.
    at $550 you werent looking at "quality" 1911s. decent base models certainly, but you really dont get into "quality" until you break the $1000 mark and even then youre looking at medium grade. personally i prefer medium grade 1911s because theyre tuned to shoot very well, yet theyre not tuned so tightly that they fail to feed/fire when dirty.

the XD fits my hand nicely without any alterations. It shoots well
    nothing else matters (assuming the weapon functions as it should).

I'm open to suggestions about a 1911
    avoid the 1911 for now. get more experience with handguns and eventually graduate up to it.

Wrong wording...

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    at $550 you werent looking at "quality" 1911s. decent base models certainly, but you really dont get into "quality" until you break the $1000 mark and even then youre looking at medium grade.
    Point taken, I should have said this was the price for base models of quality manufacturers. And it really was more like $650 for a mil-spec Springfield. Colts and Remingtons were ++++.

CC class being offered on Jan. 28. I'll be calling Monday to reserve a spot.

it really was more like $650 for a mil-spec Springfield.
    Shop somewhere else, thats about $100 over what they usualy go for NIB.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    ive been a 1911 enthusiast for my entire life but i cant agree with this statement for several reasons. dollar for dollar (you did say "more pistol for your money") a 1911 is no value...not even for a base model.
    Like I said its my world and you guys are in it

I guess I may have stumbled into a hornets nest here

I guess it all boils down to opinion, I would rather have a all steel pistol over a "plastic" pistol. But YMMV and thats cool, its your money buy what your happy with.

It also seems everything I read about a 1911 includes lots of customization to get them to "feel right". Beavertails and grip changes and trigger kits.
    Not true at all, well maybe if you buy a Rock Island 1911, but a SA Mil-spec or even a GI for that matter should "feel" the hand the same as any Colt or Rock River or Ed Brown etc. and last for more rounds than you'll ever shoot through it (with perodic spring changes about every 3500-4000 rounds).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links