Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New guy here, been reading and learning from the veterans on this forum. I had contemplated buying a pistol/handgun for several months and visited this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML

Is this a good deal? XD-.40 SubCompact w/ XML

New guy here, been reading and learning from the veterans on this forum. I had contemplated buying a pistol/handgun for several months and visited this site and others for information. Recently purchased my first pistol, a Springfield XD Sub-Compact in 9mm. Purchased the "kit" from Springfield, handgun, 3 mags (one hi-cap), molded holster (OWB) and case with assorted accessories. I'm really enjoying the handgun and I'm now looking to taking a concealed carry class soon.

Stopped by a gun shop today to browse and found a used XD-.40 Sub-Compact with 3 mags, XML light and case for 429.00. Took the gun apart and everything looked clean inside, nothing unusual (to me, a novice) stood out. Slide felt tight. Outside was clean and free of scratches. Looked like a nice gun at what I thought was a very nice price. Anyone here care to comment? What should I look at on the XD that indicates wear/tear? Is this a good price or should I look at a 1911 someone will surely suggest? Do I just have gun lust in my heart?

This has been a great site for information and I'm glad I joined. Keep up the great discussions. Mods, if this is the wrong forum please move this thread.

2. Remove Ads

430.00 for that XD 40 with all the accys is a good deal.........all blue? two tone?.........try to get it for 400.00 if possible..............BUT if he doesn't budge..........430.00 is a great price as well..The XD 40s are very good weapons platforms........they sell very well at the store........seeing that you already have a sub 9mm........than it's kinda redundent to have 2 of the same size weapons.........BUT if you're going to sell the 9mm.........I'm sure you'll have NO trouble in the sale.........place it here, and watch the PMs come in........LOTSA XD shooters here...........Euc?? where are ya dude? here's a 9mm XD for ya
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    WolfPack, welcome to the forum. You're in the right place for your post.

My feedback is that is a respectable price on that gun. Somewhere someone paid $350 for one and someone else paid $500 for one. Nothing wrong with a 1911 either, but buy what you want and like. I have a full-size XD in .40 awaiting my permit to acquire and I think I will like it. My good friend has the compact XD in .40 and loves it. I would look at where the slide meets the frame and check for any excessive wear or cracking. Not likely you'll find any, but it never hurts to look.

-Scott-

yep thats a decent price for my neck of the woods

You can also find a few really good 1911s out there for between 450 and 600.00...Kimbers are good.. so are the Springfield Armory guns...Colts are desirable <where's bruce> Rock Islands are pretty good..

That's pretty good, and there IS a point to having the same size platform in two different calibers from the factory. Me, I'd go for it if I wanted the SC and might even if I didn't!

I personally don't want there to be any doubt in my mind about the reliability of my personal protection pistols. It runs like a top from the factory, so I prefer the pistol I carry to be originally factory configured in the caliber I want to carry. For instance, I don't want to buy a .40 factory pistol and then carry .357 SIG with a conversion barrel installed. I just don't.

If nothing else, sell your XD9 SC if you don't need it and get a conversion barrel and have some $$$ to spare even after that, or trade it in and not be out too much money for the XD40 SC... just mouthing off here dunno your situation.

Personally I greatly enjoy having two XD40s. Having a pair of them is just so dang convenient. It'd even work out just fine if one of them were an XD9.

As for wear and tear, honestly other than some holstering/handling marks, mine don't have any and I've never heard of or seen any tell tale signs of a bad XD other than obvious problems you wouldn't want in any handgun. If you've stripped it and it looks okay, it should be okay.

look at the locking block to see if it has cracked and thats about it

being used, offer him $375 or walk (and i consider that to be generous).

that said, i recommend you fire a sub-compact .40 before buying one. 9mm +P is comfortable in a sub-compact, but .40/.357auto is a bit punchy for comfortable sub-compact fire.

hes asking to much for a used setup. you dont know if its had 100 rounds or 1000 rounds cycled through it. you dont know if its been fed factory ammo or handloads. bring $20 more to the table and buy an identical new rig.

We (the store) have a XD 9 sub compact with the XM light, 4 mags, hard case in 97% condition, for 500.00............

Thanks for the replies...

Good advice and thoughts from all. There is a large selection of handguns at this store. Every make/manufacturer I've heard of and a few unknowns. Kimbers and Glocks and Colts, oh my. Desert Eagle for $1100. S&W, Browning, Kal-Tec and all the usual suspects. Large drool factor, the salesman had to wipe the counter off twice.

Two Springfield .45's in the showcase, and five XD's. I joted down these prices:
    New XD-9mm, Sub-Compact, 3 clips (one hi-cap), holster, case- $499.00. Asked and said would knock 20.00 off the price to 479.
    Used XD .357 Service, 2 clips, case- $400.00
    New XD-.40, 3 Hi-Cap mags, holster, case- $519.00 (didn't note if sub or 4 inch, but I think sub)
    All XD's are black.

I'm pretty sure 375 would not get the XD-.40, 400 maybe. Lots to think about still. Do I really need another gun this soon? Should I wait, become proficient with the 9mm, get my cc permit and then shop around? I just thought it was a nice price on a gun/frame I have familiarity already. I'll probably go back this weekend and drool more....where is the drool icon?

Thanks for all the input. Much welcomed.

Lead Moderator
    If someone is selling it, the question is why? To finance a diffrent gun? Personally the 3" barrelled poly framed Taurus .40 I had was too snappy of recoil for me to be able to shoot accurately. The price doesn't seem all that bad , if the round count is low. Finally , with all the weight in the grip, I found the pistol to be top heavy. While not the same gun, I would expect similar traits.

That's true. I'm a vocal defender of .40 S&W (it sucks as much as any other service caliber) but I admit it does produce a bit of muzzle flip in a short barrel.

In a service sized pistol, I don't feel an appreciable difference in 9mm and .40 S&W recoil wise, but in a compact I don't think I'd like it very much. I don't like .357 Magnum in a snubnose either FWIW.

I think I'd only want to shoot the XD40 SC with the grip extending mag sleeves. I think I'd be fine so long as I had a three finger grip. If I was going to carry it with the flush mags, I think that would have too much muzzle flip for me personally.

I think a previous poster missed the part about the XML and stuff being included.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfPack
    I'm pretty sure 375 would not get the XD-.40
    you would be surprised. whomever sold that weapon to the gun store got around 60% of the retail value if theyre lucky. i can buy that outfit new for $450 retail locally, with a "typical" retail price of $479. id bet the gun store didnt pay more than $300 for the used setup, and would make more profit selling it at $375 than they make off a brand new comparable rig ("typical" markup on new guns at any "decent" gun store is only 10%). offer $375, the worst they can do is say no.

got to rember prices vary a lot by area

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I think a previous poster missed the part about the XML and stuff being included.
    my apologies, i did indeed miss the XML. offer $400.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links