Defensive Carry banner

Local Gun Dealer Refused Shipment from Davidsons Gallery of Guns

18K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  farnorthdan 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to purchase an FNH PS90 from Davidsons Gallery of Guns last night over the Internet and received a call from them this morning asking if I was a police officer. I told them no, that I am not and why were they asking. They indicated that the local gun shop that would take receipt of the firearm will only sell this particular weapon to police officers as it is chambered in 5.7 caliber. The lady at Davidsons suggested I call this gun dealer as I have purchased my AR-15, AK-47, and "The Judge" as well as others through this particular gun shop and never had any trouble. Called the gun shop and was told, "Mr. X, the gun shop owner, is a former cop and 5.7 will go through their protective vests, so he doesn't sell them to non-LEO's." I find this pretty strange as he has the FNH handguns in the display case that shoots 5.7 caliber, but they were in no mood for discussion. Has anyone else ever had this situation happen before with their local gun shop? I find it pretty bad as this shop has a poster out front in the window with Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, etc. all the normal characters that wanted to or did take away guns from the populatioin, but here is a "gun guy" who I thought was a straight shooter, no pun intended, thinking that the regular guy is below a police officer evidently. Very disappointed. At least Davidson's is looking for an 01 FFL in my area that will honor the price that I agreed to pay. Maybe I'm missing something here - as always - I could be wrong. :argue: BTW, Davidson's was very supportive and agreed that it wasn't right and that they would have to take another look to see if they wanted to keep this particular dealer as an option for their customers as it was certainly causing them grief.

See less See more
#2 ·
That stinks I have never had a similar thing happen but I would no longer use that shop

#3 ·
5.7 restricted from civilian sales? Interesting indeed. Penetrates ballistic armor? Well, I'm off to search the internet now.....................never heard that before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm
Some military and police personnel view the 5.7x28 mm SS190 skeptically, although it is touted as a solution to defeating modern body armor. Many regard the SS190 as having insufficient "stopping power" for law enforcement use and this topic has seen much debate. Brief controversy ensued in the United States in 2004 when the Brady Campaign claimed that civilian-legal SS192 cartridges were able to pierce Level IIA body armor when fired from the Five-seven pistol. All civilian-legal game hunting cartridges, and even several pistol cartridges, are capable of such penetration. The ability of SS192 to pierce body armor as claimed by the Brady Campaign was not confirmed with facts or data by any authoritative agencies or sources. Although the British S.A.S claims that the SS192 pierces body armor and Warsaw vests. The SS192 is still used by the special forces in the fully automatic P90. There are FBI documented cases of concealed carry use of Five-seveN handguns using 192 ball ammo with fatal results when used in self defense. The ammunition was not restricted for civilian sales, since it is not legally recognized as armor piercing by the ATF. Nonetheless, FN chose to withdraw the SS192 from the market and replace it with the SS196SR, but the SS192 is not banned and is still available in the open market. The SS196SR's performance against armor is diminished due to a heavier varmint bullet (leading to lower muzzle velocity) and a polycarbonate tip that promotes expansion and fragmentation upon impact. The performance of such cartridges are similar to the .22 WMR (.22 Magnum).

FN's 5.7x28 mm brass cases are covered with a special polymer coating for easier extraction on the Five-seven pistol and PS90 carbine due to the high chamber pressures and lack of case tapering. In addition, the coating ensures proper feeding and function in the P90 magazines.
All in all, I would be looking at another FFL dealer as well for your deal.

#4 ·
I would make a trip to the shop and talk to the owner myself, face to face. It is possible that the clerk is mistaken, and the owner does not know what is being said in his name.

If in fact it is his policy. He should advertise the weapon as for "LEO only".

I would then find somewhere else to do business, and let every gun owner I know of his misguided policy.

#6 ·
I would make a trip to the shop and talk to the owner myself, face to face. It is possible that the clerk is mistaken, and the owner does not know what is being said in his name.
This person can be a very condescending individual. Talking to him is usually a one sided conversation that lasts all of 5 seconds. But his prices are unbelievable - it's the only reason I go there - or should I say used to go there.

If in fact it is his policy. He should advertise the weapon as for "LEO only".
Agreed. And that was not an option of the Davidson's web site or mentioned anywhere.

I would then find somewhere else to do business, and let every gun owner I know of his misguided policy.
I will.

Davidson's just called me back and there is a place that I didn't know about that will take care of the transaction - and get this - at a lower price. Both Davidson's and the new 01FFL are waiving the shipping charge to make it cheaper. Some things always turn out for the best. One guy's lost customer is another's gain. If anyone in MO. wants to know the name of the 01 FFL that turned me down, please PM me - if that is against the rules then don't PM me as I'm not sure if it is or not.

#5 ·
:blink: This guy does not know his product line. It is particular loadings of the 5.7 that would penetrate soft body armor. Just like particular loadings of 5.56 or 7.62x39. So why will he sell one but not the other?

#8 ·
Walvord, I think I know who you're talking about already: former LEO, can be (usually is) condescending toward anyone not an LEO.

I've made it a point before to not shop there, but sometimes he will have a gun I want that no one else has... so then I relent.

This shop I am referring to won't even do FTF's for me any more. He'll claim he can get a certain item, so no need to buy it elsewhere, yet then he won't come through.

I've made it a point to buy elsewhere and only go there to window shop when I'm bored.

#10 · (Edited)
Grady - yes, if White Castle and Domino's are in your field of view, we're talking about the same place. I know what you speak of regarding FTF's - had the same experience there too. It's on to greener pastures and an 01FFL that applies the 2nd amendment to everyone equally - live and learn.

#12 ·
Sounds to me like the kind of place I would not do business with.

So he's a former LEO. Big deal, so am I. Who is he to decide what I should be able to purchase or not?

I think I would find out directly from him if the clerk was right and then I would tell him he lost a customer and never enter the store again for any reason.

#14 ·
I think I would find out directly from him if the clerk was right and then I would tell him he lost a customer and never enter the store again for any reason.
Davidson's has account executive's that serve the FFL dealers and they called me to inform that it was rejected since I'm not an LEO. I also called the store and they didn't hem haw around or anything - they said that it was X's policy and that's that. Just dumb to send customers down the road during these economic times - oh well I will not set foot in there again.

#15 ·
What a joke! Find some where to spend your money who actually wants it! And yet you bought your ak there. The 7.62x39 will go through vest too.:twak:

#16 ·
If that would have happened to me, with my temperment and a desire to "get back at ya" attitude, for the rest of my natural life, I would bad mouth him and tell everyone that wants to listen and those that don't that he is not worthy of a penny from anyone. I would tell everyone around, I would tell the story on every forum I visit, even to non-humans. Everyone in the world would know his name, business name, and what happened. I did it before and would do it again. What a hammerhead!!!!

#18 ·
Let me get this right. He refuses to sell you a gun with a 20 round magazine that shoots a 28.5 grain bullet at just over 2100 fps but has no problem selling you a gun (AR-15) that can accept a 100 round magazine and shoots a 40 grain bullet at 3800 fps. Great business decision.

While doing a little net searching before I responded, I ran across this article. Your gun dealer and the idgit that made the last quote in that article must be brothers, considering the Five SeveN wasn't introduced until 2000.
Three Men Charged With Possession Of "Cop Killer" Handgun

By: NY1 News
Three men in Queens have been charged with the illegal possession of a so-called "cop killer" handgun.

The weapon is said to be capable of easily penetrating most bulletproof police vests and plates. The three men facing charges are from the Hammel Houses in Far Rockaway.

Senator Chuck Schumer is among those pushing to have the gun, called the Fabrique Nationale 5.7 outlawed.

It’s the first time that this particular gun has been recovered in New York.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said the "cop killer" gun has a 20-round magazine, is able to shoot 50 to 100 yards with great accuracy and its bullet can pierce 48 layers of Kevlar.

Brown said that of the 616 police officers killed in the line of duty nationwide between 1994 and 2003, 425 were killed with this handgun.
Hoss

#19 ·
:twak::twak: Since when has facts and the truth carried any weight with Chuckie, the Brady bunch or the press? :twak::twak:

#21 ·
The owner of that shop per his statements has his facts mixed up.
Further a 12ga slug and other rifle rounds will penetrate police body armor too. Will he sell you an Remington 870 shotgun or 700 rifle chambered in *.anything?

Simply find a new FFL to do business with.

- Janq

#22 ·
I think I'd take the weapon and the above quoted statistics into the shop and take charge of this one conversation.

"I bought this from XXX at YYY price. Cheaper than you, and I still get the weapon that you refused to sell me, plus I will no longer do business with you. Have a great day."

#24 ·
He would probably ask for LEO ID to purchase the 5.7 ammo if he even carries it - I'm not setting foot in that place again - that way I don't say something stupid. I try to stay away from knuckleheads. The new 01FFL just called me a few minutes ago and I pick it up tomorrow at 15:00 hrs. I'll post pictures when I get it. :danceban:

#25 ·
walvord,

Would it be worthwhile to make a complaint to the BBB? Make it read something like will not sell to non-leo's, etc....That way others folks have better visibility to see and avoid that shop.

Congrats on getting a better deal, even though you had to fight harder. Can't wait to see the pics!

Steve

#26 ·
I think between me, Grady, and that new 01FFL, we'll spread the word just fine. I know what you're saying about the BBB and I have gone that route before with businesses that give lousy service, but I believe I've read somewhere that 01FFL dealers have the discretion to sell to you or not just on their whim but that's usually because someone looks pretty unsavory or something - I didn't even make it into the store. I could stand corrected on that though.

#27 ·
I'd tell that dealer he needs to stop selling any firearms in 30-30, .223, .308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 30-06, or most of the other hunting calibers as they too will go through soft body armor

how stupid, definitely let them know they lost a customer and that you'll make sure word will spread

#28 ·
I find the whole "it will pierce their protective vests" argument illogical. A compound bow with a hunting arrow broadhead WILL pierce their vests yet these weapons aren't restricted to LEO only.

The whole "LEO only" thing is silly and appears to be based on "Neener neener, we can have it but you can't" schoolyard behavior.

#29 ·
I'm just going to add my voice to the folks urging you to find a new dealer. As many others have pointed out there are a multitude of ways to pierce armor, including many hand-held implements available at the grocery store. I wouldn't bother arguing with him either. Imagine you have a problem down the road... what happens when you need good service? Better to find someone who will provide good service now. You must have a pretty good idea of how he's going to treat you if there are any issues now.

#30 ·
He's perfectly within his rights not to sell any gun he doesn't want to, and to select his clientelle. Of course, you've got the right to select another gunshop, too - look on Gallery of Guns and use their zip code FFL finder. You can probably find someone fairly close who'll charge only a low transfer fee.

#31 ·
Just another power hungry ex-cop who thinks he should say who can and who can't:nono:

Find another FFL and take your business elsewhere, My FFl is alot smarter than that, he knows I'll probably spend another 10k next year like the last few.

DS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.