Local Gun Dealer Refused Shipment from Davidsons Gallery of Guns

This is a discussion on Local Gun Dealer Refused Shipment from Davidsons Gallery of Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to purchase an FNH PS90 from Davidsons Gallery of Guns last night over the Internet and received a call from them this morning asking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Gun Dealer Refused Shipment from Davidsons Gallery of Guns

Went to purchase an FNH PS90 from Davidsons Gallery of Guns last night over the Internet and received a call from them this morning asking if I was a police officer. I told them no, that I am not and why were they asking. They indicated that the local gun shop that would take receipt of the firearm will only sell this particular weapon to police officers as it is chambered in 5.7 caliber. The lady at Davidsons suggested I call this gun dealer as I have purchased my AR-15, AK-47, and "The Judge" as well as others through this particular gun shop and never had any trouble. Called the gun shop and was told, "Mr. X, the gun shop owner, is a former cop and 5.7 will go through their protective vests, so he doesn't sell them to non-LEO's." I find this pretty strange as he has the FNH handguns in the display case that shoots 5.7 caliber, but they were in no mood for discussion. Has anyone else ever had this situation happen before with their local gun shop? I find it pretty bad as this shop has a poster out front in the window with Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, etc. all the normal characters that wanted to or did take away guns from the populatioin, but here is a "gun guy" who I thought was a straight shooter, no pun intended, thinking that the regular guy is below a police officer evidently. Very disappointed. At least Davidson's is looking for an 01 FFL in my area that will honor the price that I agreed to pay. Maybe I'm missing something here - as always - I could be wrong. BTW, Davidson's was very supportive and agreed that it wasn't right and that they would have to take another look to see if they wanted to keep this particular dealer as an option for their customers as it was certainly causing them grief.
    Last edited by walvord; December 3rd, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Senior Moderator
    That stinks I have never had a similar thing happen but I would no longer use that shop
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

5.7 restricted from civilian sales? Interesting indeed. Penetrates ballistic armor? Well, I'm off to search the internet now.....................never heard that before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm
    Some military and police personnel view the 5.7x28 mm SS190 skeptically, although it is touted as a solution to defeating modern body armor. Many regard the SS190 as having insufficient "stopping power" for law enforcement use and this topic has seen much debate. Brief controversy ensued in the United States in 2004 when the Brady Campaign claimed that civilian-legal SS192 cartridges were able to pierce Level IIA body armor when fired from the Five-seven pistol. All civilian-legal game hunting cartridges, and even several pistol cartridges, are capable of such penetration. The ability of SS192 to pierce body armor as claimed by the Brady Campaign was not confirmed with facts or data by any authoritative agencies or sources. Although the British S.A.S claims that the SS192 pierces body armor and Warsaw vests. The SS192 is still used by the special forces in the fully automatic P90. There are FBI documented cases of concealed carry use of Five-seveN handguns using 192 ball ammo with fatal results when used in self defense. The ammunition was not restricted for civilian sales, since it is not legally recognized as armor piercing by the ATF. Nonetheless, FN chose to withdraw the SS192 from the market and replace it with the SS196SR, but the SS192 is not banned and is still available in the open market. The SS196SR's performance against armor is diminished due to a heavier varmint bullet (leading to lower muzzle velocity) and a polycarbonate tip that promotes expansion and fragmentation upon impact. The performance of such cartridges are similar to the .22 WMR (.22 Magnum).

FN's 5.7x28 mm brass cases are covered with a special polymer coating for easier extraction on the Five-seven pistol and PS90 carbine due to the high chamber pressures and lack of case tapering. In addition, the coating ensures proper feeding and function in the P90 magazines.
    All in all, I would be looking at another FFL dealer as well for your deal.

VIP Member
    I would make a trip to the shop and talk to the owner myself, face to face. It is possible that the clerk is mistaken, and the owner does not know what is being said in his name.

If in fact it is his policy. He should advertise the weapon as for "LEO only".

I would then find somewhere else to do business, and let every gun owner I know of his misguided policy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This guy does not know his product line. It is particular loadings of the 5.7 that would penetrate soft body armor. Just like particular loadings of 5.56 or 7.62x39. So why will he sell one but not the other?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I would make a trip to the shop and talk to the owner myself, face to face. It is possible that the clerk is mistaken, and the owner does not know what is being said in his name.
    This person can be a very condescending individual. Talking to him is usually a one sided conversation that lasts all of 5 seconds. But his prices are unbelievable - it's the only reason I go there - or should I say used to go there.

If in fact it is his policy. He should advertise the weapon as for "LEO only".
    Agreed. And that was not an option of the Davidson's web site or mentioned anywhere.

I would then find somewhere else to do business, and let every gun owner I know of his misguided policy.
    I will.

Davidson's just called me back and there is a place that I didn't know about that will take care of the transaction - and get this - at a lower price. Both Davidson's and the new 01FFL are waiving the shipping charge to make it cheaper. Some things always turn out for the best. One guy's lost customer is another's gain. If anyone in MO. wants to know the name of the 01 FFL that turned me down, please PM me - if that is against the rules then don't PM me as I'm not sure if it is or not.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

That's ridiculous. I wouldn't be going back to that shop.

-Jeff-

Walvord, I think I know who you're talking about already: former LEO, can be (usually is) condescending toward anyone not an LEO.

I've made it a point before to not shop there, but sometimes he will have a gun I want that no one else has... so then I relent.

This shop I am referring to won't even do FTF's for me any more. He'll claim he can get a certain item, so no need to buy it elsewhere, yet then he won't come through.

I've made it a point to buy elsewhere and only go there to window shop when I'm bored.

Sounds like he decides what a civilian should and should not posess,wanta bet he's a covert obama supporter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Walvord, I think I know who you're talking about already: former LEO, can be (usually is) condescending toward anyone not an LEO.

I've made it a point before to not shop there, but sometimes he will have a gun I want that no one else has... so then I relent.

This shop I am referring to won't even do FTF's for me any more. He'll claim he can get a certain item, so no need to buy it elsewhere, yet then he won't come through.

I've made it a point to buy elsewhere and only go there to window shop when I'm bored.

Grady - yes, if White Castle and Domino's are in your field of view, we're talking about the same place. I know what you speak of regarding FTF's - had the same experience there too. It's on to greener pastures and an 01FFL that applies the 2nd amendment to everyone equally - live and learn.
    Last edited by walvord; December 3rd, 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Grady - yes, if White Castle and Domino's are in your field of view, we're talking about the take place. I know what you speak of regarding FTF's - had the same experience there too. It's on to greener pastures and an 01FFL that applies the 2nd amendment to everyone equally - live and learn.
    That be the one. His reputation precedes him.

Sounds to me like the kind of place I would not do business with.

So he's a former LEO. Big deal, so am I. Who is he to decide what I should be able to purchase or not?

I think I would find out directly from him if the clerk was right and then I would tell him he lost a customer and never enter the store again for any reason.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like you both got what you deserved. You got a better deal by a gun shop willing to serve their customer's needs, and that GS owner lost your future business. Glad it worked out okay and to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think I would find out directly from him if the clerk was right and then I would tell him he lost a customer and never enter the store again for any reason.
    Davidson's has account executive's that serve the FFL dealers and they called me to inform that it was rejected since I'm not an LEO. I also called the store and they didn't hem haw around or anything - they said that it was X's policy and that's that. Just dumb to send customers down the road during these economic times - oh well I will not set foot in there again.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

What a joke! Find some where to spend your money who actually wants it! And yet you bought your ak there. The 7.62x39 will go through vest too.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links