Sight and trigger questions

This is a discussion on Sight and trigger questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two questions for the peanut gallery 1) Anyone have a trigger job done by Bill Springfield? Heard nothing but great things. Considering it for my ...

Thread: Sight and trigger questions

Two questions for the peanut gallery

1) Anyone have a trigger job done by Bill Springfield? Heard nothing but great things. Considering it for my HK.

2) Anyone use Heinie Straight 8's? Again, nothing but rave reviews, but it's just more money I don't need to be spending right now.

Thanks.

VIP Member
    Can't help you with the trigger job. But as for the Heine Straight 8 sights. My Taurus 1911 came with Straight 8 night sights on it. I hated them, had the changed out for conventional 3 Dot night sights. For me there was a marked improvement in accuracy.
    I need to find a buyer for the Heine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Can't help you with the trigger job. But as for the Heine Straight 8 sights. My Taurus 1911 came with Straight 8 night sights on it. I hated them, had the changed out for conventional 3 Dot night sights. For me there was a marked improvement in accuracy.
    I need to find a buyer for the Heine.
    Interesting. What exactly was wrong with the Heinie's? Are you sure they were sighted-in properly?

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge there was nothing wrong with the sights, or the alignment of them. Just my "old" eyes couldn't give me the proper alignment with them. One of the guys at the shooting range I use shot it. He was able to shot it alright, but stated that in his experience people either loved them or hated them, very few fell in between on them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had similar experience. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with those things. All of the USPSA/IDPA guys (that I know) who had them have taken them off in favor of Dawson Fiber optics or Warren/Sevigny, etc. IMHO, it's like trying to aim the gun with Rosie O'Donnel sitting on the slide.

I believe these were an equipment answer to a training problem--not having sight alignment after the draw. Practice your draw! You should be able to draw to a firing position with your eyes closed, and upon opening them have the sights aligned. If they are not, make them so. Close your eyes and feel how your arms and hands interact for a few seconds, and try again. It won't take you 10 draws before you can do it!

Ps--I believe Bruce Gray is THE HK trigger guy. Whoever you use, be sure to ask if all safeties will be intact after the work is done, especially if it will be an LEM trigger. It's common for them to lose the drop safety.

Incidentally, if you just want to sweeten it up a bit, you can simply change out the hammer spring to a lighter one. Midway has 10# and 12# available, I believe factory is #14.

Dan
    Last edited by JD; December 4th, 2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Thanks for the input, Dan. Checked out Bruce Gray's site. He doesn't do any work for the HK45, only USP's and P2000. If I decide on a trigger job, I'll think I'll go with Bill Springfield. Great reviews, fairly inexpensive, and VERY quick turnaround.

I'll do some research on the other sights. It's not that I have a real problem with the factory irons, but tritium night sights may be a good investment. Thanks again for the input.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The Heinie sights are fantastic. They are now available with the ledge feature that makes single handed remediation much more positive. They are worth the money! Here is the link. Heinie Specialty Products
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

JD
    Administrator
    I've got two guns w/ Heinie sights, I like them.

I'm 50/50 on those or the XS 24/7 Big Dots on my next gun...

FYI, the dots on traditional sights (Most standard sights, standard Novaks, Hieinie etc.) themselves should have absolutely nothing to do with the sighting as they are still partridge style sights and one should be aligning the front sight blade in the rear sight notch using the edges of the front sight...not the dots.

If one doesn't like the big white dots (me included) I color in the rear dots to be black and color the front orange.

The dots are to be used for "hasty" sighting, where proper sight alignment can't be obtained quickly, or at least that's my take on it....

YMMV

It is matter of getting used to them. I got mine with the PT1911 as well and now I am looking to change to Heinie 8 on my other guns. I have noticed that I align them faster and easier after I draw and aim. Horizontal alignment is easier than 3-dot.
    You just have to get used to it and find out what is best for you after using them for a while.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Links