Looking at purchasing a Kimber

This is a discussion on Looking at purchasing a Kimber within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been dragging my feet for about the past year on purchasing a 1911 and am really looking at the Kimbers. Mainly it would ...

I have been dragging my feet for about the past year on purchasing a 1911 and am really looking at the Kimbers. Mainly it would be a range gun with some home defense as well, but not an EDC. I have looked at both the TLE and the Eclipse, both are nice and have nice features included. Any owner inspired opinions out there?
    Also Eclipse owners I have a questions concerning the finish of the gun; how does the finish along the top of the slide hold up after usage? I love that finish on that gun, but would hate to spend in excess of $1000 to have the finish ruined by firing the weapon.

Thanks!

You'll love ANY Kimber you buy. If your worried about the finish...keep it in a glass case. Some wear will eventually appear on any 'carried' weapon. It's the part of the price of SD.
    Buy that dream gun and enjoy its companionship.

Stay armed...with quality...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I really wanted to add two Kimber's to my collection, but the issue with safety feature on them really turned me off....and scared me as I was going to use them as carry guns. I see the issue being discussed online, but have not seen clarification on where this has been cleared/fixed at this time.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I'd check out the Les Baer line if I was you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have an eclipse target II. The finish on the gun is perfect after 3 years of owning it. It's never carried, just a range gun so holster wear isn't an issue with it. The only place where some of the finish isn't holding up well is the takedown lever. The finish is looking a little thin on that but the black finish on the slide looks like the day I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I have an eclipse target II. The finish on the gun is perfect after 3 years of owning it. It's never carried, just a range gun so holster wear isn't an issue with it. The only place where some of the finish isn't holding up well is the takedown lever. The finish is looking a little thin on that but the black finish on the slide looks like the day I got it.
    Thank you for answering that question concerning the finish. I am worried about the finish on that gun. It is very stunning but if it was to get damaged due to use it would be a shame.

I had an opportunity today to look over and handle a SIS Pro. I really liked the weight and heft of this piece, the finish is also quite unique. It has really made my choice more difficult. One thing that I did like is that it does not have the "schwartz safety" unlike the other newer models. It runs equal in price to that of the Eclipse and just over $200 more than the TLE.

Decsions, decsions............

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Nice guns I love my custom II

Links