Problem with g27+lasermax+lwd barrel

This is a discussion on Problem with g27+lasermax+lwd barrel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've installed lasermax guide rod laser and LWD barrel in my g27 and now Im getting FTE about 2-3 times per mag. I use glock ...

Thread: Problem with g27+lasermax+lwd barrel

Problem with g27+lasermax+lwd barrel

I've installed lasermax guide rod laser and LWD barrel in my g27 and now Im getting FTE about 2-3 times per mag. I use glock factory mags and ive tried different brands of ammo. Does LWD barrel need a break in period? Ive had my g27 for couple of years now and never had a problem with it before.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Hey it is kind of off topic but i wanted to let you know that every magazine and review that i have read states that the lasermax guiderod lasers are not to be intensily practiced with. I was told the laser is accurate for up to 300 to 500 rds. My buddy has his in his 27 and shot the crap out if it and it is terribly innacurate now. FWIW. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Administrator
    Did you flip flop the new barrel and stock guide rod, then the stock barrel with the lasermax rod? This will at least narrow down the problem.

I don't know about the Lasermax, but Lone Wolf has a pretty good warranty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Hey it is kind of off topic but i wanted to let you know that every magazine and review that i have read states that the lasermax guiderod lasers are not to be intensily practiced with. I was told the laser is accurate for up to 300 to 500 rds. My buddy has his in his 27 and shot the crap out if it and it is terribly innacurate now. FWIW. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    For the amount of money they charge for the lasermax it better stay accurate for more than 500 rounds!. I will be going back to the gun range this saturday and I'll play with different set ups. Im thinking its the lasermax.... Thanks guys.

Well--is it a .40 caliber barrel or a conversion?
    Are you shooting factory ammo or handloads?
    What exactly is the gun doing (or not doing).

We'll get 'er figgered out! :)
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Well--is it a .40 caliber barrel or a conversion?
    Are you shooting factory ammo or handloads?
    What exactly is the gun doing (or not doing).

We'll get 'er figgered out! :)
    Dan
    its a .40 lwd barrel and i only use factory ammo in my glocks. Every 3rd or 4th shot i have a FTE , slide coming forward and stopping as it tries to strip a new round from the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by gunny79 View Post
    its a .40 lwd barrel and i only use factory ammo in my glocks. Every 3rd or 4th shot i have a FTE , slide coming forward and stopping as it tries to strip a new round from the mag.
    Well, I figure it probably has to do with the guide rod somehow. No experience with the Lasermax. Did you install this yourself or have it done? FTE is failure to extract correct? But your pistol is extracting but fails to chamber the next round or go into battery? I'm not familiar with the aftermarket barrels either mind you, but I'd say try the Glock factory barrel with the Lasermax guide rod and see if that works okay.....I'd lay down some money on it that it will. Lasers are precision devices, and I wouldn't know how long one of those internal lasers would be good for, but I can just imagine the abuse they take. I don't make a habit of practicing with my Streamlight M-6 attached to any of mine...just enough to know it is sighted in properly. Good luck nailing down the issue.

Administrator
    Ditto Ram Rod. That is what I would do.

"but I'd say try the Glock factory barrel with the Lasermax guide rod and see if that works okay.....I'd lay down some money on it that it will."

and the LaserMax is good for far more than 500 rounds.
    5,000 and it should still be fine and if not...LaserMax will replace it.

I did it myself, lasermax is drop in so not a big deal. Yeah, it fails to extract. LWD barrel has a slightly tighter chamber than glock factory barrel. Lasermax uses Wolff Titanium spring and its alot stiffer than glock factory guide rod spring. Thats the only difference I've noticed between new parts and factory parts . I'll mix and match once I go to the range and hopefully I'll get it figured out.

Administrator
    My money is on the Lasermax being the problem, but I'd still use the process of elimination to figure it out for sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    I beat my lasermax to death...thousands and thousands of rounds (probably around 10,000). It hasn't failed yet but I no longer trust it for SD duty. IMO the largest point of failure is the battery door. Mine no longer snaps into place, it is extremely loose. The laser is still 'decently' accurate for SD ranges, but with the whole barrel locking end of the assembly being loose it is certainly not as accurate as it was initially.

I definitely agree that these should not be used for extended practice.

On the other hand, it hasn't caused me any reliability issues whatsoever. I would certainly trust a new one that hadn't been fired a ton, in the setup it was designed for. In this case it probably is the combination of different barrel and lasermax that is causing the problem.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

FTF with a lwd barrel

I have G-23 and have carried a LaserMax for many years with no problem. I recently added a lwd barrel and started to have ftf on first round and randomly there after. My gunsmith found a tiny burr on the lwd's ramp and polished it out. The G-23/LaserMax/lwd combo works just fine now after hundreds of rounds although the lwd barrel prints 1 inch out, 2 oclock at 10 yards

replacement parts

I have never read a review that says replace lasermax parts at 500 rds. I have put thousands of rounds on my Glocks with LaserMax internal sights without a problem. The LaserMax manual says consider battery cap replacement at 5,000 rounds and consider a recoil spring at the same time. Contact the factory 1 800 LASER-03 for the latest battery cap if you have any concern.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Hey thanks guys. I guess maybe my buddy got a lemon. Ill make sure i tell him and maybe he can go and get it fixed
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxXam View Post
    I have never read a review that says replace lasermax parts at 500 rds. I have put thousands of rounds on my Glocks with LaserMax internal sights without a problem. The LaserMax manual says consider battery cap replacement at 5,000 rounds and consider a recoil spring at the same time. Contact the factory 1 800 LASER-03 for the latest battery cap if you have any concern.
    Aha! You can get replacement caps...that sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links