Storing Guns when Away from Home

This is a discussion on Storing Guns when Away from Home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do not own a gun safe. My kids are old enough to leave the guns alone that I keep in our beedroom. They are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing Guns when Away from Home

Storing Guns when Away from Home

I do not own a gun safe.

My kids are old enough to leave the guns alone that I keep in our beedroom. They are 15 and 18 years old.

We do lock the door to the bedroom when we are not there in case the kids have friends over and we lock the door when we all go out to dinner or shoping since I do not take all my guns with me.

I don't have a lot of guns, just 2 pistols and a rifle. One of the pistols is always with me outside of work.

I don't think having a gunsafe would actually stop a person from getting the guns inless the safe is huge and heavy and can't take it with you.

I was wondering do you guys have gun safes and is it worth my while in case my house gets broken into when we are not there ?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have a gun locker that is mainly to help keep honest people honest and to keep my son out of my guns.

Safes can deter burglars and a fireproof safe is just a good investment.

But given enough time a theif can defeat a safe.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Your kids may be honest and good but locking a bedroom door is not being locked.
    Defeating a room door 'lock' is so easy my 6 yr. old knows how to do it.

Also if a burglar gains entry to your home while you are away guess what happens to that locked bedroom door. It gets swiftly kicked in and breeched, with ease and very little effort.
    Now your guns and ammo are on the streets to be used or sold into criminal use. For me or mine or your neighbors to suffer secondarily as a result because you did not feel it necessary prudent to properly store and secure your firearms.

A locked bedroom door is a joke of a solution toward securing anything, especially firearms.
    You might as well place a sign on the guns that says 'These are invisible. You do not see them!' which would be equally functional and effective.

Invest in your own safety and that of your childrens wealth and buy yourself a proper gunsafe and/or mode of securing your firearms properly.
    If me, or mine, or your neighbor suffers at the hand of some criminal with your _unsecured_ weapons that were stolen then guess who is going to be the victim of a significantly spendy civil suit. Defending against a civil suit, even if you happen to win, will cost a hell of a lot more in time and coin and stress than that of purchasing a proper gun safe/lockable gun storage system. And do you think a civil court jury will buy a locked bedroom door, which everybody knows is childs play to breech, is an appropriate and functional means of securing firearms? I personally wouldn't bet on it.

You don't want to lose your home inclusive of your locked bedroom and/or your childrens college fund to a civil suit judgment over your unsecured very easily accessed without authorization by multiples of ways firearms.

- Janq

P.S. - Your bedroom has windows right?
    Windows with breakable glass in them. That room is not secure nor is it a secure container.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I highly recommend some sort of gun storage system. A gun locker will work, and are fairly inexpensive. While they will keep kids out of your guns they are easily defeated. A good gun safe is going to cost more and are quite a bit heavier, but will keep your guns safer. If you purchase a fire resistant safe it will protect your weapons in most cases, depending on what the fire rating is. The good point of a gun safe you can also store jewelry and important papers in it as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In the past, I have secured firearms using:

1. A large eyebolt screwed into a wall stud in the back of a closet, bike lock running thru the eyebolt and trigger guards of firearms
    2. A Homak gun cabinet, secured to the wall studs

As I learned more (and bought more ), I decided I wanted more permanent security. I now have a Liberty Safe built into the back of a walk-in closet for “large items" and a small, in-wall between-the-studs simplex lock safe for “small items” I access on a daily basis.

Your environment and size of collection will determine the level of security you need to both keep your items out of the wrong hands and protect them from theft.

But be assured that *any* safe can be defeated given lots on time on the part of the thief. Best bet is to add more layers of security to even deter attempts (alarm system, dogs, etc.)

I'd like to clarify something. I've read a number of posts where the poster has "several guns around the house", such as a handgun in each bedroom, etc., for easy access during a SHTF situation. So, do those get locked up each time you leave the house, or are they hidden enough that you're comfortable with them being "out"?

Assuming there are no kids in the house (as in my case), there is obviously a trade-off between easy access for me and easy access for the robber when I'm not home. Thoughts?
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Agreed with 3LD. ^^

Any safe or method can be defeated if enough time and circumstance is allowed.
    But a locked bedroom door, that is akin to placing the guns in a cardboard box and writing 'DO NOT TOUCH' on the front. Bogus.

There are many safe and inexpensive ways and alternatives to secure your firearms without having to spend coin on a traditional gun safe, which admittedly are quite spendy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You need to get a gun safe. I have one of the larger ones installed by a safe company and it's anchored to the concrete floor - it's not going anywhere. Just locked behind an interior door isn't very good.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I started out with a simple Stack-On 10 gun locking cabinet that I picked up new for $100. It did the job. I got thinking about it one day and wanted to make it more secure. I bolted it to the studs in the wall and through the floor around the floor joists. I drilled a hole and put a second lock on it with a different key and then had an additional steel plate welded onto the face that completely covers the hinge and the channels around the door. Also added a 1/4 steel plate in the bottom just to make it really heavy. Over kill, maybe, but I felt better. That thing would have to take out the floor and the wall to be moved. It was in good.

As my collection grew and I bought/acquired/inherited more and more firearms, I realized that my $200 bubba-ized cabinet was inadequate both in capacity and quality.

I now have a big Fort Knox 90 min fire rated safe that holds many firearms among other things of value. At first, $2k seemed like a lot to spend on a safe, but when you think about it, the contents are worth so much more than that (be it physical or sentimental value) that it is worth the cost. After I had justified it (to myself and then to my wife) and was willing to fork over the $2k, I found one on craigslist for "$900, you move." STEAL!

So I went to get it, not totally realizing what I just bought or where it was. Long story short, I had to borrow a bigger tractor than I had to lift it out of the basement and onto the trailer. Tipping the scales at nearly 1200lbs empty, I'm not too worried about anyone taking it, but I poured a little concrete bunk for it anyway and used a steel strap around the top bolted to the foundation.

She'll probably stay in the house forever....

Theres nothing wrong with a good cabinet or an inexpensive safe, even if its not fire rated, its going to keep them out of the wrong hands.

your kids are 18 and 16? I don;t know your kids and its not an attack on them, but I know that when I was a teenager, I had plenty of "weak moments" it would probably be better to be safe. And I wouldn't trust your childrens friends either, but someone elses kids may be more prone to "weak moments" and all it takes is one mention of those guns to the wrong person.

I have an inexpensive gun locker that is bolted to the floor. My guns are all locked in there when I'm away for an extended period. If a BG got past the alarm system, he would still be trying to rip it open as the police came.

I suggest an inexpensive one, just to stay on the safe side (no pun intended).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    I'd like to clarify something. I've read a number of posts where the poster has "several guns around the house", such as a handgun in each bedroom, etc., for easy access during a SHTF situation. So, do those get locked up each time you leave the house, or are they hidden enough that you're comfortable with them being "out"?

Assuming there are no kids in the house (as in my case), there is obviously a trade-off between easy access for me and easy access for the robber when I'm not home. Thoughts?
    Good question.
    Personally, there are two loaded guns unlocked and hidden in my house at all times, weather I or my wife is home or not. I'm going to limit it to telling you that there is a shotgun in my dining room and a 30-30 in my stair way. When we are home, I have one of my .357s on my nightstand and when I'm gone my wife either has her 38spl or 32acp on hers. There is a 12ga that sleeps in arms reach of me when I am home as well

I look at it the same as a concealed weapon. It is effective because you can have it and someone else can't. Just as there is an art to concealing a handgun on your body, there is an art to concealing one in the house.

As far as the security of it goes, I am 6'4" and I have to stretch to get the 30-30 and I know where it is. No one is going to "accidentally find" that one. The shotgun is practically out in the open, but it is so small, black and evil that no one has ever noticed it. Plus, I rigged up a system that utilizes a "Level II" style security to release the gun. It will break before it comes out if forced.

I don't trust any kids with guns. When I have mine someday they will be well educated but nowhere near guns until they are able to buy their own.

I know some gun ranges have storage options there, but I think you really should get a small safe that can be bolted down rather than storing it outside.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I have two Browning gun safes...a short one, and a tall one.
    When I'm home, both safes are open. When I leave the home, both safes are locked.
    The safes are out of site, and hard to get at...not impossible...just not out in plain view.
    Professional could certainly get in either, but the local dirtbags wouldn't get anything without lots of work.
    First they have to get by the neighbors...they see everything, and then the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    Certainly there are easier pickings at other places...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I, like JoninNy, have an inexpensive safe. It has a number configuration code to open it up and is securely (as best I could) attached to a wall 2x4. I suppose it could be pried out eventually but the house alarm would not give them any time to do so. On a second idea, if we were to leave home for any extended period of time, I would think about a safety deposit box at the bank.
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

I have a medium size Liberty safe for all my rifles and hand guns, ( I have a mini vault in my closet that stores my ready gun). I always keep the safe locked, even when I step out of the room for a moment. Get a good safe! It will give you some piece of mind while out of the house or on vacation. I have two sons, 12 and 17. They know better than to handle firearms with out my direct supervision, but I would never leave a weapon where they or their friends could gain access. The consequences are too great, and irreversible, not to mention potentially criminal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links