Just added a new addition to my "family"

This is a discussion on Just added a new addition to my "family" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got me a new Elk rifle, a 300WSM with a Nikon IRT scope. I might use it as an occasional Deer gun, but ...

Thread: Just added a new addition to my "family"

I just got me a new Elk rifle, a 300WSM with a Nikon IRT scope. I might use it as an occasional Deer gun, but mostly Elk. The scope has a Laser Range Finder built in with a Bullet Drop Compensator, which after learning your gun's/ammo shooting drop you can 'hold on target' and eliminate hold over "guessing"
    300 WSM 001.jpg

This is my "old" 270WSM with a Nikon scope (also with BDC, but no Rangefinder) above my 300WSM. They are both Model 7's.
    300 WSM 002.jpg
    Yes, I've been bitten by the WSM bug, really, check out the ballistic of these, especially the 270WSM!

But, my good ole' classic 270Win is still my favorite, and I've got some other standard caliber rifles, and I haven't abandoned these for the new wonder rounds, but I do think the 270 & 300 WSM's are some great calibers's.

Hey, any reason to buy a new gun is a good one, right?

Wow, that's a nice rifle. They both are.

That's the largest scope I've ever seen.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Sweet! How does one use a scope with a builtin rangefinder? Does the range just show up in the corner of the picture, or does it also highlight the correct elevation? That sounds really handy.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Gorgeous! Congrats!

Senior Moderator
    Nice.
    I was suprised at the amount of kick that the .270 WSM displayed the first time I ever shot one from the bench. It wasnt bad, but it was somewhat "snappy".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very nice. I am quite interested in those scopes and how they work. Could you provide any details? I am looking into a scope for my Remington deer rifle in .30'06 and those sound very intriguing.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Nice rifle, but what's with that scope...you take 2 mile shots?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shot a rifle that had the same scope on it at 800 yds with 30-06 180gr bullet. and like he said, "no guess work!" I shot 5 rounds into a 12"x12" target. Very handy!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Thanks Guys, I really like my 270WSM, and even though it (or my 270Win) will handle Elk, I decided to step uo to the 300Mag. Yeah, HotGuns, they do have a little kick, I put a new SuperCell recoil pad on the 300WSM, made a world of difference!, I'll probally do the same to the 270WSM, although it doesn't kick as hard as the300 of course.

The scope is pretty neat. There is a button on each side, and a remote you can put on your fore end or stock (it's in the picture lying beside the front sling mount) with an elastic strap, touch any one of them and it reads the distance to what your aiming at in the top right side of the scope as you look through it. You don't have to switch to a rangefinder and back to the gun, you don't even have to take your hands out of the shooting position if use use the remote. It has two settings, one shot which just gives the distance to the target your aiming at, or continuous, (push and hold for 1.5 seconds) which reads the distance as you aim around, the reading will change as you aim at different objects, or if you are aiming at a moving animal it will read real time ranges as it moves. Then it has the BDC reticle which allows for "hold on target" aiming out to 600yds. It'll read out to 775 yards.

The BDC part has 4 small circles under the cross hair; set the gun up so the cross hair is zeroed for 100yds and the 1st circle is for 200yds, 2nd circle for 300yds, 3rd for 400yds, and fourth for 500yds. This way you can aim without changing your scopes setting and eliminates hold over. These scopes are made to be used on many different guns and calibers so you have to figure out how it works with your gun. If you want, for Magnum rifles you can zero the cross hair in for 200yds, then the 1st circle will be for 300yds, 2nd for 400yds, 3rd foe 500yds, and fourth for 600yds. I don't do this, i go 100-200-300-and so on.

Even with a BDC, all different guns, and types of cartridges shoot a little different. To learn how to use it for your gun/ammo, you zero in at 100yds, then move your target out to 200yds, aim using the center of the first circle and shoot, if you hit a little low, use the bottom of the circle, if you hit a little high use the top of the circle, and keep repeating this process to learn your guns points of impact for the different ranges. Each circle offer three aiming pionts, top, center and middle, or even aim using points between the circles.

I have a BDC on the 270WSM, but not with the built in rangefinder, and it works really well, after setting the scope, just a couple-few shots for each 100yds after that and you can figure at your aiming piont of each circle and simply hold on target. If you can hit a paper plate consistantly at any range you are hitting in the lethal size area for pretty much any North American game, the paper plate is actually a few inches less than the lethal area, which gives you even a little more lee' way. With this BDC I can shoot 1/2 that size group at 300yds, and almost shoot 1/2 that size group at 400yds. No doubt the gun and scope are capable of doing better, but the shooter (me) is the weak link!!! The scope set up properly will allow a 'better shooter to go much farther accurately!

The nice thing is at ranges out to the 500yd mark (600 if you set it up for that) you don't have to aim high or hold over, just aim using your circle as a crosshair.

retsupt99,
    I wish I could shoot a 1/2 mile, much less two!! You know how it is, I've got the big "Buck Rogers" scope, but the longest shot I've every taken at any game, was a 7 point Buck at 265yds, and I did get it, with that first shot. I am ready though, although I do ponder pretty hard at any shots over 300yds, and probably wouldn't chance 500yds. The range holdover is covered, but a slight breeze will destroy you at those distances.

Jackle1886,
    I gave a touch over $500 for this scope NIB, which is a really good deal, from a dealer I do A LOT of buisness with. If You buy a Nikon 4-12x40 with the a regular crosshair, you'll pay about $300, for one with the BDC (but not rangefinder) you'll pay about $330. Then for a good Nikon rangefinder you'll pay anywhere from $200 to $400, but some base model's can be found for $175 or so. So combined that would be $500 to $700 depending on what you get, and around $650 or so is what you'll pay for this scope unless you can work out a really good deal some where like me.

I like it, and it's worth it to me to have it built into the scope, especially if you hunt strip jobs where you are likely to take a long range shot. But you won't really save money over getting them seperate though.

Only down side is, unless you take it off the gun, you can't use it at the golf course or such; Well you can, but people get all excited and
    stuff, you how people can be...........................

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Hmm. This Cabela's -- Bushnell Laser Riflescope looks similar. I may try it out when I get my .30-06. Seems like a great deal
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

How do they compensate for bullet drop? Does it come with a computer program where you plug in rifle and ammo specs? What kind of battery? Battery life?

Now that's a neat scope! That would look Great on my Ruger Charger. huuuh, a bit overkill I think. LOL.

Only down side is, unless you take it off the gun, you can't use it at the golf course or such; Well you can, but people get all excited and
    stuff, you how people can be.
    LOL. I can just see that. hmmmm, I wonder how far that is and and,,, why is everyone running?

new rifle

congrads on your new family member. looks great. enjoy.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Hmm. This Cabela's -- Bushnell Laser Riflescope looks similar. I may try it out when I get my .30-06. Seems like a great deal
    From what I can tell GWRedDragon the Bushnell and Burris Rangefinding scopes all work pretty close to the same. The only difference 'I think' is that Bushnell and others use a Mil-Dot reticle instead of the circles, but for the same use which will work the same way.

I've got a coulpe Bushnell scopes, and they are good scopes. I looked at the Bushnell myself, and was going to buy it because I could get a better deal on it, but ended up with the Nikon 'cause I got such a good deal on it.

I think you'll really like any/either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    How do they compensate for bullet drop? Does it come with a computer program where you plug in rifle and ammo specs? What kind of battery? Battery life?
    No computer programs, but you can get the ballistics for most any factory load on thier website. You have to shoot to determine how you use each Bullet Drop circle, but if you really want to shoot long distance you need to practice it anyway, right? Once you learn your setup, from then on you just aim where you want to hit using the established aiming point for that distance, read in the scope. Refer back to my second post, I go into more detail one how it is done.

The scope battery is a 3v CR2, the remote battery is a 3v CR2025.
    I can't say as to how long battery life will be, but just for intermidiate use during aiming and shooting I'd guess it'd be pretty good. The CR2 is the same type of battery used in many Red Dot scopes, and I've got a couple that are a few years old and still going. Once the scope is turned on by pushing and holding one of the buttons on the scope or remote, it goes in to standby mode and another tap of the buttons during this time will read the yds to whatever your aiming at, and re-start the two hour standby. If two hours pass without activation the scope will turn off automatically.

Sponsored Links