Defensive Carry banner

Ruger 10/22 Scope

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Snakedriver 
#1 ·
I am thinking of putting a scope on a Ruger 10/22. I am looking at a 3-9X32 or a 4X32. Now I don't see the need for a variable magnification on a 22 rifle for hunting. Or do I need it?
Mike

#2 ·
You don't really "need" a variable on it but I just happen to prefer one. Since your targets will be acquired at much shorter distances I would get a scope made for a rimfire... for example it would be set up to be parallax free at like 50 yards. Remember, you can't skimp on glass. You sure get what you pay for when it comes to optics. Don't think that you'll only use this scope for this gun. Get a good one and it will last your lifetime and you can use it for any other rimfires you might purchase. Enjoy it!

#7 ·
Do your self a favor, and forget the 3-9 variable, and buy a medium quality 6 power scope. If you typically would spend, say $125.00 for a 3x9, by spending the same money on a 6x, you will get a better scope. 6 power will work very well for all the capabilities that a 22 can do. Now you never have to worry about having it set on the right power, and you will be happy with the sight picture.

I have a couple of 6x's on my 22mags and like them far more than a 3x9 any day.

Z

#12 ·
Well we seem to be split between the variable and and fixed scopes. Soular you mentioned budget and I guess I should have included that. I would like to keep it under 150.00 thanks for the suggestions so for and keep them coming.
Mike

#14 ·
I like the variables on my 10/22's. My thumbhole heavy wears a Simmons 4.5-14x40 AO TT, and the lightweight wears a BSA 4-16x40 AO. Both of my Rugers are the target models. No reason really that I went with the adjustable objectives other than the thumbhole rifle being my silhouette competition rifle. If you use a scope properly....(low power at closer ranges and incrementally higher powers for the longer ranges), one shouldn't really need an AO scope on a 22lr rifle. Some may beg to differ, but I figure the 22lr's limitations extend out to around 150yds at best. One of my favorite rounds for silhouette takes a full 34 1/4" clicks from a 25yd zero (which is also good for 50yd), to make good hits on target at 100yds and make the steel fall. Since I consider myself lucky to have 20/20 or 20/15 vision, I'm not sure as to whether an AO scope would aid or correct other vision capabilities. I would guess not and as the eyepiece should do the focusing for that. I do utilize my adjustable objective features on both scopes/rifles, and as another member previously posted......I seldom get out of the 6-10x magnification with either scope. After a day at the range, or a shoot, they always go back to 6x and 25yd settings. That's been good for varmints right here close to home and quick target acquisition even in low light. Maybe the current rage is adjustable objective scopes in the average range of cost, but when the scope quality increases..as with the dollar amount, you'll need to decide if the added cost of an AO scope will be beneficial enough to make up the balance of what you'd pay for a better quality scope in a fixed power (as explained before by someone else). Just remember.....you are talking about the 22lr.....you won't need a scope better than the gun IMO. But depending on what you're going to do with it, I'd still shy away from the basic rimfire scopes of 4x32...especially with the venerable Ruger 10/22. BTW, I've had Tasco scopes, and still have one mounted on a rifle. I'd go with the BSA over Tasco any day, and if I were new to the game, I'd also take a hard look at the CenterPoint scopes now on the market. Made here in the USA of course! Just Google the Centerpoint Optics to find out more.

#17 ·
+1 on the Center Point Optics I included a link to their website for you. I just put this scope here on my deer rifle this year and was very impressed with it's preformance, I especially like the re-zeroing feature for the windage and elevation turrets. Another great feature that Center Point provides when you purchase a scope is the scope rings and flip open scope caps.

#18 ·
Again thanks for all the info guys. You all have given me some good ideas and now it is time for a little research.
Mike

#20 ·
Along the same line...

A month or two ago I got a 10/22 stainless "all-weather" with the synthetic stock at the BassPro shop. While I was there picking-up the rifle I grabbed a $50 Redhead brand 3 X 9 X 32 .22 rimfire scope and some rings to mount on top of my new rifle. The gun shoots great, and the scope zeroed easily enough, but the sight picture is fuzzy through the scope unless I take out my contact lense, then its clear. I don't have this problem with my other 10/22 that has a Simmons 3 X 9 X 32 .22 scope on it or with any of my other big game gun scopes. Any thoughts??? Sorry if this is 'jacking the thread, but it seems to fit right in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.