Flying back home with my conceal carry

This is a discussion on Flying back home with my conceal carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to do some traveling in January and then going to fly back home. I would like to travel with my firearm but I need ...

Thread: Flying back home with my conceal carry

Looking to do some traveling in January and then going to fly back home. I would like to travel with my firearm but I need to know what to do once I get to the airport to fly home with it Or would it be better to leave it home and not have any hassle with the airline.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, But today is a gift, That's why they call it the present

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Much depends upon where you are going. (Avoid the anti states...) Simple travel on an airline with a sidearm is really no hassle. Get a small lockable case for your sidearm, store your ammo in its original or a plastic case.
    Print out a copy of the rules...see above post for site. If still a little unsure, call the airline on which you're traveling.

Stay armed...enjoy your trip...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Much depends upon where you are going. (Avoid the anti states...) Simple travel on an airline with a sidearm is really no hassle. Get a small lockable case for your sidearm, store your ammo in its original or a plastic case.
    Print out a copy of the rules...see above post for site. If still a little unsure, call the airline on which you're traveling.

Stay armed...enjoy your trip...stay safe!
    That's about all there is to it. Make sure it is unloaded and locked in it's case and that the case in inside the suitcase you are going to check. When you get to the counter just tell the person you have a firearm to declare and do what they say. They may have a TSA agent check it or they may just have you sign the tag and put it in your luggage with your gun case, depends on where you are.

If you don't have a lockable case you may consider getting one like mine. It is a metal case with a built in key lock that looks like a dictionary. I got it at Wal-Mart for under $20 and it will hold my Kahr CW9, a spare mag, my knife, and a 20rd box of ammo. Laying inside you suitcase with your clothes and stuff it looks just like a book. IMO, a little added protection from prying eyes can't hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by snaredog View Post
    Looking to do some traveling in January and then going to fly back home. I would like to travel with my firearm but I need to know what to do once I get to the airport to fly home with it Or would it be better to leave it home and not have any hassle with the airline.
    Where are you going?

Just do some reading and basic research (this topic has been covered before)...and you should be fine.

Basically, you put your unloaded firearm in a locked hardcase INSIDE your checked baggage. Notify the ticket agent you need to check a firearm. Fill out an orange card that goes INSIDE your locked container. Secure your baggage...watch it get screened by TSA and you are good to go.

Check with the airlines as to how many guns you can check per bag. Also, you are generally allowed one box of ammo (secured in a container that is designed to hold ammo--like the original box), also secured in a locked container--sometimes with firearm, sometimes in a separate container locked in your baggage (best configuration).

That's it in a nutshell...just read the airline and TSA regs for specifics.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    One thing I always do, when declaring at check in, I make sure I say I need to declare an UNLOADED firearm. They like hearing that word. Sometimes they'll ask you to show them it is unloaded also (and the other pax. around you will give an amusing array of reactions at that....).

As stated above, review the rules of both the TSA and the airline before you fly. Have a great trip!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

If you can insure it too you might want to do that as a deterent to the airlines "misplacing" it.

Considering the far-too-common firearm thefts from your "locked baggage," I would do this:

Use a locking COM case which comes with a steel cable tether.
    Center Of Mass Central

Put the case in your luggage with the tether cable secured to your regular luggage, so the gun case cannot walk away from your luggage.

Place your unloaded handgun in the COM case, take a quick photo of this arrangement showing handgun serial number, then lock the COM case and lock your regular luggage.

TSA will require being able to access your luggage so you need to use a TSA-approved lock. But YOU keep the ONLY key to your handgun COM case AFTER TSA has inspected the gun for safety. That way, no baggage handlers can remove your handgun from its placement in your luggage. You can have ammo in the same luggage but it must be separated from the locked handgun case. Keep in mind that the weight of ammo (and luggage weight surcharges) vs. the cost of buying at your destination...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Considering the far-too-common firearm thefts from your "locked baggage," I would do this:

Use a locking COM case which comes with a steel cable tether.
    Center Of Mass Central

Put the case in your luggage with the tether cable secured to your regular luggage, so the gun case cannot walk away from your luggage.

Place your unloaded handgun in the COM case, take a quick photo of this arrangement showing handgun serial number, then lock the COM case and lock your regular luggage.

TSA will require being able to access your luggage so you need to use a TSA-approved lock. But YOU keep the ONLY key to your handgun COM case AFTER TSA has inspected the gun for safety. That way, no baggage handlers can remove your handgun from its placement in your luggage. You can have ammo in the same luggage but it must be separated from the locked handgun case. Keep in mind that the weight of ammo (and luggage weight surcharges) vs. the cost of buying at your destination...
    I have one of those Com cases already. Driving Snow birds ( ( 85 years old) to Florida to nest for the winter and then wife & I will fly back to Michigan after a few days. I'm looking to contact airline company to see how they would like me to handle this. Some people mentioned that some airlines are different on how they handle this. So I think I better contact the airline and see what they would like me to do. Good idea on getting pictures also. Wife is a licensed State Farm staff agaent. Extra Insurance may not be an bad idea also. I'll have some questions for the wife I can see. Thank you to everyone that has replyed back on this.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, But today is a gift, That's why they call it the present

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Snaredog,

I always print out the TSA rules and the rules from the airlines own website, just in case I run into an agent who is unfamiliar with the rules. It hasn't happened yet :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

The Way To Travel In A Nutshell

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
      • f the TSA wants to see.
    8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Trouble on trip

My wife and I flew out of OIA on Dec. 4 th. I had with me 1 handgun and a knife locked in a Securit loced case.We were flying AirTran.I had ammo in an other securit locked case. I had to remove box withammo and put it in another suit case airline rules. I had no other problems. We flew nonstop to Harrisburg Pa. On my return trip the check in went fine until I went to have the suitcase xrayed. The agent then marked my bag with a small dot sticker, He said so TSA knew of the gun in the case. I argued about it being marked. He said it had to be. I got back to OIA andf the sticker was still there. And my gun was also! I thought they were not allowed to mark the outside of the suitcase that it contained a gun! Can you help me out here?

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Patrave,

I've never seen my suitcase get marked. I did have a couple of interesting conversations in my recent travels at the different desks.

When I was flying home, College Station TX to Evansville IN on American and American Eagle, I had a conversation with one of the TSA guys about snap caps in the case. HIs first impression was that they were ammo. He was actually receptive to being corrected when I told him there was no energetic in the caps. Another TSA guy told me that I should also lock the suitcase the gun was in (which was confusing, considering that you're not allowed to lock them anymore...?)

When I flew back to CS from EVV a couple of days later, the check in staff made me put my firearms declaration card in the gun case that I then locked. I asked them why, how will someone who inspects the bag know the gun was declared and cleared. They told me that was the new rules. Still didn't make any sense to me, but I followed. The people at EVV didn't say anything about locking the bag on their end...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Links