Changing your ammunition

Changing your ammunition

This is a discussion on Changing your ammunition within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was just thinking that the ammunition in my glock 27 has been there for about 6 months. I carry Corbon DPX .40 cal ...

Thread: Changing your ammunition

Changing your ammunition

So I was just thinking that the ammunition in my glock 27 has been there for about 6 months. I carry Corbon DPX .40 cal
    So my question is this. How often do you change out your Ammunition? Am I do to change out ammunition for some new stuff?
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

I like to make sure I'm staying proficient with my carry ammo as well and that it still functions in the gun. Probably every 2 months or so I shoot what is in the guns and refill with freshies.

Never thought about shelf life though.

On a side note, If you carry with a round chambered in your auto, especially a 9mm or .40S&W, go get a dial or digital caliper and check the over-all length of the first round in the mag, the one that always gets slammed into the chamber when you take the gun out and load it for the day. Every time it is racked, there is potential for the OAL to be shortened, if only by a little. If it is shorter compared to the rest of the rounds in the mag, disassemble it, DO NOT SHOOT IT. This shortened round could cause an over pressure, damaging the gun and potential hurting you, if you aren't using your gun to protect yourself, or worse if you are.

Just one more good reason to rotate your ammo.

wow thats something I have never thought of. I guess I will keep an eye on the OAL of my rounds
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

When I was a kid, my Dad collected old, unusual, out of date ammo. There's a lot of old rifles out there for which ammo hasn't been factory produced in over 50 years. So, people hit the gun shows and buy what they need off of collectors. In partucularly we used to sell a lot of old .405 ammo before Winchester started making it again. I've never heard of ammunition coming with an expiration date or going bad after sitting unused for too long.

We had this old Korean war-era box of 30'06 tracer ammo that we used to take out at sunset and have fun with more than 30 years later.

It's obviously a different story if it hasn't been stored properly. Wet ammo can go bad, and corroded stuff should never be fired.

Senior Moderator
    When I go to the range, I shoot the first three SD rounds out of my mags to be sure that I use the rounds that have been touched by the extractor...then I go to the practices stuff.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    ...the first round in the mag, the one that always gets slammed into the chamber when you take the gun out and load it for the day...
    Just a question... Do many of you guys unload and load your weapons every day? I press check mine at the beginning of the day, but I never unload/reload unless I'm doing a dry fire exercise in the house or actually firing it at the range. Why would one unload and reload every evening/morning?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I rotate my carry/duty ammo about twice a year, about April/May, and again in October. More often if I feel like it. A chambered round is rotated out of the weapon after about two times being chambered. Ammo stored in a dry place indoors is good for years.

I just don't understand loading and unloading on a daily basis. But then, I am "subject to duty" 24/7, even when not actually on the clock, so my usual duty/carry guns are also subject to duty 24/7. I don't see how a private citizen's defensive needs are somehow turned off when he gets home, or goes to bed, or whatever it is that motivates unloading. Perhaps some folks switch weapons, using different weapons for home defense and the street. I only unload for maintenance, or if I want to store a weapon for a while.

I usually change out my carry ammo at the seasonal changes. I do that, and then shoot the carry ammo at an IDPA match so I can test myself with the ammo I carry in a match setting.

I use Cor-Bon 165gr. JHPs in my .45
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If the primers and powders are kept properly it will out last us all, and remain serviceable.

you haven't shot that gun in 6 months?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

In my CCW course the instructor recommended changing ammo every six months because he said sometimes the oils you clean your guns with can get into your primer and weaken it. I change my ammo every six month because it gives me an excuse to buy more ammo and shoot the old stuff. I just went from Speer Gold Dot to Winchester Ranger Talon in my Sig P-226 .357 SIG.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    In my CCW course the instructor recommended changing ammo every six months because he said sometimes the oils you clean your guns with can get into your primer and weaken it. I change my ammo every six month because it gives me an excuse to buy more ammo and shoot the old stuff. I just went from Speer Gold Dot to Winchester Ranger Talon in my Sig P-226 .357 SIG.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Check out this link concerning oil on primers. The soaked rounds primer up with several different oils for 5 weeks and fired them. If the oil penetrated or evaporated they applied more.
    All the rounds fired. YMMV

Ted

no I haven't shot the gun in 6 months ammunition is expensive and I'm in college. Its a Glock so I'm not worried about it firing. I do dry fire it once before I go out for the day.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links