Work carry question

Work carry question

This is a discussion on Work carry question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so I discovered my work's policy on carrying today the handbook says you can be fired for "the unauthorized carry of weapons" I already checked ...

Thread: Work carry question

Work carry question

so I discovered my work's policy on carrying today
    the handbook says you can be fired for "the unauthorized carry of weapons"
    I already checked with my manager, my 3.5in benchmade is fine, box cutter is fine, but I didnt ask about a pistol

I dont have my CWP, but WA state law states that I can carry concealed at my home, my work, and any property my family owns without a permit.

Sooo. Im struggling with their definition of unauthorized

Thoughts?
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Just ask. Say ....Out of curiosity, what about CCW handguns ? after you got your answer, you can adjust for any other questions, if you have any.
    My last job, the employees handbook said that weapons were unauthorized.
    All I did was step up to the plate , asked the RIGHT person my question and all was well. They realized that I had the experience, and was held responsable by the state, besides being the responsable person I am.
    If your perceived to be irresponsable, it might back fire on you.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The best policy for you to follow is to say nothing to anybody about carry. Thats what I do and I do it because it is nobody's business but yours.

Keep it that way. As long as your bosses are blissfully ignorant about your carrying, the better off you will be.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The best policy for you to follow is to say nothing to anybody about carry. Thats what I do and I do it because it is nobody's business but yours.

Keep it that way. As long as your bosses are blissfully ignorant about your carrying, the better off you will be.
    very true.... thats the other end of the spectrum. Its your choice to make.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    I believe what is meant by being able to carry concealed in a "fixed place of business" they are referring to a business you own. Law is not real clear on that point.

How do you get your weapon to work everyday?

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

While state law may "authorize" carry, if the company has not "authorized " you and you get caught, well I guess your out looking for a new job.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Keep in mind that a business or private property owner does not have to allow you the same rights or privileges afforded under state law. The rights of the business/property owner trump many of the rights of the individual.

If you want to be there and work for them, you must follow their rules. Just because the state says you are able to legally carry a gun does not mean that your employer must allow you carry while on their property.

This is a touchy area where one must tread lightly until you know which way the wind blows.

All good advice above...

It sounds like you are in WA state. I am sure you are aware that WA is an "at-will" employment state, right? At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it is not illegal. Something to keep in mind as you weigh the equation to carry at work or not.

No CPL yet? Get on that. :) May I also suggest you stop into a WA gun shop and pick up Dave Workman's pamplet, "Washington State gun rights and responsibilities." Lots of good info in there for WA.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Of course they can fire you.

You can also do your work much better than anyone else and then they may hesitate to do so, giving you bargaining leverage

Hiring employees costs money. Getting employees who are good at their jobs is often difficult. Of course, the larger the business is the less they actually care about the productivity of their employees and the more they just care about company rules.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    so I discovered my work's policy on carrying today
    the handbook says you can be fired for "the unauthorized carry of weapons"
    I already checked with my manager, my 3.5in benchmade is fine, box cutter is fine, but I didnt ask about a pistol

I dont have my CWP, but WA state law states that I can carry concealed at my home, my work, and any property my family owns without a permit.

Sooo. Im struggling with their definition of unauthorized

Thoughts?
    Your post invites a great deal of "reading between the lines."

Why don't you have your CWP? Is it because you're not qualified, such as being underaged? You asked your manager about edged weapons, but not a pistol. Why is that? Are you carrying a firearm to work or not?

I believe you are mis-reading WA state law. Certainly you can carry in your home or your parents' home because it's private property. "At work" means a place of work or business owned by you or your family, the same as your private residences or property.

"Unauthorized carry of weapons" means just what your employer says it means. They can prohibit any or all weapons on their property.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Your post invites a great deal of "reading between the lines."

Why don't you have your CWP? Is it because you're not qualified, such as being underaged? You asked your manager about edged weapons, but not a pistol. Why is that? Are you carrying a firearm to work or not?
    I dont have my CWP because Im not old enough. I asked my manager about edged weapons because there is a big difference between carrying a pocket knife and carrying a .45. I am currently not carrying a firearm to work.

I believe you are mis-reading WA state law. Certainly you can carry in your home or your parents' home because it's private property. "At work" means a place of work or business [U]owned by you or your family
    Are you sure about this?
    I just dont see how fixed place of business means business owned by your family

-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    I dont have my CWP because Im not old enough. I asked my manager about edged weapons because there is a big difference between carrying a pocket knife and carrying a .45. I am currently not carrying a firearm to work.

Are you sure about this?
    A business owner has a place of business. An employee has an employer not a business (unless it's separate from where you work).
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

1943 - 2009
    Are you sure about this?
    I guess I wasn't very clear. So let's start over.

You said in your OP that Washington state law allowed you to carry concealed, without a permit, "at work." If this were so, then every employee of every employer in the state would be allowed to carry concealed, without a permit, "at work." Simply not true.

What it means is that you can carry concealed, w/o a permit, on your (or your family's) private property and by extenstion, on your (or your family's) business property.

To put it another way, if you or your family is a business owner, you can carry on your own business property, the same as your own private residence, w/o a permit. But if you are an employee of a business not owned by your family, which applies here, the law does not allow you to carry "at work."

And if your employer prohibits firearms at his place of business, that's his right.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Captain Crunch is exactly right. Law speak is a bit confusing, but he explained it precisely right.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

My place of employment made it very clear. Any gun brought on site is terms for termination, even if found in your car. I have never seen them search a car in my 30 years there. So thats where I leave mine
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I guess I wasn't very clear. So let's start over.

You said in your OP that Washington state law allowed you to carry concealed, without a permit, "at work." If this were so, then every employee of every employer in the state would be allowed to carry concealed, without a permit, "at work." Simply not true.

What it means is that you can carry concealed, w/o a permit, on your (or your family's) private property and by extenstion, on your (or your family's) business property.

To put it another way, if you or your family is a business owner, you can carry on your own business property, the same as your own private residence, w/o a permit. But if you are an employee of a business not owned by your family, which applies here, the law does not allow you to carry "at work."

And if your employer prohibits firearms at his place of business, that's his right.

Ok this makes more sense to me now. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Clint Smith

Sponsored Links