Anyone Like the Savage Model 99?

This is a discussion on Anyone Like the Savage Model 99? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who likes Savage 99 rifles? I love the Savage 99. What a great classic big game rifle! To me it's one of the most dynamic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Like the Savage Model 99?

Anyone Like the Savage Model 99?

Who likes Savage 99 rifles?

I love the Savage 99. What a great classic big game rifle! To me it's one of the most dynamic looking rifles ever made. It looks good, both scoped and unscoped. It is a strong, well thought out design that shows interesting workmanship and handles some very useful cartridges. Alas, to intricate and expensive to manufacture these days.

I kept a Model 99 .300 Savage for many game filled years and took a number of deer with it. Sold my old 99 in a batch of firearms in order to purchase a collectible car. Regretting it, I picked up this one in 2005. It's a mid 1950s rifle that's just like my old one only in better shape and with a really decent trigger.

Haven't played with it too much in the past three years. I hand loaded up a batch of cartridges from an old favorite load recipe and took it to the range this morning. When I bought it, it was equipped with a Weaver K3. I recently put a Weaver K4 on it so it'd remind me of my old favorite. Took most of a box and a half of ammo to properly sight it. Here's the finished product and the best effort from the bench rest at 100 yards despite the very high gusty winds we're experiencing today in our part of Texas. One and a quarter inch 5-shot group. The old rifles will SHOOT with a little care and feeding! May take it to the deer woods with me on Thursday.

The load used consists of a 165 grain Speer spitzer boat tail, a near max charge of IMR 4895, Remington 9 1/2 primers, in Remington cases. Seat bullets out to where the finished cartridge only barely fits the rifle's magazine.

From the 24 inch barrel of the Savage 99"

MV 2513 fps
    ME 2602 ft./lbs.
    ES 29

Anyone else for "show and tell" about the Savage 99? I'd love to collect a bunch of em but there's the matter of funds.

Lost a scope cap this morning though. Dropped both in the pocket of my shooting jacket before fiddling with the scope. Only one came home. Does anyone out there in Forum Land have a scope cap to fit a Weaver K model?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    What a great rifle. I always preferred the .308 but the .300 was a great cartridge for whitetails as well.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I have a Savage Model 99 .250/3000 from the 1940's left to me by my uncle. Reportedly the first firearm to shoot at greater than 3000fps. It has been the downfall of a truck load of deer and a few bear.

Love it. A classic firearm that shoots great, accurate, and I can even shoot it with my aged dim eyes with open sights.

Would like to have it in a larger caliber as well.
    Last edited by Blue; December 8th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Hi Blue;

I hope to sneak up on another 99 in .250-3000 one of these days. A great cartridge for a hand loader and a deer killin' daddy. I imagine your rifle is sweet.

In the early 90's, I owned a dinged-up model 99 in .308, it was perfect for those mulies in the sierras'. A friends' dad had this georgeous model 99 in .243. Back in the early 90's (again) when I got to admire it, was like was brand new. He had shot more deer with that rifle (no scope), I had remember him saying, and was the only rifle he used since he bought it around 1960. Amazing....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Two in the family. Great rifles, super accurate. Kept their value quite well. The non .300 savage are rare and sought after. My dad has a take down model. Pretty interesting!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Hey bmcgilvray,

Not trying to brag, but it is beautiful with the patina that has grown over the years. The anomily of my gun is that for some reason the front sight is half of a penny. Suppose that something happened to the original and that was all they had to replace it with.

Hope that you can find one as well. They are such a wonderful piece of history, and so comfortable to shoot.

OOOooo... Blue, wish you'd post a photo.

Will have to get my daughter to help, I don't know how.

I hoped to get my brothers 300 Savage but he gave it to his Son. I have been looking for one for some time. I would take a 99 in any caliber.

Senior Moderator
    I love em. I've got a 99 in .308 that is an extremely accurate rifle. My Dad has had it for several years, its what he deer hunts with.

Nice classic lines.Rotary magazine. Nice rifle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Whats not to like BMC? With chamberings from .243 to .358 Win in an elegant woods functional package? I hunt with several gents who are blessed to carry such a piece of history.( I still kill more deer but thats not the 99's fault). Good Luck with it!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

My first rifle was a 300 Savage with a weaver scope given to me by a great uncle. Killed my first deer in ID second in CA. Still have it. When Uncle Mort gave it to me he told me of all of the notches in the stock including: bear; 5 point/side deer; 4 point/side deer. Will give it to my son.

I have my grandfather's 1930's vintage 99 in 300 Savage. I shot my first deer with it. He had a 250-3000, but it was stolen a long time ago.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Very nice rifle. Thanks for posting it. It is a joy to read so many people's positive memories about a particular type of rifle.

I've never had the opportunity to mess with one unfortunately, but I intend to add one to my collection in the next few years. Now that I think about it, my dad may have one of these, but I can't remember. I'll have to ask him. I can't recall what all he has in his collection.

Lately I have beome somewhat enamored with older classic deer rifles and have been reading a lot about them. The Savage 99 has a lot of well deserving fans out there from what I have come across in the literature.

I think I'll be looking for one in .308, since it is a caliber I already have "in stock" and am set up to reload.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links