So You Have a Flawless Running Semi-Auto? IISHOT1000 2009

This is a discussion on So You Have a Flawless Running Semi-Auto? IISHOT1000 2009 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So you have a carry gun that functions flawlessly? Or perhaps you have a new home defense handgun you would like to put through its ...

Thread: So You Have a Flawless Running Semi-Auto? IISHOT1000 2009

So You Have a Flawless Running Semi-Auto? IISHOT1000 2009

So you have a carry gun that functions flawlessly? Or perhaps you have a new home defense handgun you would like to put through its paces to see how well it can perform? Then this will be a fun and informative match for you!

2008's ISHOT1000 match was a great time and yielded some interesting results (see ISHOT1000 Match Results - TheFiringLine Forums). There are still some guns left untested and some questions to be answered so we are announcing the 2009 IISHOT1000 to be held on 2 May 2009 in Forestburg, Texas. (Forestburg is north of the DFW metroplex.)

The purpose of the match will be the same as last year - 1000 round function testing of guns to see which makes and models perform best. The match will also be designed to challenge the shooter, to be entertaining, and to provide useful trigger time.

There will be no maintenance of ANY kind allowed during the course of twenty, 50 round stages. Malfunctions will be recorded and the results will be posted after the match. While the last match involved a lot of blasting at various stationary and moving targets but no accuracy scoring, this match will include some specific stages that will challenge shooter skills and further test the abilities of the gun. At least four stages will be competitive shooter stages, of which two will address speed (best time) and two will address marksmanship (best score/group). All stages will be shot with a time limit.

Requirements:
    Semi-auto carry/defense handgun (.380 caliber or larger)
    8 magazines that hold at least 7 rounds each
    Holster (or appropriate case)
    Standard safety gear (eye/ear)
    1000 rounds of factory ammunition (Reloads did not perform well at all last year. The match is not designed to test the reliability of ammunition but rather the reliability of the handguns.)

No Entry Fee is Required
    All awards will be in the form of certificates which indicate the performance of the shooter/handgun combination.

Email Double Naught Spy with your email address if you are interested in participating - horn_hill_range@yahoo.com
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Glad to see there was a strong showing by the G26 in the last one
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

As I recall, that particular G26 had been purchased used many years prior to the match. It had been carried and shot for several years by the father (who was in the match) who passed it to his son for a carry gun. His son had it for at least a couple of years and had shot it quite a bit. So it was a 4th hand older G26. Of the three guns that finished flawlessly, it was the one with the most rounds through it, by far.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Thanks for the post. Good read

So what were the other pistols to make it? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I especially like how the mighty Wison Combat CQB had numerous failures until I saw that it was shooting reloads.

I would guess Bill Wilson builds a pretty good gun, but no gun will function with crappy ammo......

Still, I remember words of wisdom I learned about 1911s and their fitting from Junior Nowlin, one of the best barrel makers out there: "A 1911 barrel, being fitted properly should cycle magazine after magazine of empty cases through it without fail". If it doesn't, the barrel wans't done right.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I especially like how the mighty Wison Combat CQB had numerous failures until I saw that it was shooting reloads.
    Yep, GIGO. The gun won't function if all the parts are not within operational tolerances and ammo is a part of the functioning of the gun, albeit a disposable part. Given the abyssmal performance of those shooting reloaded ammo and experience with reloads in other such matches, we are not allowing reloads in 2009.

Still, I remember words of wisdom I learned about 1911s and their fitting from Junior Nowlin, one of the best barrel makers out there: "A 1911 barrel, being fitted properly should cycle magazine after magazine of empty cases through it without fail". If it doesn't, the barrel wans't done right.
    While I don't doubt the accuracy of the statement, empty cases are fine for one aspect of testing, I guess, but they don't dirty the workings, generate heat, recoil, or cycle the gun.

So what were the other pistols to make it? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.
    It's in an attachment in the first post of the results thread.

The Glock 26, a Colt NRM Commander and a SIG 239 SAS.

Sound like fun, wish I could make it. I would just like to see someone shoot a Baby Eagle to see how it stacks up.

I have only had one issue, and I think that was an operator error not seating the magazine fully (IDPA shoot). I have run probably 2k through mine, of several brands of ammo, including imported reloads, and my own. Compared to my Desert Eagle, who is a very picky eater, my Baby will eat anything I put in the mag.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

When is the 2009 1000 shot challenge going to be?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I might have to check that out, that sounds fun and I'd be real interested to see how my Sigma works out.

Maybe a N. TX DC.com trip?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    When is the 2009 1000 shot challenge going to be?
    2 May 2009, Saturday. We will start bright an early, with signup from 7:00-8:00 am, 8:00 am shooter's meeting, and hopefully be putting rounds down range by 8:15.

Remind us later please. I would need to head that way on the 1st but can stay in Rowlett, or Rockwall with clients or friends or someplace.

Sounds like fun. Would love to put the PT 24/7 through its paces.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

For those of us north of the mason-dixon, please post results. Wonder how my Smith or Colt wheelies would do? Oh, never mind...

Yep, we will post the results, as we did last year.

Links