Ever been seen as the bad guy?

This is a discussion on Ever been seen as the bad guy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed that this happens to me a lot and it happened again this morning on my way to class. I was walking on one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever been seen as the bad guy?

I've noticed that this happens to me a lot and it happened again this morning on my way to class. I was walking on one side of the street and a small framed female was walking towards me. Then when she saw me, she quickly turned and went to the other side of the street (almost running in front of a car). I realized that she thought that I (a 6'3, 280lb guy in a black leather jacket and stocking cap) might pose a threat and decided to avoid a confrontation. I don't have my CCW right now, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar situations where they were seen as a bad guy and whether you were carrying at the time or not.
    I don't know if this is the right area to post this in. So if it's not then just move the thread.

Not since I shaved and took a shower.

Seriously though, if you look the part you can't blame someone for casting you as the BG.

I rarely get the "hmm..." look anymore because I'm clean cut, I keep my face and head visible, and I usually have a smile on my face. Come to think of it, I'd make a GREAT bad guy because I'm never seen as such.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Senior Moderator
    I have been mistaken for a homeless guy, drug addict, hippie, male prostitute (in Key West, that was a interesting day), and most likely a shifty character.

This stems from my lack of shaving or triming my beard, going months (sometimes years) between haircuts, not caring about the style of my clothes or what they look like (they are clean but they might not look it) and genearl bohemian air.

I smile and am polite which just makes me creepy
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member

I don't exactly understand the question

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    I've noticed that this happens to me a lot .....Then when she saw me, she quickly turned and went to the other side of the street (almost running in front of a car). I realized that she thought that I (a 6'3, 280lb guy in a black leather jacket and stocking cap) might pose a threat and decided to avoid a confrontation. I don't have my CCW right now, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar situations where they were seen as a bad guy and whether you were carrying at the time or not.
    What connection are you trying to draw between being mistaken for a bg and whether or not someone is carrying concealed? Why would your appearance (when not armed) and the response you get to your appearance have anything at all to do with how you would be perceived if armed (and the arms were lawfully concealed)?

I know it is hard to change the way you appear, folks dress certain ways out of habit, because they like the look, and so on. Still, if you are frightening others by your appearance and the way you carry yourself you should consider altering your appearance so you don't convey the wrong idea about yourself.

I know, you shouldn't have to do that, but we live in the real world, and it IS important to us how we are perceived. Sometimes it can help us get a job, a better grade, a lover, and sometimes it can scare humanity away, keep us from getting the best job, and so on.

Dressing in a conventional manner for the geographic location where you live will go a long way toward keeping you from having trouble find you.

No one mistakes me for a bad guy and they are giving me my senior discounts in restaurants automatically now so I guess people have me pretty well figured out.

Yes I've been told that I am quite intimidating and that my stare is "scary" to people who don't know me. I've had people tell me I look "pissed" or "intense" when I'm just holding my normal face. I've often purposely softened up my face and given a quick smile to those who I can see are watching me in that way just to put them at ease.

I guess in some ways it is a blessing and a curse. Since my situational awareness is naturally high most often a look at those that I see as a threat is enough to show them I'm not an easy target to pick on.

On the other hand I've had LEOs watch me a bit longer then they might look at others which IMO is a bad thing since I am not the person they should be watching. But I make a point to make eye contact with them and nod if needed since most perps do no make eye contact with LEOs from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What connection are you trying to draw between being mistaken for a bg and whether or not someone is carrying concealed?
    I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar situation where people mistook them for a BG. Then I thought, what if someone maybe saw you printing and figured out that you were carrying and called the cops. Or maybe, if you are forced to pull out your pistol to protect yourself, maybe some other person saw you with a gun pointed at the real BG and called authorities on you.

Also it doesn't matter too much on what i wear. Even if I had on nice clothes I still have close cut hair, a scary stare, and an ogre-ish face.

I find that it helps if I don't have the stocking hat pulled down over my face and I'm peering out through the two freshly cut knife holes with my two beady eyes.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Yes. This used to happen to me very often when I was a teen forward into my mid twenties.
    I've found that even as I have aged people still generally assume I am a decade or more younger than my actual age just by my appearances alone. I've had many young people, college aged, remark total surprise upon finding out I am not a contemporary of theirs by age upon being carded at clubs and the local grocery marts.

I did notice during my mid twenties and afterward that the old time results of women grabbing their purse close to their body and such have largely gone away. I have chalked that up to there being less social ignorance these days than in times and decades of my own generational past.

The one thing though that has not changed again for my own experience is the reaction from police and by persons who to my eye and scan appear to be criminal lifestyle associated.
    With police I am often times asked by them in general conversation if I am in law enforcement or 'military'. It happens _alot_, especially so when I'm in my by day work mode of mindset.

Same when I'm on the streets and specifically out by myself day or night and where ever be it a club, bar, or the last instance this past Saturday in Springfield, MA I stopped at a random gas station to top off my car.
    I went inside to pay and buy a container of Gatorade only to at the door see a male standing there approx. 50 and to my looking like he had at one time served time. There were no dead give away tats or anything, but my street sense gut told me 'That man is a con'.
    He eye balled me and eye balled him right back noting he was scanning me, as I scanned him. I did not speak a word as I walked past him to get my goods. I kept him in my peripheral though and non chalantly looked for in store mirror surfaces (glass doors of the refrigerated products section) to keep my eye on him. After I returned back to the counter I noted the counter person was looking to me to appear a bit uncomfortable. Not fearful but just well you know that look people get when they are uncomfortable. The prey look.
    I gave him my product, took out my wallet to swipe my credit card...and purposefully as I did this I canted my head and eyeballed the guy for a long than normal socially brief second and he still was standing at the door, observing us both. I replaced my wallet. Yes, I was carrying, this day strong side hip and forward with a folder knife stowed inside my right rear pocket against the inner seam undetectable right next to my wallet.
    After ringing me up the clerk thanked me for stopping by, which I thought was odd. I smiled at him and told him; "Have a good day and stay safe.". Again I'm just going with my gut and people interaction skills.
    I turned to exit and the guy he's still eyeballing me. I now know for sure he is actively scanning me for assessment purpose of foe or po-po. He does not deem me to be a mark and his next move cemented that.
    I get to the door and he physically takes a step to move himself away from it and reaches down to push the bar and half open it for me. He's shown his hand. I turn to him in the face and say; "Thanks man", though without smiling. Just my normal face which most folks remark is serious. To which he says; "Hey man, take it easy."
    I looked over at the clerk who now was watching us both and then back to the guy straight into the eyes and replied; "You too". The con half smiled in the face but not in his eyes (sincere smiles of warmth always come with a change in the eyes), and I walked off to my car.

I was wearing zone appropriate street gear; Blue jeans, timberland boots, a pull over sweater, with a field jacket style outer coat, and a Kangol hat.
    The BG thought I was either a BG too, or a cop. I'd bet same for the store clerk as well.

At times this can be annoying but overall I've found these impressions by others to be useful and even advantageous for me under various types of real world walking around conditions. Atleast once in my now adult years it's saved me from being engaged and caught up in what I'm sure was a planned and coordinated robbery/mugging setup. Also at a gas station.

- Janq

P.S. - I go to great extremes to check myself and be sure I am not printing (!) or even can be detected as carrying _prior_ to leaving the house each day. I dress around my given mode of carry and I carry differently and using different types of arms as dependent on where I may be going, the time of day, and who I expect to come into contact/interact with. I've gotten to be pretty good at it as a result.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I find that it helps if I don't have the stocking hat pulled down over my face and I'm peering out through the two freshly cut knife holes with my two beady eyes.
    It won't help that I'm getting a balaclava for Christmas.

Senior Moderator
    Every time I wake up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have been mistaken for a homeless guy, drug addict, hippie, male prostitute (in Key West, that was a interesting day), and most likely a shifty character.

This stems from my lack of shaving or triming my beard, going months (sometimes years) between haircuts, not caring about the style of my clothes or what they look like (they are clean but they might not look it) and genearl bohemian air.

I smile and am polite which just makes me creepy
    OK pgrass, we want to hear that story!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm married, so yeah, I'm the bad guy almost daily (can I get a witness?).

My 17 year old daughter's friends routinely call me (take your pick): the Viking, the Secret Service guy, the mobster, the assassin, the CIA guy, yada yada. I'm largish (6'5" and 270) and short cut hair; don't generally scare the little old ladies but I bet I could if I donned a toboggan and my black leather jacket...

Just this week I went to put groceries in my truck on the passenger side. As I was wheeling the cart I could hear the lady parked next to me hit the door lock button in her car. After i got in my truck she looked over towards me and I immediately made a big show of locking my door with my best terrified look. Take that snotty-pants. john

When I wear shorts, and short sleaved shirts..... YES. I shave about once a month, have ears and eyebrow pierced, all with leg/arm/and many other unseen TATS.....Sadly in the eyes of many I'm a "bad guy".
    One funny story I was picking up my daughter from the day care, and couldn't figure out why one lady avoided me like the plague (smell check..yup good)????? Later found out she thought I looked "scary", to which the day care lady busted up laughing. She was at my daughters birthday party and thought of when my daughter and I "danced" with her new dance mat...There I am surrounded by kids dancing around on a mat....
    I've gotten used to it and pay no attention anymore....
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links