Will I get in trouble?

This is a discussion on Will I get in trouble? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend who lives in Kalifornia who just bought an FN 5Seven and a Ruger P95. Will I get into trouble if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I get in trouble?

Will I get in trouble?

I have a friend who lives in Kalifornia who just bought an FN 5Seven and a Ruger P95. Will I get into trouble if I mail or ship him high cap mags for both guns? I know that Kalifornia has a ban on high cap mags and they only allow 10 rounders. I told him that it's illegal but he said that as long as the gun was manufactured before year 2000 that it will be okay. Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

I don't want to get in trouble and lose my CCW license or lose my guns and go to jail.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

2. Remove Ads

If I recall the ban on magazines requires you to be able to prove you owned the magazine prior to the start of the ban, or at least that the magazine is pre-ban. If it is illegal and you send it via the mail it could be an issue.

Lead Moderator
    I would err on the side of caution with this. I believe importing any hi caps is illegal since none of the catalogs/store list as able to ship to CA that I have seen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I don’t think you will get in trouble, but he sure will.

In California you must have OWNED the magazines prior to the ban in order to have them. A Civilian can not legally obtain them now.

Of course I don’t know how the state would know when he acquired the magazines unless they were to intercept them in transit.

Why risk it, you don't want the ATF involved up your butt. Let him bring it a across the state line
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Friend or not, it isn't worth the risk. Tell him sorry, but can't do. If he wants them that bad HE can travel out of state and buy them himself.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is a state issue....NOT BATFE issue. The only person who will get in trouble is the guy living in CA. That said, I wouldn't mail regular capacity magazines to anyone in CA, NJ, NY, etc...but if they want to come pick them up, that's on them.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't mail them myself, I wouldn't want to risk my ability to own firearms in the future
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Even if you are not in the state you may still be 'importing'. Plus I'm sure there is some federal law against "using the mail to break the laws of any state" and even "conspiracy to use the mail to break the laws of any state".

If he wants to break the law, that's his problem. If you know he plans to break the law you should not help him IN ANY WAY. Do not even give him high-cap magazines if you know he intends to bring them where it is not legal. Doing so may make you an accessory to the crime or a 'conspirator' in the case of the screwed up federal mail statutes.

IANAL...but this is serious business and you should take the law seriously, even if it is the law of a state you do not live in.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Hey exprt9, haven't seen one of those patches in a long time. I earned one of those even though I was AF...

There is a very good chance it is illegal ,why risk breaking the law,and ending up getting arrested on some state or federal crime possibly a felony if it's a US mail violation and losing your rights.If he wants high cap mags tell him to move where it's legal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by shooter76blue View Post
    Hey exprt9, haven't seen one of those patches in a long time. I earned one of those even though I was AF...
    When I was stationed on the 7th Fleet Flagship USS Blue Ridge, we had embarked staff from the different branches of the service. We afforded the E-7 thru E-9 embarked staff from the other brances, the opportunity to participate in our Chief Initiation rites. I know a Marine GunnerySgt and an Army SFC that went thru it. They wore their regular collar devices but underneath their collar, they proudly wore The Navy Chief's collar device. Since we now have a kindler and gentler Navy, they done away with the Initiation and I think they now call it CPO Selectee Indoctrination.

I'm pretty sure I can speak for the rest of the Navy CPO community,
    We Salute you (shooter76blue) as an Honorary Member of the Navy's CPO Community!
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Keep in mind that the FN weapon in question did not even exist before Khaliforniastan's ban went into effect. There will be no way for your friend to say he had them before the ban.

In my opinion...an big ...don't do it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do not know the laws or the answer, but I sure would not do it. It is simple not worth the risk.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links