Kel Tec PLR-16

Kel Tec PLR-16

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PLR-16 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have one of these? How's it shoot? etc... Not really a CC "pistol" but is WAY cheaper than a AR rifle....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec PLR-16

Kel Tec PLR-16

Anyone have one of these? How's it shoot? etc... Not really a CC "pistol" but is WAY cheaper than a AR rifle.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.1 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (36.7 KB, 21 views)
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Handled one at a gun show and it felt almost like a toy - the plastic stock was so flimsy I was afraid I'd break it just from closing it wrong. I don't believe it's possible to attach a standard stock. Also, there's no recoil spring, so I've heard that it kicks a bit more than a standard AR.

Still a neat gun IMHO. I figure I'll get one once they get the flimsyness worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Handled one at a gun show and it felt almost like a toy - the plastic stock was so flimsy I was afraid I'd break it just from closing it wrong. I don't believe it's possible to attach a standard stock. Also, there's no recoil spring, so I've heard that it kicks a bit more than a standard AR.

Still a neat gun IMHO. I figure I'll get one once they get the flimsyness worked out.
    No recoil spring or no buffer? I don't see how it would load the next round without a spring, inertia would be unreliable, especially if it's flimsy and/or you limp wristed it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    Anyone Not really a CC "pistol" but is WAY cheaper than a AR rifle.
    And Way more useless than an AR. I can only see it being useful for shooting a lot of corrosive 5.56 ammo, so you want damage your rifle.

But that is just my personal opinion. I have never shoot one and only handle one once.

The Kel-Tec SU-16 seems like a decent idea and from my limited handling of them seem to be a good truck/trunk gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I wouldn't mind having one, maybe to ride in my gear bag with my SUB-2000. Here's links to some cop site reviews that are pretty positive.
    Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 Handgun - Articles - POLICE Magazine
    kel tec plr16 - PoliceLink

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, maybe to ride in my gear bag with my SUB-2000. Here's links to some cop site reviews that are pretty positive.
    Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 Handgun - Articles - POLICE Magazine
    kel tec plr16 - PoliceLink
    Based on those links, I don't know why someone would not have one....
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

I have a PLR-16 and love it! Plenty accurate out to where my tired old eyes fail. Recoil isn't that bad, but it IS NOISY! Put a single point sling on it and it's almost like have a stock. Really helps to steady the thing. Plus the barrel shroud (er, foregrip) is also a welcome accessory. I put a cheapo laser on mine and it's ready to rock! It's so small and handy I'd go for this over a regular AR for in close home defense use. Probably never would though due to overpenetration issues. I'll stick with my 45, 357, or 12g at home!

Is it a necessary piece, no, but is it fun? YES!

Here's mine. Threw my EOTech on there for fun! The EO almost costs more than the gun setup.

PLR

They are fun to shoot. The downside is the muzzle blast is kind of strong. We tested it in wet newspaper and the performance of the M855 and some 55gr JSP and 55gr FMJ was nowhere near as good as a carbine or rifle. Of course, it was still better than other handgun rounds like 9mm, or .40. There has been some question around here about the use of M855 and whether or not it is "Armor piercing handgun ammunition" by the legal definition if loaded in a KT. Haven't got a clear answer on that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    No recoil spring or no buffer? I don't see how it would load the next round without a spring, inertia would be unreliable, especially if it's flimsy and/or you limp wristed it.
    It does have a recoil spring. It's enclosed in the forward tube of the bolt carrier so it isn't obvious in some of the pictures. The owner's manual shows it: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/do...-16_manual.pdf
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    Sorry, off topic, but I have to say, this may be the best signature line I've ever seen.

Sorry, off topic, but I have to say, this may be the best signature line I've ever seen.
    HeHe. Thanks. ;)

Does this somehow deceptively meet all the measurement requirements or do you need an SBR stamp for it?
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    Does this somehow deceptively meet all the measurement requirements or do you need an SBR stamp for it?
    It's a pistol, no tax stamp needed. America, what a country!

The Kel-Tec SU-16 seems like a decent idea and from my limited handling of them seem to be a good truck/trunk gun.
    Sorry to be off topic, but I wanted to answer this.

Yup, that's what mine is for. It's cheap enough that I don't care if I lose it.

Biker

It's a pistol, no tax stamp needed. America, what a country!
    Though in some states, like NY, it's classified as an assault weapon. It takes the magazine outside the grip, is over 50 ounces (by 1 lousy ounce), and has a threaded barrel.

(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
    magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
    (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the
    pistol grip;
    (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
    suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
    (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
    encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm
    with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
    (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
    unloaded;
    So check your state's laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links