Dry Fire Practice with Dummunition or snap-caps

This is a discussion on Dry Fire Practice with Dummunition or snap-caps within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I am new to CC and handgun ownership. I am signed up for a safety class. I have been reading about dry fire training ...

Thread: Dry Fire Practice with Dummunition or snap-caps

Hi,

I am new to CC and handgun ownership. I am signed up for a safety class. I have been reading about dry fire training and use of "dummunition" and snap caps. Can anyone explain what exactly they do when loaded and fired? I have read posts suggesting that dry firing can be bad for the gun (Glock 22 and 27). Comments from anyone that has used the Dummunition brand would be greatly appreciated. For that matter, any additional information would be great.

Thanks.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    A 'snap cap' is generally a piece of metal or plastic molded in the shape of a cartridge, with a spring inside attached to a piece of metal where the primer would normally be. All it does is absorb the force of the firing pin strike so that the firing pin does not impact the backside of the breach face with too much force.

I recommend clear ones that you can instantly see are not real cartridges:

"Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I have also heard they are great for practicing your malfunction drills when you are a little more seasoned with your weapon. Loading them in randomly with your live rounds while at the range during your shooting drills can be good practice.

Anyone else have any thoughts/feelings about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
    I have also heard they are great for practicing your malfunction drills when you are a little more seasoned with your weapon. Loading them in randomly with your live rounds while at the range during your shooting drills can be good practice.

Anyone else have any thoughts/feelings about this?
    ill have a buddy load them and I do the same for him. that way you don't know which mag or where. It is a great drill.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

cj
    I like the A-zoom line...they're high tolerance, machined aluminum and hold up very well. They're also a lovely maroon color that can't be mistaken for a live round.

BIG SUGGESTION: If you use these, designate an 'ammunition free' area for the practice. NO ammunition nearby or available while using the snap caps. There are far too many instances of extremely cautious people managing to put a hole somewhere they didn't want one with just a minor distraction or other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGIO View Post
    Hi,

I am new to CC and handgun ownership. I am signed up for a safety class. I have been reading about dry fire training and use of "dummunition" and snap caps. Can anyone explain what exactly they do when loaded and fired? I have read posts suggesting that dry firing can be bad for the gun (Glock 22 and 27). Comments from anyone that has used the Dummunition brand would be greatly appreciated. For that matter, any additional information would be great.

Thanks.

Dan
    It's my understanding that dry firing is not harmful to a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    It's my understanding that dry firing is not harmful to a Glock.
    That may be the case, but practicing with snap caps is beneficial for other reasons. First of all, your gun will behave differently with the snap caps in the magazine and chamber than it would if it were fully unloaded. Second, you can simulate (hopefully not too common) problem scenarios, such as dud rounds, stovepipes, etc. There is no other (safe and sane ) way to practice those.

I've been using the A-Zoom snap caps and really like them.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I use snap caps regardless of how safe a gun is with dry firing.

One thing I do is leaving the slide open and dropping the snap cap in as I can see that the dummy round is the only one in there.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! I use snap caps for a variety of training activities. After using several different brands I have found these to be the best hands down. Enjoy!

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Dummy Rounds
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Welcome aboard! I use snap caps for a variety of training activities. After using several different brands I have found these to be the best hands down. Enjoy!

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Dummy Rounds
    I needed to order some cardboard targets from there anyway so I picked up a couple of the 9mm rounds as well. I'll give them a shot.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by DJGIO View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.

Dan
    Looks like you already have some good advice there. Wanted to commend you on making safety the highest priority. Make sure and start with good habits and you'll be fine. Yes, I know we all talk about safety, safety, safety but a person can get so much enjoyment from shooting. Welcome to the forum Dan and we look forward to your posts!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    That may be the case, but practicing with snap caps is beneficial for other reasons. First of all, your gun will behave differently with the snap caps in the magazine and chamber than it would if it were fully unloaded. Second, you can simulate (hopefully not too common) problem scenarios, such as dud rounds, stovepipes, etc. There is no other (safe and sane ) way to practice those.

I've been using the A-Zoom snap caps and really like them.
    I'm not arguing the usefulness of snap caps. Just trying answer part of the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I needed to order some cardboard targets from there anyway so I picked up a couple of the 9mm rounds as well. I'll give them a shot.
    Sweet pun, man!
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I like clear snap caps....those on that site are brass covered and I know I can check it a million times, but wouldn't feel too safe with brass covers on snap caps.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Sponsored Links