3rd vs 4th Generation Glock

This is a discussion on 3rd vs 4th Generation Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know the compatibility of the different generations. Does a 4th generation slide work on a 3rd generation frame? Are the 3rd and 4th generation ...

Thread: 3rd vs 4th Generation Glock

Anyone know the compatibility of the different generations.

Does a 4th generation slide work on a 3rd generation frame?

Are the 3rd and 4th generation magazines interchangeable?

PS - I know there is some question as to if the 4th generation is even real (a 1+ year internet conversation), but I think most have been told something is happening in jan / feb 2009. It is possible that the 4th is not real, but they are just producing a lower and upper with different features.

Just wondering if anyone is in the know?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I think the only difference in the gens was a change in the thickness of the dust covers on the 9/40/357 frames. You can look at the serial number plate. It it looks like it is folded over at the ends to fit the frame it is older. The new frames look like there is a window that the plate fits into from the rear. There may be some changes with the others that I'm not aware of. The mags should work in either as long long as you don't try a non ambi mag in an ambi weapon. They will work the other way though. That is an SF specific thing though. Other than that the answer should be "yes" to your questions. If I'm ate up on this please let me know.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    <snip>
    The mags should work in either as long long as you don't try a non ambi mag in an ambi weapon. They will work the other way though.
    <snip>
    Glock is making 'ambi' weapons? When did that start? What are the ambi features? Reversible mag release? Reversible slide release? Just wondering since I'm a lefty myself.

Brian

You wouldn't be talking about the RTF Glock would you? RTF stands for Rough Texture Frame. I hear it is an option, or will be. As far as the ambidextrous mag release frames, I haven't heard any more about them, but my G19 I purchased earlier this year did come with two ambidextrous magazines in standard (hi-cap) capacity. I may not be as up-to-date as I should be on the upcoming Glocks, but as far as I know, there hasn't been any debut of a "fourth generation" OEM Glock as of yet. Then again, I could be wrong.

Senior Moderator
    I think the ambi frame (mag release) applies to the G21SF IIRC, and I think that model only. Which ever model it is, I think it's the G21SF, the mags for it will work in G21s, but G21 mags will not work in the G21SF.

Anybody know for sure, because I'm not real confident I'm remembering the model correctly, but that's about the only one in current production it could be.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I think the ambi frame (mag release) applies to the G21SF IIRC, and I think that model only. Which ever model it is, I think it's the G21SF, the mags for it will work in G21s, but G21 mags will not work in the G21SF.

Anybody know for sure, because I'm not real confident I'm remembering the model correctly, but that's about the only one in current production it could be.
    I think you're right on the SF models BTW. I wouldn't however consider the changes on the larger caliber Glocks to be entering into another generation per se. A sweeping change across the board for the 9, .357sig, and 40 calibers would be the basis for a 'new generation'. There would be two ways of looking at it though......the Glock way, and our way. We'll have to wait and see what the public and media say to be sure. For now, I'd consider these partial modifications or new options to be a twig off of one branch of the tree since they are less dramatic than past changes in the Glock's basic design. Pistol generations and magazine generations shouldn't be confused IMO. Sometimes it can be confusing.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

Yes, that was my understanding. I think that they are looking toward military pistol trails.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Magazines

All the OEM magazines we've been getting at the shop have the ambi catch on the front just like the 21SF magazines. I've seen 17, 19, and 22 magazines.

I'm sure the ambi is coming, although I hated it on my SF. Sharp edges that snagged everything.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Are you sure your not talking about this new Glock awwwww look it has GILLS I wonder if it can breath underwater.

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have seen those pictures and I have read accounts of people who say they have held one at the factory. I don't know if that is true or if that is a fake.

I can tell you this though, those "gills" make a gun that, while it wasn't pretty, butt ugly. That is the dumbest thing Glocks could have done. The rough texture frame seems OK. But I would have liked to see them actually redesign the grip so it is more ergonomic and go a head and integrate interchangeable back straps into the design like the XD-M, the K&K Pistols, the FN pistols, the Walther Pistols, the M&P pistols, the Ruger SR9.....you see the trend? But what does Gaston do? Puts gills on the gun. He designs a great gun, but he is a pig headed stubborn fool who is stomping his foot and refusing to do any real redesign of his guns and there by he is losing market share to the XD, the S&W M&P and several other models. He's a fool and the Glock design will not undergo any real change until Gaston is not running the company any longer.

And for the record, I am not a Glock hater, I carry a G23 every day and it sits on my hip right now. I love the gun, but I would love it more if it fit my hand a little better.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like those slide grips as I don't like the sharp grip on the current gen models. But regardless of the upgrade, I won't be buying one for a while until all unforeseeable issues have been removed.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Sponsored Links