.22 Rifle ID (long)

This is a discussion on .22 Rifle ID (long) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe not too long though. I was just reading the latest installment by Mas and it made me take it out of the case. My ...

Thread: .22 Rifle ID (long)

.22 Rifle ID (long)

Maybe not too long though. I was just reading the latest installment by Mas and it made me take it out of the case.

My grandfather died a few years ago and my grandmother wanted me to have his .22. She says its a Sears and Roebuck and was given to him by her for their first anniversary.

Im guessing that since my mom was born in 1949 this would be before then. LOL

When I got the thing I tried to load a bullet in it and slide the bolt up but it wouldnt go so I let it go and figured for the last 5 years that the gun needed work to be fixed.

Tonight after reading Mas I threw a bullet in it and the bolt went all the way forward and it actually fired just fine. Its gonna need some cleaning Im sure.

Gramps put a small scope on it and my grandmother says they just used it for target practice but I think my grandfather used it for more than that since there are some screw holes where a sling must have been put on it.

Ill try to get a pic and update but was wondering if there was anywhere I could check on these for posiible dates. Im having a hard time reading anything on it other than the .22 marking on it, possilble due to the scope covering the rest.

Im gonna take it out Sunday and shoot up some ammo with it after a cleaning.

Any resources for determining its age?

Ive also got another old .22 my father in law left my wife when he passed. It was the first gun she shot. Ill have to check on it as well.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I have a very similar one. Mine just has Sears and Roebuck and .22 LR engraved on it. Pull back cocking and bolt single shot. Single screw holding stock to barrel. Same sort of trigger guard. I got mine for Christmas in the mid 60's as a young kid. My first gun. It has no model number, serial number or name on it. I am assuming from its era it was made by, probably, Savage. But I don't know that for a fact. Yours being even older I could venture a guess it might be Stevens/Savage or Ithica or one of those. Winchester, I think, had stopped selling to Sear by 49 but I am going by failing memory there.

There isn't much to these things. If you will Pull back on the trigger as you rotate the bolt open and pull back, while holding the trigger back, the entire spring, firing pin and bolt will slide out the back as one unit. You can then soak that all with some penetrant and then oil while then cleaning the chamber and bolt.

That looks very much like a Stevens I had years ago. I don't recall the model number though.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks for the replies guys. Im gonna ask my grandmother about it again here soon and see what year exactly she purchased it.

I have a rifle that looks exactly like this, and I believe it is also from Sears. When I get off my tour I will take a look at it and see if I might be able to get more information for you.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Thanks J and sorry MODs for puttin this in the wrong place.

I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Wow, thats a good set of numbers. Im afraid Ill have to remove the scope to see the rest of the numbers. Ill check it out in a bit.

Hopefully yours will have a model number to use that with.

Mine has none. However I am pretty sure at that point in time mine was obtained the only single shot .22's that Sears was contracting in during the middle 60's where coming from Savage (who had bought Stevens by then so it could really be Stevens but thats splitting hairs). So seeing yours is so similar I would almost bet its a Stevens or Savage. But... I cannot confirm that since mine has no model numbers anywhere on it.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, having internet trouble at the house, My rifle is made by Stevens, can't exactly remember the model number but i will get that let you know, i believe that we might be able to trace it back using the link in this thread
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Links