Going to shoot an under-fired gun...

This is a discussion on Going to shoot an under-fired gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got an Astra A-100 .40 I haven't shot in over 10 years. I admit it hasn't been taken care of very well. I shot ...

I've got an Astra A-100 .40 I haven't shot in over 10 years. I admit it hasn't been taken care of very well. I shot it quite a bit when I got in 1995, but my job took me to places where I couldn't really shoot it conveniently.

I recently applied for my CCW. I'm in the process of getting a carry gun (likely a P239) and I'd like to shoot my Astra when I try out the 239. Besides giving it a good cleaning and lubing, are there any other precautions or actions I should take before I shoot the Astra? I'm proficient and comfortable with handguns (military), but I'm lacking in the care, use, and maintenance department. I'm learning rapidly thanks to sites like this!

As you are cleaning and lubing, just check all the parts for any damage. If all the parts look good and you lube it up good, you should be fine.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    As you are cleaning and lubing, just check all the parts for any damage. If all the parts look good and you lube it up good, you should be fine.
    Ditto...
    Frame cracks?
    Clean and lube...
    Fire her up...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would definitely check for cracks, but there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it as long as it wasn't abused.
    There is a gun you don't see everyday....I know my dad actually has one of these and remember him calling it a Sig knock-off.
    But if you like shooting this pistol, I don't see why you wouldn't like a Sig.

As much as I wanted to like the Sig, they are not the most concealable pistols even in compact or more accurate shooting for me (but this may not be for you). Just don't make the mistake of buying one unless you know for sure that you can shoot it....I wasted a bit going through 2 Sigs.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidgun View Post
    I know my dad actually has one of these and remember him calling it a Sig knock-off.
    But if you like shooting this pistol, I don't see why you wouldn't like a Sig.
    It's a knock off of a Sig 226. It's been a while since I've shot it and I've shot a lot of handguns since then, but I think it shot well from what I can remember. I'll post again after I shoot my Astra and the P239.

Thanks for the advice from everyone!

Links