Carry after cleaning

Carry after cleaning

This is a discussion on Carry after cleaning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know why, but I only clean one pistol at a time. And don't carry the one I clean until I have had a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carry after cleaning

I don't know why, but I only clean one pistol at a time. And don't carry the one I clean until I have had a chance to take it back to the range and put about two magazines through it.

I am confident with the assembly after cleaning, but until I know a pistol fires after clean......I just don't have the same level of confidence.

Does anyone else ever feel that way?
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

VIP Member
    No.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

No. If I didn't believe that I could correctly reassemble the pistol after cleaning it, I wouldn't take it apart. A parts diagram is a great help here for those pistols that I'm not totally familiar with.

I also run through a function check after cleaning to be sure that the pistol is properly assembled. I do this even though I'm pretty sure that it went together properly without any parts left over/out. After that, I secure the cleaning gear and put it away then load the mag, chamber a round and holster the weapon. I've never had a firearm fail to function with this method that was the result of disassembling & cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassking View Post
    I don't know why, but I only clean one pistol at a time. And don't carry the one I clean until I have had a chance to take it back to the range and put about two magazines through it.

I am confident with the assembly after cleaning, but until I know a pistol fires after clean......I just don't have the same level of confidence.

Does anyone else ever feel that way?
    No
    I have utmost confidence in my pistols...clean or not. I'm carrying one right now that hasn't been cleaned for several hundred rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I've never had a firearm fail to function with this method that was the result of disassembling & cleaning it.
    I have never had a weapon fail ever, but still there is some confidence or peace I must be missing, until I fire a few rounds.
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

I'm actually more afraid of it's performance if I don't clean it after a day at the range. A clean gun is a happy one:)
    HK45c V1

I only carry 'clean' weapons...
    If I shoot it, I clean it...

Stay armed...keep it clean...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I only carry 'clean' weapons...
    If I shoot it, I clean it...
    Same here. no dirty guns carried unless I am on my way back from the range.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Never heard of this.

Have you ever experienced a malfunction when firing a pistol after reassembly?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I clean, lubricate, and function check my weapon after I clean it. But I'm not carrying an unclean autoloader for any more time than necessary.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I felt this way when I first started keeping a loaded gun for potential defense purposes. The uneasy feeling of not having 'tested' a gun after cleaning went away after a bunch of cleaning sessions.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I didn't want to pull out the wild card here....but.......

Clean, unclean, or run over by a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Never heard of this.

Have you ever experienced a malfunction when firing a pistol after reassembly?
    Yep! A Ruger 22/45. It's a great target gun and a blast to shoot. Stripping it down for cleaning isn't bad either. But, it's a royal PITA to put back together. You have to pay very close attention to the instuctions as you turn the gun upside down and stand on your head with one leg out to the right and an arm out to the left.

Yes, it will fail to fire if not assembled correctly. Luckily, it's not a carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    Yep! A Ruger 22/45. It's a great target gun and a blast to shoot. Stripping it down for cleaning isn't bad either. But, it's a royal PITA to put back together. You have to pay very close attention to the instuctions as you turn the gun upside down and stand on your head with one leg out to the right and an arm out to the left.

Yes, it will fail to fire if not assembled correctly. Luckily, it's not a carry gun.
    Tip: if when you are done you have parts left over, toss them because you didn't really need them anyway.

"Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I carry clean, but if I take something down to the levels beyond what is needed for a routine cleaning I give it a good check to make sure it works.
    eg, after popping my SP101's complete lockworks out all over my bench (that pawl spring plunger and spring are a major PIA) I make sure it cycles, locks up and the firing pin does what it's supposed to.
    bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links