NON Resident Permit and NICS

This is a discussion on NON Resident Permit and NICS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Question. If you have a Non Resident CCW permit are you still excluded from NICS background check if you do not have ...

Thread: NON Resident Permit and NICS

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

NON Resident Permit and NICS

I have a Question. If you have a Non Resident CCW permit are you still excluded from NICS background check if you do not have one for your state of residence and you are purchasing in that State? Thanks in Advance.
    Last edited by Scott; December 15th, 2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixed the thread title
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

My answer would be dependent on what state you are talking about. I have Ohio, PA and NH and I still have to do the NICS check in my home state of Ohio. i alao can't purchase a pistol out of state with any of them.

But, I know that in some states the state CHL does waive the NICS check. I doubt that an out of state CHL would do the trick.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

No. Not in any state.

Reason being, in states that allow their CPL to waive the NICS check, they have a system in place that is equivelant to NICS. Your out of state CPL will not guarantee that you have passed a state equivelant of the NICS check.

I know you cannot buy a handgun in a state you're not a resident of but I remember years ago you could buy a shotgun or rifle in another state.Has that changed to where you cannot buy any gun out of residential state
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The NICS check waiver is only for resident permits of some, not all, states. As an example, here in Georgia with a GFL the NICS check is waived, however, should you only have a Florida non-resident permit the NICS check is still required. This is because of federal requirements. As for the question of buying long guns in another state, yes this can still be done. Handguns can only be purchased in the state of residence or handled FFL to FFL.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I know you cannot buy a handgun in a state you're not a resident of but I remember years ago you could buy a shotgun or rifle in another state.Has that changed to where you cannot buy any gun out of residential state
    You are correct Duk, its Federal Law. To buy a handgun, you must be a resident of that state. To buy a shotgun or rifle, you must be a U.S. citizen and a resident of any state but are still subject to NICS check. Some states will accept your non-resident CCW permit to bypass the NCIS background check, which ones, I dont know.

For instance ...

I am a Montana resident but currently working in Utah. I have a Utah CCW permit. I cannot buy a handgun here in Utah, I must return to Montana for that. If I want to buy a shotgun in Utah, I can bypass the background check because I have a Utah permit. However, my Utah permit does not bypass the NICS check if I want to purchase a handgun in Montana. Make sense? Whew, not sure I understand what I just typed.

To the OP: Each state has its own set of requirements, I suggest you check with a local gun shop. To me its not a big deal, its only a few minute phone call to verify your criminal history.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. I did not realize that about rifles and shotguns. I was in a store the other day and someone was buying a rifle from out of state and I wondered How. Thats How I came up with the ? Thanks
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

No. Not in any state.

Reason being, in states that allow their CPL to waive the NICS check, they have a system in place that is equivelant to NICS. Your out of state CPL will not guarantee that you have passed a state equivelant of the NICS check. +1 NO STATE

Like everyone else has said, you can't buy a pistol in any other state than your home state of residency. Long guns are different.

Some do a background check, some don't. My home state of Wyoming doesn't do a check if you have a concealed carry permit.
    Howard
    USAF (Ret.)
    Proud NRA member
    Iron Butt #26949

In MO. a CCW permit from MO. or any other state does not exclude one from an NICS check when purchasing a firearm.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links