Pondering full size 1911...

This is a discussion on Pondering full size 1911... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been weighing my options since my last post about 1911 pistols. I had some of the folks indicate that the full size may ...

Thread: Pondering full size 1911...

Pondering full size 1911...

I have been weighing my options since my last post about 1911 pistols. I had some of the folks indicate that the full size may not be as difficult as a task as the compact that caused my woes when trying to reassemble it. I just have some more questions. Would a full length guide rod make the task of assembly more manageable? If so, which of the following models I am about to list have it? The models I have been considering are the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, Springfield Armory GI model,and the Taurus 1911. Any thoughts the quality/ reliability of the aforementioned models? I figure carry is possible, but probably only during the winter months. Your thoughts and input are most welcome.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    The full length guide rod generally makes it harder to take apart and put back together, and serves no real purpose.

Of the guns you listed, only the Taurus has the FLGR (full length guide rod), the two Springfields do not.

It really doesn't matter that the Taurus has the FLGR, you can remove it and put in the standard guide and plug.

I carry a full size 1911 (SA G.I.), it's the bottom of the line but runs fine for me. I don't generally like FLGR's, the weapon runs just fine as originally designed. One of those little 1911 wrenches makes it a lot easier to disassemble/reassemble too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The FLGR just adds a step for disassembly, and adds a tool. You need an allen wrench to take it out. The gun functions the same. Some claim the FLGR makes the gun more accurate. I think the difference in accuracy is small enough most of use wouldn't notice. It's easy and fairly cheap to change over to the standard plug if you don't like the FLGR, parts are easy to find (Midway). If you get your heart set on a particular gun but it only has a FLGR, switch it over.

+1 on the disassembly wrench, get one and save your fingers.

Of the choices you listed I would stick with the Springfields. Being a springer fan I may be a little biased, but I've never had a problem with any of my springers. You have to consider how the companies treat you after the sale, springers customer service can't be beat. I haven't heard too many good things about Taurus' customer service, just a lot of horror stories.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    The FLGR just adds a step for disassembly, and adds a tool. You need an allen wrench to take it out. The gun functions the same.
    That depends on the rod, there are two piece rods, and one piece rods, the two piece rod needs a tool to take apart into the two pieces, usually an Allen wrench or flat head screw, these like to come loose on their own and fly down range while shooting....

The one piece rod doesn't need a tool to take apart the rod as it is a little shorter in length so the bushing can clear the rod once the plug is depressed.

Do to the design of the plug, open so the rod can go through, it does help to have a busing wrench, just to keep the plug from digging into your fingers.

Axe the FLGR, there's only once reason that one should need a wrench to take off the bushing, and that's if it's all but impossible to remove the bushing if it's fit to the barrel to be that tight, I've had almost a dozen or more 1911s, and only one as needed the bushing wrench and that was my Les Baer. Your average Springer, S&W, Sig, Taurus, Colt, etc. don't need a wrench.

If I recall the OPs previous posts correctly, he wants a 1911 that doesn't need a bunch of dumb crap to take the gun apart for a basic field strip, that means NO FLGR.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Axe the FLGR, there's only once reason that one should need a wrench to take off the bushing, and that's if it's all but impossible to remove the bushing if it's fit to the barrel to be that tight, I've had almost a dozen or more 1911s, and only one as needed the bushing wrench and that was my Les Baer. Your average Springer, S&W, Sig, Taurus, Colt, etc. don't need a wrench.
    No, it certainly isn't needed, but my adventures across the room to find the plug and spring greatly decreased in frequency after I started using one. Not needed, but helpful.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I changed the FLGR on my Springfield to a G.I. "plug" and have not regretted it.

For "field use" I also like screw slotted Grip Screws over a Torx or Allen Wrench set-up.

Biker

Links