Buckmark vs. Mark III

This is a discussion on Buckmark vs. Mark III within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been contemplating a .22 pistol purchase since falling in love with my .22 Remington 597 (yeah, I said it!). However, I can't make up ...

Thread: Buckmark vs. Mark III

Buckmark vs. Mark III

I've been contemplating a .22 pistol purchase since falling in love with my .22 Remington 597 (yeah, I said it!). However, I can't make up my mind between Browning's Buckmark and the Mark III. My intended use for the gun is mostly plinking, occasionally dispatching pests, and actually carrying as a hiking companion.

The only fault I can find with either is that the Browning requires tools to break down for cleaning. Any thoughts one way or the other on which pistol I should get? I'll probably steer clear of the 7" barrels since I'll hike with it.

Thanks,
    maximumrob

2. Remove Ads

Browning is nice, but I'm really partial to the Mk II Target, if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Browning is nice, but I'm really partial to the Mk II Target, if you can find one.

Why the fondness of the Mark II Target?

I got my first gen Buckmark in '85, and it's a gem. If I only had one chance to make a shot with a handgun, the Buckmark would come out of the safe. It points beautifully, and has run flawlessly. I've shot a lot of Rugers, but own a Browning

They are both great guns. When I decided last spring to get one, I was willing to get either one, but could only find the Mark III locally so that's what I got.

It is a pain to clean, but it gets easier in time.

High Standard is also excellent, but costs two to three times as much.
    High Standard

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I own a Buckmark, it points better (for me), has a better trigger out of the box, is easier to put back together, and the barrel assembly isn't the registered part.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    My Ruger is Great. Would nt mind owning the buckmark either. You will be safe either way is my guess.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Lead Moderator
    Both guns have a good rep, so I think you would get a winner with either. I purchased a Buckmark in 90' and have used it alot. Originally I shot smallbore competition with the gun , later using it for plinking and hunting.
    The only real downfall of the Buckmark is you need to check the topstrap screws once in a while as they loosen up on their own and require tightening.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    Why the fondness of the Mark II Target?
    The MkII Target has the heavy barrel, purely an "aesthetics issue," as I just don't like the Luger-look of the tapered barrels.

The MkII also does not have the spontaneous abortion commonly referred to as the "loaded chamber indicator," that nasty, nasty bar and opening in the side of the MkIII receiver.

My opinion's not worth much as I've owned neither but having had opportunity to fire both on occasions, I'd take the Buckmark.

Good on ya' for embracing the wonderful .22 rim fire! There's not enough interest in .22s represented on the Forum.

Administrator
    I love my .22's as well, and I'd choose the Ruger. I like them because there are so many aftermarket gadgets that are fun to tinker with. The Browning is an excellent pistol too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like both, but I think the last time I checked the Browning was much more expensive.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I've shot both quite a bit (friends own them) and ended up buying a MkIII 22/45. It's great except for cleaning.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I own a Ruger 22/45 MkIII and a Buckmark, both with 5.5" bull barrels. My Ruger is stainless, my Buckmark is black. I bought the Ruger first, because nearly everyone in my entire extended family has Ruger 22's, mostly 22/45 Mark II's and Single 6's. I'm literally the only one out of dozens of uncles and cousins that owns a .22 handgun that isn't a Ruger. My friends all have Ruger .22's as well, in fact I can't think of anyone I know that owns anything but a Ruger, so buying anything else never really entered my mind.

I like my 22/45 MkIII, but I prefer the 22/45 MkII's that my family has, mostly because of the grip texture, althogh I'm not a fan of the loaded chamber indicator on it. The mag safety isn't a negative, in my opinion. It shoots well, and it's accurate and reliable. My friend's Mark II's and Mark III's feel and shoot the same for me.

I bought my Buckmark from a friend who won it at as a door prize, but didn't feel the need for a handgun in his house. I prefer the Buckmark over the Ruger, mostly because the grip feels better to me. It has the simplest grips you can get, black plastic with a thumb groove on each side, but the width feels better. It is also accurate and reliable, just like my Ruger.

Although the Ruger can be taken apart without tools, I find them both equally easy (or equally difficult) to break down. The barrel is not removable on the 22/45, so I like the fact that I can remove the barrel on the Buckmark.

The only downside I've found to the Buckmark is the cost of magazines, which are roughly 50% more expensive and much more difficult to find. Add to that the fact that the Buckmark comes with only one magazine, while the Ruger comes with two, and for me to have 5 mags for each cost almost exactly twice as much for the Buckmark.

Thanks guys for your input! I got the Buckmark Camper earlier this evening. The feedback provided here had the guns nearly equal, but the lighter weight of the Buckmark sold me on it over the Ruger.

Links