Why own a full-auto or burst-fire firearm?

This is a discussion on Why own a full-auto or burst-fire firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beyond arguments on where the right comes, worries about big brother, and social beak down, why would you want a full-auto or burst-fire firearm. Several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why own a full-auto or burst-fire firearm?

Beyond arguments on where the right comes, worries about big brother, and social beak down, why would you want a full-auto or burst-fire firearm.

Several threads concerning full-auto or burst-fire firearms come down to those who think 2A includes that right and those that do not. Please use those threads to rant on those issues. I'm hopeful for something more from this post. I'm sincerely looking to learn more about useful applications for these firearms.

I'm one of those who is inclined to agree with limitations on on full-auto or burst-fire firearms. However, if legal, or I could affiort the permit and firearm, I would own one. I don't even own an AR-15 or AK-47. I think about it, but there are other firearms higher on my list. I assure you, as a hobbyists, and for a SHTF situation, I would own both a select fire full-auto AK-47 and select fire burst-fire AR-15 if I could afford them or they were easier to own.

Anyone have another use for a full-auto or burst-fire firearm? Is there a hunting situation or some application I'm missing?

I should have posted this under general firearms not 2A.
    Last edited by Thanis; December 16th, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I should have posted this under general firearms not 2A.

Same reason I'd own an airplane if I could afford one. FUN! Even if I could afford the gun, the only thing I could hope to afford to feed would be a .22, whic BTW, I think would be an absolute blast. Full auto AR for STHF? I dunno, I wouldn't take the option off the table if I could, but I think burst would be better.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Just for fun. There doesn't have to be any other purpose (and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use for self-defense since they might not give you back your weapon after the investigation; of course, it would be good to have in case of alien zombie invasion).

I mean, why do some people buy steel-toe boots but do absolutely no physical work that requires the use of such boots? Some people just like them. Why do some people drive lifted pickups but never go offroading? They just like them.

Why do some women love those jimmy choo shoes that are uncomfortable and unbelievably expensive for a few straps of leather? Or big screen HDTVs? Fast cars?

It doesn't have to be practical. That's American freedom - as long as it isn't for an illegitimate purpose and doesn't hurt others, why not? Just take personal responsibility and it's all good.

1. The cool factor is off the charts

2. FUN to shoot

3. No more dangerous to the general public than semi autos. If the shooter can't hit with the 1st or 2nd shot, 3 through 30 will be ground to air missles.

4. There is no tactical reason that I can think of...unless you live in an area where large numbers or people might group together after some natural or man made disaster and decide that your stuff is now their stuff. A few well aimed bursts might change their mind.

5. Because sometimes a 30 round mag dump is a soul cleansing experience.

6. It's even more soul cleansing if you can do a 30 round mag dump without the people in the next stall knowing *** you just did, suppressors are even cooler than full auto
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    ...FUN! Even if I could afford the gun, the only thing I could hope to afford to feed would be a .22, whic BTW, I think would be an absolute blast...
    Never thought of that. Guess I would have to settle for a .22 as well. Maybe I would own an M-4 that had a .22 LR practice upper from Advantage Arms. Unfortunately my imagination is limited, well even in fantasy world, they are still based in CA, and there would still be greater limitations in CA, so mybe some other company.

Imagine the fun of a 10/22 rugger full auto with a 200 round drum. Cost, even with Golden Bullet .2 LR, about $7.50 in less than a minute. Na, the rim-fire jams would be plenty. Would need another round.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    ...Because sometimes a 30 round mag dump is a soul cleansing experience...

Well, most can already own a 30 round mag, depending on the state, jurisdiction, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    American 180... about 1800 rounds per minute with high velocity .22LR.

YouTube - American 180
    YouTube - American 180 Full Auto

Senior Moderator
    The only reason that an American needs to own a full auto...

because they can.

Not to mention they are alot of fun.

and they scare the pee out of anti gunners everywhere...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    American 180...
    Nice link.

Yes, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...fun. and they scare the pee out of anti gunners everywhere...
    That is a nice reason. You own a few don't you HotGuns? Can you think of any situation, besides fun at the range, that you would want to use them but can't because of limitations?

VIP Member
    Here is another one that looks like a lot of fun.

YouTube - .22 beltfed mini machinegun

I would truly love to own a BAR mainly for it’s historical value.

Senior Moderator
    No I don't actually "own" any. I do bring some home from the Sheriffs Office occasionally. I'll keep em for awhile and then turn it in for something else. The beauty of it is, that since they are all dept. guns and issued to me, they don't cost me anything...except to shoot.

I like to let people shoot them too. They never fail to get a kick out of them. I have even converted some of the "why do you need that?" types to wanting them. One thing about it, when someone shoots one the first time the never fail to smile.

I think the guns that were the most "fun" were the Colt 9MM AR, the MAC 9and the Thompson .45 auto that everyone has at the S.O. has shot at one time or another that has been there for 50+years.

One thing that I never understood though, Thanis, that you might be able to help me with.

Why is it that someone that has never shot one, want to ban ownership of them? There have only been a couple of instances where legally owned full autos have ever been used in a crime. Why would they ban a gun that has the smallest percentage of misuse of any type gun?

Why do you feel like a limitation on a full auto is OK? They are legal to own in most states, just like suppressors are.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Because that would be sooooo cool! Not only that, but it might take me back to my military days, and Jihad would become a word of the past!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...One thing that I never understood though, Thanis, that you might be able to help me with.

Why is it that someone that has never shot one, want to ban ownership of them? There have only been a couple of instances where legally owned full autos have ever been used in a crime. Why would they ban a gun that has the smallest percentage of misuse of any type gun?

Why do you feel like a limitation on a full auto is OK? They are legal to own in most states, just like suppressors are.
    I'll answer in a new thread.

I have a friend that owns several different makes ,I can fire anything I want anytime I want,they are cool but burn up lots of ammo really fast
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Compact firepower for situations where high volumes of lead at the target could be beneficial. Useful for suppressing a rougher attack, or a multiple-attacker situation such as spill-over from a riot or SHTF scenario. Thinking HK MP5, UMP, MP7.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pretty much what ccw9mm said. It offers multiple rounds on-target, beyond the ability of human reaction-time, without the spread of a SG, and at longer range.

If one can accurately shoot SA, there is no reason one cannot shoot FA accurately. Most people approach firearms more from the hobby-movie-lover bend than training for practical application. In that respect, most folks really shouldn't handle FA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links