Plan to visit Gettysburg Park this summer.

This is a discussion on Plan to visit Gettysburg Park this summer. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Pa. carry permit, can anyone tell me what the situation is with carrying in the park? Thanks in advance....

Thread: Plan to visit Gettysburg Park this summer.

Question Plan to visit Gettysburg Park this summer.

I have a Pa. carry permit, can anyone tell me what the situation is with carrying in the park? Thanks in advance.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - my wife and I did a two day tour there year before last - took the bike and had a great time. It is fascinating

In theory carry is not on because Historic Battlefield - and IIRC the visitor center etc is counted as Fed property.

In fact I was carrying, touring round the various battle sites, and only after realized re the Battle Site restriction!!! Concealed was concealed of course, tho no excuse, that was crazy ignorance.

I wrote up about the visit on THR and posted some pics - if that thread is still intact go take a peek in case of interest before you go.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...hreadid=100404
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    We're considering a trip there this year as well. Carry in National Parks is generally a no no.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

1943 - 2009
    Possession of an operable firearm is prohibited on lands administered by the U.S. National Park Service, with very few exceptions.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

havegunjoe,

If you make it to Gettysburg, I can recommend taking the bus tour. They stop at the different battlefields and our guide was VERY knowledgeable. My brother and I were on a scooter trip and wanted to see Gettysburg; the tour and guide really enhanced the visit. The who place left me with a feeling of respect for what happened there. We didn't carry in the park...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I've been to Gettysburg many many a time. In fact I was lucky enough to, in my younger days, actually camp out a few days on a battle field - across the road at the top of "Pickett's Charge". I've done the bus tour and walked both trails they provide, totalling like 25 miles all with very interesting sights along the way. I highly recommend both. I also highly recommend going into the town of Gettysburg [hopefully on a warmer night] and catching a guided tour through the city - a ghost walk. They take you around the city and talk about certain events [like when the battles raged on, this one particular stream was red with all the blood and ran right through town] and possible ghost sightings. It's a touristy thing to do but fun no less.....have fun be safe and hopefully you'll not even need your gun for that trip - I think there has been enough killing on those grounds to last an eternity.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Thanks for all the input folks, it was very helpful. I didn't think you could carry there so I will obey the rule. I was there so many years ago I think the cannons were still warm from the battle, but my wife has never been there. We are looking forward to that part of our trip.

By the way P95, GO STEELERS!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Assistant Administrator
    By the way P95, GO STEELERS!
    Rock on Joe

Did you check out that THR thread - it might give you some ideas as to what to see and where to go etc. I know for sure if you go you'll find it a memorable trip.

As has been said - there was enough blood spilled in that small area to last for eternity - it is quite sobering to be there.
    Chris - P95

I checked, maybe I am doing something wrong but I couldn't find it.

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - what happened when you went to the link?? IIRC THR will allow thread viewing without membership. Any error message?

I did check that, and it is still intact and came up for me.
    Chris - P95

Chris,

I believe that thread must have been in the roundtable, because I can't open it either.

That said, GO BRONCOS!

I'm pretty sure you can't carry there, and I guess you already know this from the rest of this thread. That being said, the Gettyberg Battlefield has a solemn sort of gravitas to the entire terrain. I had a friend who tried to take video on the ground of Picketts charge and his brand new video camera refused to work....JUST IN THAT ONE PLACE. I have heard of other folks who've gotten lost and have been led out by what they thought was a park employee dressed in period garb, only to discover that no such employee exists. The souls that were lost there remain restless. Still, I envy you the trip. As a teacher of American History, I could spend years there. Thank goodness that the majority of such trips I take are a partial tax write off for "professional development & research" LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Larry - thx - you have hit the nail. I had totally forgotten that and of course as a mod I can view it, tho in fact I thought we had that old stuff still archived as read only and still accessible to all..

Tell you folks what - as it is such an interesting place - I'll repost that material here - may be of interest to many - still have pics on server so - will hope to reconstruct here. Check later on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK - any interested go here -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ed=1#post74205
    Chris - P95

Ex,
    I've never heard of those situtations. I know when I visited there on my way home from Washington DC, the place felt very "heavy".
    Just thinking of what those soldiers went through for their beliefs is amazing.
    Two different visions for this republic.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    Ex,
    I've never heard of those situtations.
    Actually there are several books of stories on paranormal activity in and around the battlefield. Even the house where the chief ranger resides is haunted! I've seen too much in my life not to keep an open mind (and then some) on the topic.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links