New Or Used Firearms?

This is a discussion on New Or Used Firearms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who only seriously considers new firearms when making purchases? Who is willing to go the used route for desired guns? Why are you either willing ...

View Poll Results: New or Used Firearms?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm unwilling to consider purchase of used firearms.

10 7.30%
  • I'm willing to consider purchase of used firearms.

127 92.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Or Used Firearms?

New Or Used Firearms?

Who only seriously considers new firearms when making purchases?

Who is willing to go the used route for desired guns?

Why are you either willing or unwilling to trust a used firearm for self defense or other purposes?

2. Remove Ads

In the case of S&W revolvers I am always looking for used, (pre-lock) models.

me ! me! me !.....
    No doubt you can find some of the most killer deals looking at the used pieces. Someones safe queens because they were either too pretty to shoot or a family reminder, heirloom, etc.
    An example I'll use is the Kahr arms CW9 and case I am getting. I found out it is used from the owner, has had one magazine put thru her. Looks it too. $275 out the door.
    Another gem he has is a Glock 36 plus case, same 1 magazine full shot thru it. $350 out the door. He has no time to shoot, so he says. Unless one has too much of that green stuff around, Its a no-brainer for me.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

About half of my guns were bought used.

My P220 was a previously used pistol, and my 870 was a previously used shotgun, my Savage 110fp was a used rifle when I got it. All were as new condition when purchased. I like to check all options. I wouldn't have what I do if I only bought new. No issues with any of them. Even with a burning pocket, I'll do extensive research first.

Both my guns are used
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Moderator
    Several of my guns are used. I like looking at used guns

Of course I like looking at new guns too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The majority of my collection have been purchased used; in fact, about the only time I purchase new is when I'm pretty certain I'm getting a very good deal.

I've only had one used firearm turn out to be a total POS (a Century G3--the first, and last, Century product I will EVER purchase), and the dealer (one of my regulars) made good on it immediately--full refund (which I immediately turned into a S&W 500...one of my few new purchase guns). Which is why I tend to buy used guns from dealers I have a relationship with...they know me, know I spend money with them, and know I'll be back.

I will say that caveat emptor definitely applies when used gun shopping...you need to know what you are looking at, what to look for, and have a tolerance for minor imperfections (or, as I call them, "bargaining points"). In my experience, if you are the type to haggle, a dealer has more room to work with you on a used gun than a new gun.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I prefer new, but I won't refuse used........

I do my own work, so "used" is not an issue.

I believe that the average person, excluding forum members, actually rarely shoots the guns they have bought for home defense. Thus there are some seldom used second hand guns to be found.

JD
    Administrator
    About half of my guns have been bought used, if you know what to look for and/or have them checked by a smith, there's no danger in it.

I generally replace all the springs on used gun, but other than that after they go through a couple hundred round test I carry them.

My Les Baer was bought used, Lima's Wilson was bought used, my HK P7 was bought used (refurbished), as well as all three of my Colt .380s, our S&W 360 was a used gun, my Springfield 1911 was a used gun, as well as was Lima's Bersa .380 and my Browning Buckmark.

I've bought/traded a lot of used guns.

Why? NIB Wilson Combat $2400, LNIB Wilson Combat w/ one mag fired through it then safe queened...$1750 shipped.

I prefer to purchase new, but will buy used when going through an 01 FFL dealer.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Nothing wrong with used if you know what to look for. I am not the original owner of any of my carry guns. The are all mechanically sound and I got them for significantly less that I would have paid if I bought them NIB. The way I figure if proper maintenance was done, the gun doesn't know or care who is putting the rounds down range. They are just as worn as if I had bought them NIB and put every round through them. The difference is with what I saved I was able to buy holsters, magazines and ammo that I might not have had the cash for otherwise.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have bought several used guns with no problems. I see no reason not to. I just had a student test with his brand new .380 and something internal broke after only a few shots. He had taken it to the range once and put 50 rounds through it then this happened. So it can happen new or used.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links