Mailing letters from home

This is a discussion on Mailing letters from home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a letter addressed to the NRA. Typically, I just put my mail on my mailbox so that when the mailman comes, he picks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing letters from home

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I have a letter addressed to the NRA. Typically, I just put my mail on my mailbox so that when the mailman comes, he picks up the outgoing mail as he delivers the incoming mail.

But I was thinking, if I have a letter boldly addressed to the NRA and he notices that, he could (rightly) conclude that I would have firearms in the house. Now, depending on who this guy is, that type of information can get out.

Would it be better to mail those types of letters in a box, anonymously, versus overtly declaring I have firearms in the house. Or have I been a member here too long?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Drop away from home........go directly to the Post Office........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Anything like that, especially bills with checks in them (yes we still use checks), I take to the drop box. There have been too many dumped mailboxes in my town and too much to risk for me not to.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I write very few checks anymore...everything is on-line, but I don't worry about what the mail(man) thinks/sees.

My mail gal noticed my gun magazines and now talks about her new guns all the time......she has her permit and shoots on her land all the time....pretty cool!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I write very few checks anymore...everything is on-line, but I don't worry about what the mail(man) thinks/sees.

My mail gal noticed my gun magazines and now talks about her new guns all the time......she has her permit and shoots on her land all the time....pretty cool!
    I agree 100%
    How about receiving in your mailbox all the catalogs that mean GUNS like Cheaper Than Dirt,Sportsman Guide, ant the NRA magazines; are you going to get a PO Box; then they might watch you when you come pick up your mail and you'll have to disarm ???
    No, I'm not going to start a "Post Office Carry" discussion

There was a movie called "The Ghostrider" with Nicolas Cage, was it last year ? The main character keeps saying:" You can't live in fear"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

How about receiving in your mailbox all the catalogs that mean GUNS like Cheaper Than Dirt,Sportsman Guide, ant the NRA magazines; are you going to get a PO Box; then they might watch you when you come pick up your mail and you'll have to disarm ???
    No, I'm not going to start a "Post Office Carry" discussion
    +20

I must agree with you.

starshooter231
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

I use the UPS store for most of my sending and receiving. It's handy and much more secure than the outgoing mail slot at our apartment complex. The less my neighbors know about us the better as far as I'm concerned.

There is of course cost involved, but for the security and the fact that I don't have to disarm I'm willing to pay it.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd not worry about that, and if I were to be concerned I'd have to mail it without a return address because every mail handler along the way could put two and two together.

In my experience the postal service has pretty darn good and trustworthy delivery people. I think the concern is basically a bit too much.

My mailman is also a gun enthusist. His property actually has an old trap shooting area on it. He was talking about opening a gun store. In fact he glances through some of the gun mags coming to my address. I also give him some of my old Midway and Brownells catalogs.

Do I worry about my mailman? Hell no. Our post office only has six or seven employees and I know all of them.

Do you buy ammo online and have it shipped to your house? If you do, I'm sure your UPS driver knows you have firearms in there. Are you worried about that? I'm not. I also don't worry that my mail person probably knows either. I get enough from the NRA, Cabelas, Midway, Natchez, etc. that there is no possible way they can't know.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

VIP Member
    I don't mail letters from my mailbox due to possible theft, not because of what the mailman might see.

I use a P.O. box return address for everything I can so nothing will get left on my porch or in my mailbox while no one is home. I realize some companies will not ship to a P.O, but I can't prevent all theft. All I can do is minimize the possibility of theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I use the UPS store for most of my sending and receiving. It's handy and much more secure than the outgoing mail slot at our apartment complex. The less my neighbors know about us the better as far as I'm concerned.

There is of course cost involved, but for the security and the fact that I don't have to disarm I'm willing to pay it.

Holdcard
    I've owned a "POSTNET" franchised store (like the old MBE but better) for 11 years and I'll welcome CCW carriers all day long. We get many people renting mailboxes for various reasons some of those which have already been discussed in this thread.

Speaking of the UPS stores, did you guys know that UPS bought out MBE and turned them all into UPS stores?

VIP Member
    Well Since I receive 2 different NRA magazines as well as the North American Hunter magazine, and various catalogs from hunting/shooting suppliers at my house, I would assume my mailman suspects I own guns. I haven't mailed a check In I can't remember how long, I still have some 37 cent stamps if that gives you an idea. I personally don't worry about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As a 19 year mail carrier, we don't care or have the time to look at what people are mailing and to whom. We just grab it out of the box and put into a tub with everyone else's outgoing mail. When we get back to the office, the tub is dumped into a hamper and that is the last that we see of the outgoing mail. Besides, if you are sending letters to the NRA, than you are probably getting letters and magazines from them too. We frankly don't care and aren't interested in what you are sending or receiving in the mail. Stop being so paranoid, your mail is not that interesting except to you.

Quote Originally Posted by rueljr View Post
    As a 19 year mail carrier, we don't care or have the time to look at what people are mailing and to whom. We just grab it out of the box and put into a tub with everyone else's outgoing mail. When we get back to the office, the tub is dumped into a hamper and that is the last that we see of the outgoing mail. Besides, if you are sending letters to the NRA, than you are probably getting letters and magazines from them too. We frankly don't care and aren't interested in what you are sending or receiving in the mail. Stop being so paranoid, your mail is not that interesting except to you.
    Glad I read the second page of this thread. Not a Postal Carrier myself, and I was going to say the same thing. When I'm at work, everything's automatic. I'm not analyzing every little detail, in a mundane day.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links