The next handgun / firearm advancement.

This is a discussion on The next handgun / firearm advancement. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm limited in my exposure in to firearm advancements beyond the local gunshop, TV, a few articles, and the internet. Several of the forum members ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next handgun / firearm advancement.

The next handgun / firearm advancement.

I'm limited in my exposure in to firearm advancements beyond the local gunshop, TV, a few articles, and the internet. Several of the forum members attend trade shows or are Military / LEO that get more exposure then I do.

Any thoughts on the next innovative SD firearm or advancement. Not looking for Sci-fi possibilities. Have there been anything you have seen in the last few years that you think will soon gain in popularity?

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I thing the handgun/pistol venue has been exhausted as for innovative concepts other than caliber/capacity which may become a mute point in the near future. I will say that the most innovative thing I've heard of this year is the piston operated AR-15 over the gas operated in my opinion. But the jury is still deliberating on that one far as I'm concerned. Other than that....I figure we would be talking science fiction.

Advancement or restriction?

It going to be a toss up with the new regime coming in.

The revolver has pretty much unchanged in the last 150 years, and autos have seen a striker fired version and plastic, single and double action, otherwise mostly unchanged in the last 100. Bio safety and electronic fired never caught on. Caseless tried and died. Variations in rifling design.

I have an imagination, but I think we have pretty well maxed out the capabilities of the handgun.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If it weren't for the aversion to auto fire weapons that exists in our country I would have said the metalstorm guns. They're about the coolest things to happen (yet never happen) to the industry hat I've born witness to.

I'm with Ramrod on the piston driven AR's. May prove to be a great step forward if it's widely adopted. Right now I'm not sold.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    These are cool...

H&K XM-8
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

This is a cute idea- but not really 'groundbreaking' I guess.

FMG-9 (Magpul Glock Carbine) - Weapon Evolution
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Future Stuff. I see casingless rounds to increase capacity. The metalstorm idea seems viable. Directed energy weapons?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Whatever it is, it probably won't be legal for us to own. If the politicians today had been around in the 1800s, right now the only weapons legal for civilian ownership would be muskets. Everything else would be 'military weapons'.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Whatever it is, it probably won't be legal for us to own. If the politicians today had been around in the 1800s, right now the only weapons legal for civilian ownership would be muskets. Everything else would be 'military weapons'.
    I agree. Interesting isn't it? The actual meaning of the 2nd Amendment, as spelled out in the Federalist Papers, was to guarantee to the citizenry access to the same weapons the Military uses so that if need be, we could fight the Government and its forces (ie the Military) if the Government should become tyrannical. And now we find ourselves in the situation of being completely denied access to those very weapons. Perhaps the Government has already become tyrannical and we were just too stupid to notice.

As for the OP's question....the Sig P250 was the last really new idea in handgun tech. I still think it is a pretty nifty idea.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Here ya go... in 10 years, this will be the size of a WWII flamethrower... in 20 years, it will be a baton... probably with "repel" and "incinerate" settings...

Click here

and here

and here

10 minute video of the ADS
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

OD*
    "What's old, is new again."

Chicago Palm Pistol
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

The handgun market is not exactly very innovation friendly. People look for reliable proven designs, less for gadgets. I think that may changes as more first time buyers start looking. Now if this will be good or bad... who knows.

The P250 was about as innovative as it gets in the industry, and really... it is not really any different from what they did before when it comes to the basic function of the gun

For the distance future:
    - caseless ammunition. If they ever get it to work (not sure if anybody is actually trying these days).
    - "exploding bullets" with preset target distances. Probably a military only technology due to regulation and price.
    - less then lethal ammunition for handguns and maybe combined lethal/less lethal platforms.

One thing I haven't discussed but would like to see a pump action shotgun that allows easy switching between two different kind of rounds. Kind of like a coach gun where you can have two different rounds in each barrel, but with the capacity of a pump action gun.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I had one a few years ago. Not an earth shaking idea but one that could have some uses.

It was a system that showed the number of rounds remaining in a magazine.
    Could be retrofit on most pistol magazines and of course be built in any new manufacture.

All you had to do was look at the base plate and the number was shown clearly with no batteries or any other junk. It allowed magazines to be made with no indicator holes or other cut outs and could also be used for fire control by police agencies. Magazines issued by the agency would show if the handgun was fired and how many rounds, (the system would not be able to be reset in that instance.)

Registered it with the Patent people and submitted it to every gun manufacturer and maker of magazines in the country.

I guess it didn't sound like there was a marker for such a thing so no responses.. LOL

Bosco

I think it will be materials used in firearms. There is not much design wise that hasn't been done. There will be more attempts at "smart" guns to appease Chuck Schumer and his ilk, but nothing commercially viable for the next five years I would bet.
    I also expect to see more advancement in ammuniton. I can see premium defensive ammo optimized for barrel length. Imagine all of the powder being burned before the bullet exits the muzzle, maximum velocity with no muzzle flash. Bullet and jacket alloys that will give the load for sub compacts similar penetration and expansion to the load from a full size.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links